Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: want to remove paint from fibreglass hull  (Read 9879 times)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: want to remove paint from fibreglass hull
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:38 am »

T-cut? Think you'd need to rub a lot of that on to clean off old paint, it's just a mild abrasive isn't it?

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 03:34:16 pm »

%% Hi,lads be careful when using cellulose thinners as the fumes are very toxic,I would use it in the open air just to be safe. I learnt my lesson
years ago when I was spaying a motorcycle tank in a confind space ie the shed, the fumes got to me and I ended up in hospital with which
felt like the hangover from hell, it made me very ill for days.These days I don't any chemicals if it can be helped, elbow grease for me it might
take a little longer but safer,happy modelling everybody looking forward to the new season, Ray.       
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Stavros

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 09:54:38 pm »

Well Klunk you will have to bite the bullet and buy the proper stripper for grp

Dave

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 10:48:15 pm »

Well Klunk you will have to bite the bullet and buy the proper stripper for grp

Dave

Hi Klunk.

I made a total mess of one of my previous hulls which incorporated lots of plating and rivet detail - all of which had to be removed without damaging the gellcoat finish of the GRP hull.  I eventually discovered  Langlow's Saferstripper which worked perfectly.

It's a green viscous liquid which is applied with the aid of a small soft brush, Apply in small areas and allow 20 minutes or so for it to work its magic then remove gunge with ,in my case, the aid of a toothbrush. . Patience is the watchword as several applications may be needed to remove the most obstinate paint - irrespective of type - but it does not damage the gellcoat.

It saved my bacon and I still have what's left from my earlier boo boo just in case it's needed again (perish the thought!).

The following information  may now be out of date but you may strike lucky in respect of  a local source (mine came from a paint & building supplies outlet):-

Safer Stripper (1 litre plastic container).
Langlow Products
Chesham
Bucks,
01494 784866

Good luck
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 11:51:54 pm »

T-cut? Think you'd need to rub a lot of that on to clean off old paint, it's just a mild abrasive isn't it?
Depends on how much paint has got to come off the hull, you could always use a compound mop. If my race boats get pranged I use P38 to fill the holes gouges etc, sand back, prime, flat it off, top coat, T cut any overspray, quick polish, jobs done in half a day. I use Halfords car spray ....gives an excellent finish.

It may be the route to go Klunk.....bit of a rub down, prime and respray if you have a large area to cover.
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.