Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: crrc pro engine  (Read 3621 times)

duggy

• Shipmate
crrc pro engine
« on: January 21, 2013, 07:48:44 pm »

Hoping I could beg the indulgence of fellow, more experienced members.
I have recently bought a crrc pro 26 cc engine, I require to fit this with a clutch, this engine appears to have a three bolt rear mounting/engine mounting,, The clutches I have seen advertised all appear to be of a four bolt mounting? Is it possible to fit this engine with a clutch? Is it just a case of replacing the rear mounting plate? I would welcome any advise in order to facilitate this, indeed I would welcome any advise as to where to purchase the necessary parts/adaptors

Thanking you all in advance
Duggy

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
Re: crrc pro engine
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:23:08 pm »

unfortunately Ive looked into this and haven't found a way of fitting a clutch so far

duggy

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:19:13 am »

Many thanks for your response sir, and apologies for the late reply!
The purchase of this crrc pro engine was very much an "impulse buy" £75 quid including postage for a new in box engine seemed too much to resist! I suspect I will find a use for it , with or without clutch!
On the subject of clutches , I have been doing some researching and have seen a couple of references to people having used an "arrowshark" unit, who knows?  As an ardent and addicted "tinkerer" I may just take the plunge , buy one and attempt to retro fit it , I will keep you posted, again thank you for your reply

duggy

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:28:07 am »

Do you really need a clutch? Launching/retrieving isn't a problem without.

Looking at the motor and the Arrowshark clutch surely an adapter plate/rear engine mount would work. Three countersunk screws to the crankcase and four threaded holes for the clutch bolts.

Don't fancy the careful measuring to get everything to line up correctly but it looks like it should be possible. Good luck with your project.

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:37:56 am »

it may be possible to make your own front plate to accept a clutch unit and bolt it on the engine but as a direct bolt on nothings available like that for the crrc pro

mark
BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 11:42:48 am »

ok,this is really a simple one ,the clutch you need is the arrow shark springless clutch,due to the fact that the inner and out parts are both connected to the crank unlike the ones you see for the zenoah engines where the clutch bell is part of the 4 bolt plate you are on about,the springless clutch does not need the  4 bolt plate but comes with it and is purely for decoration,hope this help.advice is free to day,happy boating,all the best kurt,black magic racing :-)) :-)) :-)) :D
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

duggy

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 12:58:07 pm »

Many thanks gentlemen for your responses. I think I will take the plunge and try and locate an ' arrowshark ' clutch unit, I am still somewhat apprehensive about it fitting the crrc crankshaft, but perhaps with a little old fashioned "fettling" IWill keep you posted

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:52:25 pm »

Just another tinker for you........
You can replace the starter recoil system and use a Zenoah pulley..... BUT.........!
The difference is that the Zen uses a FINE (1mm pitch) and the CrrcPro uses a COARSE (1.25mm pitch).
You just tap out with a standard tap entering from the engine side. The slight pitch error over the short length of the boss will not matter too much.
Engine runs pretty well for a "cheapie" but can be a bit difficult to get started  using the recoil unit. The throw of the dogs tends to need increasing to get more bite.

duggy

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 09:10:11 pm »

"Deary me" now I am confused!  At 75 quid new in box, including postage, this seemed like quite an affordable introduction to a larger more economical boat engine!  Have I bought a "pup" . Is it really a ""xxxxx"" to start? Before  I spend anything more on a clutch, I would love to hear of anybody elses experiences with this engine. My somewhat "dubious pedigree" ranges from  Amco (finger biters) to ED Racers  up to a 44cc Tartan Twin (first time starter every time) I Have to say I have the engine sitting in front of me as I write and it dosent look to be of that bad a quality!  Indeed I have a chinese made lawnmower of 50cc (honda copy) that  starts first pull everytime.

Would I have been better, to have spent the extra on a"Zen"  Is it worth pursuing? Please dont be shy,At 75 quid its no great loss, what I dont need is a dislocated shoulder everytime I try to fire it up

All experiences greatly appreciated,

Regards duggy

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 09:59:05 pm »

personally m8 i would have bought a zen or a zen clone
theres clones on ebay from about 120 quid at least zen parts are then interchangeable on them and other bolt on parts should fit
BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 10:08:37 pm »

the crrc pro engine is not a bad engine,just make sure that everything is tight,ie all bolts etc etc.you get what you pay for really, :o the better option is of course the zen,good cheap ones come up now and then second hand on ebay,or there is the zen copy from china which i happen to know someone who has bought one of them and it seems to go very well indeed, :} they stink zenoah just without the name,if you know what i mean,also dont rule out the sikk 27 engines,i have used these for many years and found them to be very good indeed and with abit of tuning to be very fast as well,it all boils down to what you are using it for? :-)) :-)) :-))  you should get your money back on the crrc pro without a problem should you decide to go down the zen route,hope this helps ? %%  kurt  black magic racing
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

MPM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • MillPond Models
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 10:28:43 pm »

I have to agree with black magic racing. I don't think you've bought a pup. If you just playing about on a lake it should be perfectly fine. If your looking for power then I'd be looking into Zens, RCMKs.
Gizmo are doing this Rev Unlimited engine that is Cheap and an exact copy of the Zenoah engine so much so Everything interchanges...

Jack

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 10:49:11 pm »

"Deary me" now I am confused!  At 75 quid new in box, including postage, this seemed like quite an affordable introduction to a larger more economical boat engine!  Have I bought a "pup" . Is it really a ""xxxxx"" to start? Before  I spend anything more on a clutch, I would love to hear of anybody elses experiences with this engine. My somewhat "dubious pedigree" ranges from  Amco (finger biters) to ED Racers  up to a 44cc Tartan Twin (first time starter every time) I Have to say I have the engine sitting in front of me as I write and it dosent look to be of that bad a quality!  Indeed I have a chinese made lawnmower of 50cc (honda copy) that  starts first pull everytime.

Would I have been better, to have spent the extra on a"Zen"  Is it worth pursuing? Please dont be shy,At 75 quid its no great loss, what I dont need is a dislocated shoulder everytime I try to fire it up

All experiences greatly appreciated,

Regards duggy
Hi Duggy, If you want any tuning done pm Kurt at Black Magic Racing, I ran a Sikk 27 tuned by him, it never let me down in the 4 years I ran it, apart from a new diagphram in the 257 carb, I never had the engine apart, I changed the spark plug twice per season (at the start and midway through whether it needed it or not) and ran it on a 16:1 sem-isynthetic oil/superunleaded petrol mix, a very very quick motor!
Cheers
Scoop
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.