Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: IC engine fuel  (Read 7723 times)

Pilot 10

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
IC engine fuel
« on: January 13, 2013, 08:27:10 pm »

Hi can any one tell me what fuel to use my engine is a MAX-H OS 40, i am extremely new to this so do i need to add oil to the fuel or will it come mixed? or no oil in the fuel?
many thanks

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: IC engine fuel
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 08:50:32 pm »

Hi can any one tell me what fuel to use my engine is a MAX-H OS 40, i am extremely new to this so do i need to add oil to the fuel or will it come mixed? or no oil in the fuel?
many thanks
Depends what you are using it for but most engine manufacturers these days recommend at least 20% oil, straight castor, semi-synthetic or a mixture, you also need to decide how much if any Nitro content you wish to use (Nitro increases the power output of the engine) go to www.modeltechnics.com where you will find different Nitro fuels and their contents, I use Supaglow 10 for my ASP 46M engine
Cheers
Scoop
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back

Pilot 10

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 08:52:11 pm »

thanks Scoop i'll have a look and order some.

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 07:39:04 pm »

thanks Scoop i'll have a look and order some.
[/quote

My experience of SiuperGlo is not good. Took out 4 conn rods in in 4 engines -  3 x SC, 1 x Irvine two years ago, so I reverted back to DuraGlo.
High castor is good but low synthetic if you feel the need to use a synthetic

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 05:14:12 am »

I always used modeltechnics techpower fuel in my IC planes
http://www.modeltechnics.com/glowfuel.htm

looking at their website the Bekra fuel looks interesting, the no mess option sounds tempting
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:58:24 am »

You need the higher oil content for better cooling in boat engines, funnily enough one of my mates had the same problem breaking conrods in his boat engine when using both duraglo and dynaglo, changed to supaglow and has had no problems since  :-))  Bekra not good for boats, designed for heli's. I've seen duraglow 16% destroy a  cmb67 hydro motor everytime it was run, needed a new piston, liner head button and bearings every time it was raced, not good :((  and a tad expensive
Cheers
Scoop

Den W

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 08:42:56 am »

Hi Pilot 10,  theres a guy called Bernard Holder in Thornbury nr Bristol ,he,s been winning races in OMRA for years.in fact he holds most records of champion than anyone, he uses "Castor Straight" in all his engines I believe he gets it from Antics  Models .that says it all ..hope this helps ...good luck
1 Small Part of  "OMRA,s" Great Team

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:45:28 am »

You two Guys seem to have the same AVATAR.

Would you consider changing them as people are recognised by their Avatars.

We do have a thread on the subject if you could have a look please.

Click Link to read all about it,

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum
/index.php?topic=41326.msg415246#msg415246

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 11:46:20 am »

A bit like mine then.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 08:53:40 am »

Bit like someone else is using "mine" and I did comment on that sometime ago.
For some reason or other my posts previous to the "BIG CRASH" were not linked back to me......

Scoop - my problems were with SUPERGLO an no other fuel. Back on DuraGlo and no recent on rod
problems  since the transfer back

ids987

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 11:16:00 am »

The subject of fuel, and oil content always seems to be a bit contentious; whenever it comes up on any of the forums.
Speaking purely from personal experience (because it's all I can really speak from), I have run nothing but Duraglo 10 and Duraglo 16 in my .45 and larger engines (mostly CMB .45 and CMB .90), for 5 or 6 years now, and have not had any fuel / oil related breakages in that time. No bearing failures, and no cooked needle bearings. Prior to that, I used to run mostly O'Donnell or Byron "RTR" fuel (the race fuel has low oil content, RTR has more), but both are very expensive, and harder to get. I don't think the O'Donnell fuel is available over here any more. I still run Byron's 30 or 33% fuel in my .21s. One of those is RTR, the other is "Race"; can't remember which is which, but for the Race blend, I add, or have the model shop add castor @~200ml per US gallon. It was said, a couple of years back, that the "recipe" for EDL had been changed, and a number of people running Duraglo (and other fuels based on EDL), seemed to start suffering from bearing failures and needle roller / crankpin issues at that time. Not sure what happened from thereon in.

Hi Pilot 10,  theres a guy called Bernard Holder in Thornbury nr Bristol ,he,s been winning races in OMRA for years.in fact he holds most records of champion than anyone, he uses "Castor Straight" in all his engines

I could be wrong, but I think Bernard runs either GX5 or GN5. In terms of oil though, the principle is the same (as Castor Straight). I believe Castor Straight, GX5, and GN5 all have 20% Castor and no synthetic oil (if I remember rightly) - just that GN5 has 5% Nitro, and GX5 has some sort of nitro equivalent. Hard to go wrong with 20% Castor, and Bernard is a living example of "to finish first, first you have to finish".

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 10:37:01 am »

The subject of fuel, and oil content always seems to be a bit contentious; whenever it comes up on any of the forums.
Speaking purely from personal experience (because it's all I can really speak from), I have run nothing but Duraglo 10 and Duraglo 16 in my .45 and larger engines (mostly CMB .45 and CMB .90), for 5 or 6 years now, and have not had any fuel / oil related breakages in that time. No bearing failures, and no cooked needle bearings. Prior to that, I used to run mostly O'Donnell or Byron "RTR" fuel (the race fuel has low oil content, RTR has more), but both are very expensive, and harder to get. I don't think the O'Donnell fuel is available over here any more. I still run Byron's 30 or 33% fuel in my .21s. One of those is RTR, the other is "Race"; can't remember which is which, but for the Race blend, I add, or have the model shop add castor @~200ml per US gallon. It was said, a couple of years back, that the "recipe" for EDL had been changed, and a number of people running Duraglo (and other fuels based on EDL), seemed to start suffering from bearing failures and needle roller / crankpin issues at that time. Not sure what happened from thereon in.

I could be wrong, but I think Bernard runs either GX5 or GN5. In terms of oil though, the principle is the same (as Castor Straight). I believe Castor Straight, GX5, and GN5 all have 20% Castor and no synthetic oil (if I remember rightly) - just that GN5 has 5% Nitro, and GX5 has some sort of nitro equivalent. Hard to go wrong with 20% Castor, and Bernard is a living example of "to finish first, first you have to finish".
Indeed an example to us all, Bernard took the BMPRS A, B & C class championships in his first full year of racing with us during 2012 , I don't think he runs with OMRA anymore though.
Cheers
Scoop

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 10:59:57 am »

I have been using that avatar since joining Mayhem, I believe shawtingling has recently changed his to the same from something that was completly different, maybe he likes the look of the wavey flag better  {-) Cheers Scoop  :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 02:54:40 pm »

It's still the same as a Moderator who joined in 2007.

Just trying to be reasonable and save confusion over recognition signatures.

ken

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 04:18:18 pm »

It's still the same as a Moderator who joined in 2007.

Just trying to be reasonable and save confusion over recognition signatures.

ken

Hi Ken..... after your tug at my collar and for the sake of peace and harmony I've changed my Avatar from the wavey flag to my old D class race winning boat  :-))  Cheers Scoop

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 07:37:44 pm »

Hi Ken..... after your tug at my collar and for the sake of peace and harmony I've changed my Avatar from the wavey flag to my old D class race winning boat  :-))  Cheers Scoop

hmmm very gentlemanly like scoop  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) just like the way we race at bmprs O0 O0 O0 .  i wonder if others will change there avatar that people are already using !!

mark

BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 08:07:05 pm »

hmmm very gentlemanly like scoop  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) just like the way we race at bmprs O0 O0 O0 .  i wonder if others will change there avatar that people are already using !!

mark
I say old chap, why does your boat look faster on your avatar than my boat looks on my avatar  :D :} {-) 
Cheers
Scoop

'ere I just noticed BMR's down below, his boat looks faster than both of ours  %%

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 08:25:31 pm »

bernard does run gx5 it is 20 percent castor with no synthetic,and i know his engines run and perform well, :-))  bernard has been made the pinnacle of gentlemanly racers and i for one am glad hes racing at BMPRS with me :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :}   ps,is someone eating a cupcake for 20??? {-) {-) :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 08:29:27 pm »

Thank you Guys.      :kiss:

I do like the different racing boats. Says it all don't you think. Lovely

Ken

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 08:40:36 pm »

Thank you Guys.      :kiss:

I do like the different racing boats. Says it all don't you think. Lovely

Ken

hi ken

we do try to please you know at bmprs  ok2 ok2 ok2 :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

bernard does run gx5 it is 20 percent castor with no synthetic,and i know his engines run and perform well, :-))  bernard has been made the pinnacle of gentlemanly racers and i for one am glad hes racing at BMPRS with me :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :}   ps,is someone eating a cupcake for 20??? {-) {-) :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

kurt
your just jealous m8 droowl  {-) {-) {-)

not sure this is really what the thread is about but i will check if it has castor in it  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 08:45:23 pm »

he hey hey old chap i say u know you said my avatar looked fast checkout black magics, its that fast its like its stood still ! ok2 ok2 so theres hope for yours !  {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: {-) {-) {-) {-)

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 09:48:17 pm »

TMBC,I take it thats just your bedtime snack mate :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:   :} :} :} :} save me some plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, :-)) and you know my boats the fastest, :-))
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 09:56:12 pm »

TMBC,I take it thats just your bedtime snack mate :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:   :} :} :} :} save me some plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, :-)) and you know my boats the fastest, :-))

if i save u some youll be able to catch me up ! lol   your boats are fast yeah when there coming out of a bush backwards  O0 O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-) {-) %% %% %% %% :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

oh oh oh forgot too busy eating aint checked for castor yet !!!!  {-) :}

ids987

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 12:16:32 am »

not sure this is really what the thread is about but i will check if it has castor in it  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Probably got Caster (sugar) in it.....
50% Caster perhaps ??

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 12:23:31 am »

Think you are right there Ian, supposed to be talking castor oil not sugar, mind u Mark looks as though he had more than a fair share tonight, I think someone may have been celebrating a Birthday  8)  ..........maybe the castor oil will come in useful afterall  {-) {-) {-)

Scoop
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.