Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loading photos from 3rd party site  (Read 1293 times)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Loading photos from 3rd party site
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:09:53 am »

This is primarily an interesting case of copyright, but equally importantly for all those members who keep their photos on other sites.
It may well be that your photos are no longer yours to do as you wish.
Bottom line, have you read and fully understand the terms and conditions applying to your photos on the site where they are stored.
Interesting comment about facebook.

Uploading photos

People who upload their photos to file-sharing websites retain copyright over the images but the terms and conditions on the websites can greatly affect their rights, Newcastle lawyer Melanie Wilde says.
Photo-sharing website Instagram caused outrage when it changed its terms and conditions to grant itself extensive rights to use uploaded photos without taking ownership of them.
That has now been changed to having ''non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited licence to use ... publicly display, reproduce and translate'' subscribers' photos, the website states.
Put simply, the new terms and conditions, which take effect on Saturday, could grant Instagram a licence to do whatever it wanted with uploaded photos, Mrs Wilde said.
Facebook has similar conditions to Instagram while other websites such as Flickr state that copyright is protected.

Read more:http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/photographer-sues-over-stolen-photo-20130115-2cqh1.html#ixzz2I2LLzOJz

Gunna build those other boats one day.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Loading photos from 3rd party site
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 11:00:48 am »

Even more of a bottom bottom line is when someone spits their dummy out of the cot after putting photies in an artical and kills them. Happy enough to take the adulation when the milk's fresh but makes a mockery of "Sharing" with the community if they have a spat.  >>:-(  Even watermarking can be erased so if yer not happy with what might happen, don't post photos.
  Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 11:15:59 am »

This is an interesting twist but not surprising. I have for a long time assumed that if I post any of my own pictures on any web site they are then in the public domain. If I wish to retain copyright or   restrict any particular picture then I do not post that picture on any open storage facility such as Flicker, photobucket   or web site.
Bowwave

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 11:28:42 am »

Copyright is always a contentious issue, especially amongst professionals whose livelihoods depend on correct usage of their work.  There will always be those happy to steal from others though and the Internet is a place where that particular practice is rife.

I agree with Bowwave in that, although some like Flickr do their best to ensure protection, it's best to assume that those looking at the work on the Internet aren't so honest...
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.