Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting problem  (Read 1826 times)

A66

• Full Mayhemer
Painting problem
« on: January 21, 2013, 10:27:42 pm »

Evening all, having spent some time coating the hull on this crash tender with lightweight glass cloth and epoxy laminating resin, then even longer sanding, just about ready to prime. here lies problem do i spray cellulose grey primer then hand paint dulux eggshell over top or use spectrum enamel, this paint is something i have used on most of my rc planes as its fuelproof. i am keen to use a satin finish if possible. which ever way i go it must be able to resist glo fuel. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Steve :((

Stavros

Re: Painting problem
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 11:30:36 pm »

Personally I would go with the spectrum enamel especially as it is fuelproof, as the clue is in your question....APPOLOGIES straight away if I seem abrupt in my ans...BUT I personally dont think the dulux eggshell is fuel proof at all but I WILL stand to be corrected if I am wrong

Dave

A66

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 06:47:24 am »

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply, Eggshell is not really fuelproof  it will need something like Plasticote or Flexicote, I may not have worded my post quite right as i am more concerned with the compatability of cellulose and the Epoxy resin? Steve.

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:07:58 pm »

Right I get what you are getting at so to speak there will not nbe a compatibility with regarding putting the cellulose on to epoxy.Now the question I will ask is and I DO NOT know the ans to this one.....Is plasticoat impervious to fuel.....

Dave

A66

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 07:31:52 pm »

Hi Dave,Thanks for the info will probably spray the primer on in several  thin coats with agood flatting down inbetween, Plasticote is ok with glo fuel ive used it before on various aircraft, but i make sure to clean down well at the end of a session, most of the fuel i use is 10% Nitro  so by cleaning down  i have not had any problems straight fuel is no problem but a higher Nitro content im not sure about ? hoping to start the fast patrol boat soon just trying to finish some household decorating.
Cheers.
Steve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.