Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint Faults  (Read 3495 times)

Stavros

Paint Faults
« on: January 19, 2013, 07:02:21 pm »

Right then where do we start AH HA yes With a mahoosive disaster that someone who shall remain nameless YES ME should have known better  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

But it goes to show that even so called experts get it wrong sometimes ....SO Tug Kenny you will definatly feel better now wont you .................STOP LAUGHING WILL YOU

The result

Will post more pics ltr

Dave

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Paint Faults
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 08:04:12 pm »

that looks exactly like one i did earlier

halfords grey primer in a can over either humbrol enamel or some varnish sealant..... <:(  monumental disaster,

there may be hope for me yet then  :}

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 09:05:08 pm »

Chris How RIGHT you are,there is a NASTY habit in our Hobby of overcoating with bloomin VARNISH whatever for it baffles Me as there is plenty of paint out there which is either Matt or Satin so why someone wants to varnish over baffles me as there is NO REASON to do so.

If you are afraid that as the finish that you need on a wooden hull is matt then simply seal the wood with car laquer prior to the application of the matt or satin colour.

Right some more pics

Right then how to cure this monumental MESS.
There are 2 ways of approaching this.
1 Let it dry and sand down
2 Or the STAVROS way.

So guess what route I took. {-) {-) {-)

The best way in MY opinion is to scrape all the paint off before it has dried ..Yes I know it is messy BUT I think it will save one heck of a lot of work later.What I personally do is to get the widest wood chisel that I have got sharpen it up so it is super sharp and scrape all the paint off using the chisel as a scraper......My thoughts on this is that it will stop the reaction in it's tracks and also remove 99% of the problem.

Right the only cure now is to use 180 grit paper rubbing down Dry and simple no other way of saying this get rid of ALL the Paint on the wood,yes you read it right.

Now I will let you into a little secret here there is a product out there that we in the painting trade use and it is available to you guys as well,it is a product called BARCOAT you can obtain this on ebay or any good  Motor Paint factors.

It can be applied by spray gun or Airbrush No need for any thinners use straight out of the can,One thing I MUST point out with this stuff is that you DO NOT rub it down after application,you simply just apply primer over the top of it.
Obviously you will need to rub down the hull and get rid of the mess before application of Barcoat.You can apply by roller or brush as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500ML-PAINT-SEALER-PAINT-ISOLATOR-BARCOAT-PAINT-PRIMER-LACQUER-ISOLATE-IT-1K-RFU-/170843490074?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item27c710c71a.

But I aint got any so what do we do,well simply apply some clear laquer applied dry and then try a test area to see if it reacts if not then on with the primer :-)) :-)) :-))

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 06:23:46 pm »

Right then time to get busy with the sandpaper and the sander.A Makita ordinarry orbital sander was used on the majority of the deck to get the old paint off quickly,this was loaded with 80 grit paper.As soon as this was done the hard work commenced,every last bit of the old paint had to come off.The edges were scraped with a super sharp chisel used in this way

The deck was then hand rubbed down using my rubber block and a wooden block where requiered to achieve a paint free finish

This was overcoated with Car Laquer available from Halfords...reason for this is simple really the laquer will seal the wood as I dont belive in this sanding sealer as it can cause problems in the paintwork......The laquer will do the job far better and can be overcoated with anything.

This will now be rubbed down with 400 grit paper dry and overcoated with grey primer

Dave

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:54:44 am »

great advice

do you have advice for a small area that has failed to stick, i swear i thought i did everything right, the hull is 99 % well done , just a small area has had this crinkling effect.

its too big to hide and ignore, but seems too small to strip down  >:-o <:(

ive heard this can sometimes happen with all the care in the world, just gutted but braced for a full strip

cheers

Chris

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:57:56 pm »

I think you allready know the ans you could try and rub it down and lightly spray it but sorry I dont hold much hope

Dave

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 01:40:29 am »

thought you would recommend so

:((
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.