Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: rtr yacht £39.99 in LIDL  (Read 16055 times)

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
rtr yacht £39.99 in LIDL
« on: May 17, 2007, 01:25:18 pm »

I just got me a RTR yacht from that purveyour of cheap food and tat LIDL. £39.99 it cost me, I'll fill you all in on the details as soon as I get it home. (I coudnt really bring it back to the office).
Expensive lunch break.
If any one beats me to the pond post your experience here.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: rtr yacht £39.99 in LIDL
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 01:33:38 pm »

Hi all, they still have some for sale.  55cm. x 12cm. x 87cm.
regards Roy

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070517.p.Remote_Controlled_Model_Sailing_Yacht.ar2

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 05:46:10 pm »

According to my LIDL list, we don't get them in Bridlington E Yorks store until Sat 26th.

Bob  :'(

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 08:45:34 pm »

It's strange. I only popped in for a pasta salad and hey presto - a yacht. Must admit that sail is not my passion but I'll give it a go for the sake of £40.  It's still in the boot of car, I shall sprint down there and stow it in the shed under the cover of darkness.
Mrs Mogsy caught me bidding on e.bay the other night so potentially this months hobby allowance has gone allready. Thank goodness she'll never see my bill from Graham at Modeldock. ;)   

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Lidl's B-square RTR (clone of the Graupner University club )
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 08:47:38 pm »

Avaliable for the measly sum of £39.99, this small baby yacht, just proud of half a meter in length, is quite a little number, having had a University club before I knew pretty much what to expect, and well this is what I got when I opened the box.

Unlike the Hobbyengine model of the Uni Club, this little baby requires a little bit of assembly, mainly building up the mast and rigging and sails, where the Hobby Engine was fully rigged, just needing tensioning of the sails.  On the box, it states Radio range 100m, hmmm may be a little shy there, I think that range may be pretty close to a Futaba or hitec AM set. 

As for the clone factor, the B-square is pretty much right on the mark, I had mine stripped down to set the rudder up, so there's the warranty gone straight away! the peek inside whilst carryiing out this basic task showed me that the hull is TOTALLY IDENTICAL, right down to the positioning of the rx mouning in the upper cabin space.  The reason for going inside the hull was the rudder out of the box had more throw to right than left, and infact it had virtually no throw to the left, repositioning of the servo-arm and the control linkage sorted that out. 

Depending on how mine performs on the water, I may upgrade the internals with a futaba sail winch and maybe a Futaba rx, though for a fun yacht that can be relaxing on the water, then try one of its clones :)
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 11:13:10 pm »

mogsy I had one before called Graupner University club, some of you may know it as Sea-lite by Ripmax, however I too have one now and if my uni club was anything to go by, it should sail ok as long as wind isnt too strong.

Rafale Atlantique maidens tomorrow

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Lidl's B-square RTR (clone of the Graupner University club )
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 12:42:18 am »

I saw these the other day in Lidl, great value for money I thought.

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lidl's B-square RTR (clone of the Graupner University club )
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 02:33:30 am »

i had one before, unfortunately a meeting with the milk crate of doom killed it, boat wasnt even in the water either when it happend, so i figured i'd replace it

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 03:26:01 am »

There is a long thread on this boat here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683468

It seems that if you modify them a lot they sail OK.
But standard they are not good in any more than light winds.

Mods on this site include,
Keel fin
Keel bulb
RxTx
battery
and Ductape  :o
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 08:20:29 am »

We had one of these turn up at our lake last Sunday. Well it sailed, but dont let anyone tell you watching model boats is boring !!

The chap put it into the water and off it went, quite well . But he had no control over it whatsoever. Off it sailed nicely close hauled but unfortunately straight off across the lake.

The wind was not very strong so it was sailing fairly slowly and normally we would have rescued it for him by sending out a tug with a floating line attached and pulling it back to shore. But most of us ( including the member with the line ) had gone off for a walk with our boats up the lake and when we got back the yacht was too far out to be recovered.

I must point out here that the far bank is nearly three quarters of a mile away.

The yacht merrily sailed on until we could only see it through binoculars. It eventually reached the far shore - inevitably at the one point which is almost inaccesible,
as the bank just there is a mass of slate waste dropping into very deep water.

The owner had driven round to the other side of the lake and after a while we saw a member of the local sub-aqua club (whose headquarters is nearby) in a wetsuit gingerly climbing along the bank , in and out of the waters edge towards the model.

By this time the wind had increased.    Just as he was as close as twenty feet from the yacht a strong gust knocked it flat, swung it round , and off it set back across the lake !

He went back to the owner and we saw them having a conversation. Meanwhile the yacht was driving out into the lake but with the stronger wind it was lying flat and drifting down  the length of the lake.

Next thing we see is a fully equipped diver, wet suit head to toe, large flippers and cylinders on his back entering the water and starting to swim after the yacht.  Of course by this time it had gone a LONG way down the lake and was drifting away from the diver almost as fast as he could swim.

However he persevered, swimming steadily on his back and occasionally turning to see where the model was.

The the model began to fill with water and lying flat as well, was hardly visible.   Stavros launched his Marblehead and sailed it to the little yacht, then circled it so that the diver had something to aim for. Eventually the diver got to the model and slowly swam back to our shore  with it. "That was the longest swim I have ever done he said"  when we got to him - it must have been nearly a mile altogether.

I don't know how much the owner rewarded the diver, but it was a lot of effort just to recover such a cheap little item. !!!

Great entertainment for us though. :D

Off to the lake now - maybe he will bring it again today - (or maybe not  ;D)

Don B

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 12:15:47 pm »

Perhaps it is fair to call this boat a 'pond sailer'  :)

And it would be unrealistic to describe Llyn Padarn as a pond.  ;D

Hopefully I will back in UK next summer (2008) so perhaps I can be the crew at Llanberis.

TT

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 07:02:49 pm »

I plan to re-sail mine with better sails, any idea what material to use???

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 03:22:44 am »

I plan to re-sail mine with better sails, any idea what material to use???

I got Dacron sail cloth from Sails etc
http://www.sailsetc.com/sailmakingmaterials.htm
you can buy by the meter, A half meter would be more than enough.

They also sell the eylets and the eylet punch for not much money

Thier service is good.
No connection, just a happy customer.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 06:15:47 pm »

tiger, what dimensions did you use?

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 07:07:37 pm »

You lucky lot, by the time I've paid for fuel and parking to my nearest store it will cost me about £60-00. But I don't get the leaflets so most of the time I don't know what I'm missing.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 08:59:33 am »

I got the sail material and cut my own.

You could use your old sails as a guide, and make larger or smaller. If y ou are not competing it does nto matter.
Also the sailsetc site has a free download on makeing your own sails which will help.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful

TT

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 07:33:51 pm »

tiggs, ive managed to get in touch with housemartin sails, they're gonna do a new set for me.  :) ive packaged the entire lot up ready for shipping, :) going to use 50mc film with eyelets.  They did my Rafale Atlantique 1 set, (RA1 being a Grauner University Club, an identical boat with practically identical sails!)  Rafale Atlantique 2 will hopefully handle as well as Atlantique 1.

from Barry at westbourne there is a new battery and switch loom on the way, that way i can get the batteries RIGHT DOWN in the hull and be able to get nav lights installed as well yes nav lights on a model yacht! (i must be mad!!!)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 01:59:49 am »

tiggs, ive managed to get in touch with housemartin sails, they're gonna do a new set for me.  ...from Barry at westbourne there is a new battery and switch loom on the way, ...nav lights installed as well yes nav lights on a model yacht! (i must be mad!!!)

And all for only 39.99  ;) :D ;D

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 10:40:49 pm »

well the swich and battery have arrived

boat stripped down now

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 05:32:05 pm »

sails ordered, plan on way to house martin sails :)

also old sails going there to see if anything can be done with them.  servo extention lead ordered :)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 07:47:34 pm »

well the new sails have arrived

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 12:52:41 am »

I was at LIDL Monday, and they were doing them for 19 . 99

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 05:28:29 pm »

I was at LIDL Monday, and they were doing them for 19 . 99
#

bloody hell thats dropped in price!  its worth it jst for the radio

Bradders

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 05:30:43 pm »

What is the radio like inside the yacht?

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 07:01:02 pm »

The radio in question inside the Lidl B-Square 08 (what a **** name!!!) is almost identical to the radio that was inside my Southampton and University Club, (both Hobby engine "Graupner" products), the only difference here being the Lidl unit does not have the adjustable tab on the rudder that varies End points. 

The Transmitter.
coming with an integral carry handle, the Transmitter has an interchangable crystal unit, and fully adjustable trim sliders, as well as a 5 LED battery indicator.  to the side of the case is a charging socket that is compatible with Futaba chargers. below the sticks are the servo reverse units.  If you take the case apart, you can remove the spring and adjust the sticks at the pot with a screw driver.  (not recommended unless you know what you are doing), from what I can see, you may be able to install a ratchet.

The reciever.
situated towards the front of the boat, the Reciever is identical to the ones that Southampton owners will be familiar with, 3 slots, one for battery, two for servos.  the plugs on the reciever are compatible with Futaba type plugs, so if you need to change a servo in the future, there will be no problems there. 

Servo units.
Unbranded cheap servos, however they are identical in size to S3003 type Futaba servos, and so changing them wont be a problem, especially as they have identical plugs.

The weak point in the radio assembly is the switch located under the steering wheel of the model, as it tends to rust easily, My recomendation is that the battery tray is replaced by a 4cell Futaba battery with switch, allowing it to be charged in the boat. this will also get some weight lower into the hull. 

Range. 
It states on the instructions, "Range 100m", to be honest, it is (Probably) capable of going out further, this i think is a legal disclaimer, though at 100m you may find the boat a tad hard to see.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.