Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A warning to all members.  (Read 3978 times)

jimmy2310

• Full Mayhemer
A warning to all members.
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:38:10 pm »

I am also a member of  RCMB and have just received this pm

Compliment of the Day Sir

My Name is Usman Mohammed from Libya i am 24 year old but right now in Ghana because of the civil war between rebel forces and the combined forces of the NATO that almost destroyed my country my father were attacked and killed by the rebels just because of its relationship with the civilian government

Please i need your assistance for the following ways.To assistance me claim 1 consignment with 7 Gold Bars and 1 uncut diamond Stone my father deposited with a security company in London as my co beneficiary.As the security company demanded for my foreign beneficiary`before the consignment can be released or transferred to anywhere in the world,I am willing to give you 30% if you can assistance me Please for further detail please contact,me via email;usman00225@hotmail.com

Thank you as i wait to read from you
Usman.

If any other member receives this or any similar message do not reply, IT IS A SCAM

Jimmy
“Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!”

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A warning to all members.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 05:25:22 pm »

I will deal with this on RCMB. Thanks for letting us know Jimmy.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:43:47 pm »

Did you really have to state that it's a scam?

Surely most people realise that unsolicited requests to be a third party for any promise of an amount of money is a scam?
They say 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is'...unless anyone has a different story to tell?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 05:57:43 pm »

I think the difference here is that it was a pm on a model boat forum as opposed to a spam email that we all receive and ignore.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

jimmy2310

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 06:01:13 pm »

Grasshopper
If by me stating it was a scam prevented a fellow member from falling for this then I am satisfied, how would you have felt if you had knew a fellow member was aware of such scams but kept quiet and later found out other members where scammed out of their savings. I will not apologise for trying to help.
Jimmy

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:45:26 pm »

No offence intended by my posting, just thought that we're all smart enough to realise that a complete stranger offering you a percentage of a small fortune for a shady deal would be a bit suspicious even to the most naive...

Sometimes with this nanny/ PC state we live in I forget there are some real thickos out there....

jimmy2310

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:48:29 pm »

Grasshopper, no offence taken mate, just wanted to make everyone aware.
Jimmy

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 07:52:57 pm »

This paper by leading Microsoft researcher Cormac Herley explains why these famous e-mail scams are in fact far more sophisticated than they at first appear. I'm sure most of us have received them at one time or another and had a laugh at the thought that anyone would be that gullible as to believe them.... but this explains why in fact they are just that 'obvious' ....... a very interesting read.... http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/167719/WhyFromNigeria.pdf
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 07:55:43 pm »

Dodgy Geezer posted a very interesting article some time ago explaining why scammers use poor English etc. It is so that they only get responses from the gullible!

Mike

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 07:56:33 pm »

Did you really have to state that it's a scam?

Surely most people realise that unsolicited requests to be a third party for any promise of an amount of money is a scam?
They say 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is'...unless anyone has a different story to tell?

We might know but we all may have vulnerable relatives that we need to make aware of this and other scams so if it helps then all well and good.  My 75yo mother had a call yesterday in the North East that went somethng like this:

Good evening madam - are you Mrs X?

Yes why?

I regret to inform you that you have been charged with fraud and you have to appear in court in London on a date to be agreed.  Your summons is in the post.  But you are needing not to be worried.  My solicitors will represent you and you are not being needing to appear.  We will have this case dismissed but we need to be retained officially by you and to do this we just need a payment of £25 that you can pay by credit or debit card.  Would you like to do this to be stopping you from being worried?

Now some vulnerable people might have been worried and immediately reached for their credit debit card.

My mother replied and unfortunately the language she told me she used I had never heard her use before. Certainly not PC.  Questioned his parentage, his country of origin, his right to be in the UK, told him her son worked for BT ( I dont) and she had calls like this before (she hasnt) and has a trace on all unknown numbers (she hasnt) threatened him with threats of violence from me (thanks mam) and told him that if he knew what was good for him he would return to his land of origin.  She rang me after putting the phone down and said 'did I do the right thing?  I was really nasty to him, I even used the F word I was so mad and worried,  you dont think he is a real solicitor do you and will complain to the police?  Er no mam.  I did though ring the police who confirmed that this was a known scam to get bank card details.  They then came round and took a statement.

So any scam details are worth sharing to pass on. 
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 07:59:03 pm »

Sorry Mike,didn't mean to repeat your info. - you posted while I was typing!

Mike

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 08:05:27 pm »

Sorry Mike,didn't mean to repeat your info. - you posted while I was typing!

Mike

S'ok ... :-)) ...
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 08:17:20 pm »

It occurs to me that there are far too many Mikes on this forum! Perhaps some of us should be culled?  %%

Another point which may be worth mentioning is that when called by a scammer, if you put the phone down (perhaps ring the police to check on their credentials) then, if they haven't hung up, you will still be talking to them (and they will say they are the police and convince you they are legitimate).

Mike

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 09:24:36 pm »

It occurs to me that there are far too many Mikes on this forum! Perhaps some of us should be culled?  %%

Another point which may be worth mentioning is that when called by a scammer, if you put the phone down (perhaps ring the police to check on their credentials) then, if they haven't hung up, you will still be talking to them (and they will say they are the police and convince you they are legitimate).

Mike

NO, NO, NO, Stop, Don't do it, look what happened here with Dave's it will be the Mick/Mikes V Dave/s

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=41446.new;topicseen#new  %% %% %% %% %% %%
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 09:54:31 pm »

Are you taking the Micky?  :-)
(Don't forget the Michaels - my mum always called me this when I had incurred her wrath!)

Mike

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 10:26:17 pm »

Perish the thought, me name aint Dave  {-) {-) {-)

I an off to Better batten down the hatches stormy weather ahead O0 O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:20 pm »

"Better batten down the hatches stormy weather ahead" - Why? Is Mr (Call me Dave) Cameron about to join the forum? %%

I think we have gone just a teeny bit off topic! O0

Mike

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 10:49:50 am »

Because the topic got posted up I now understand why some scams are made so glaringly obvious  :-))

I won't be getting caught by that donate to Mayhem scam again - always wondered about those bright shirts  8)  {-)

Dave

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 12:24:06 pm »

Because the topic got posted up I now understand why some scams are made so glaringly obvious  :-))

I won't be getting caught by that donate to Mayhem scam again - always wondered about those bright shirts  8) {-)

Dave

:o  its a scam???  :embarrassed:  looks like I was caught too lol  ;D
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 04:27:19 pm »

We might know but we all may have vulnerable relatives that we need to make aware of this and other scams so if it helps then all well and good.  My 75yo mother had a call yesterday in the North East that went somethng like this:

Good evening madam - are you Mrs X?

Yes why?

I regret to inform you that you have been charged with fraud and you have to appear in court in London on a date to be agreed.  Your summons is in the post.  But you are needing not to be worried.  My solicitors will represent you and you are not being needing to appear.  We will have this case dismissed but we need to be retained officially by you and to do this we just need a payment of £25 that you can pay by credit or debit card.  Would you like to do this to be stopping you from being worried?

Now some vulnerable people might have been worried and immediately reached for their credit debit card.

My mother replied and unfortunately the language she told me she used I had never heard her use before. Certainly not PC.  Questioned his parentage, his country of origin, his right to be in the UK, told him her son worked for BT ( I dont) and she had calls like this before (she hasnt) and has a trace on all unknown numbers (she hasnt) threatened him with threats of violence from me (thanks mam) and told him that if he knew what was good for him he would return to his land of origin.  She rang me after putting the phone down and said 'did I do the right thing?  I was really nasty to him, I even used the F word I was so mad and worried,  you dont think he is a real solicitor do you and will complain to the police?  Er no mam.  I did though ring the police who confirmed that this was a known scam to get bank card details.  They then came round and took a statement.
"  Certainly not PC ""    And good on her..  pc rubbish.. <*<

Should also have said she had a relative in the services and as we talked an un-manned drone was being redirected to the origin of the call...

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 04:43:16 pm »

No such thing as an unmanned drone.
It is a model being driven by a man or woman
Who will be sued for collateral damage if
the human rights groups get their way

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 06:57:11 pm »

No such thing as an unmanned drone.
It is a model being driven by a man or woman
Who will be sued for collateral damage if
the human rights groups get their way

Ned
An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone, is an aircraft without a human pilot on board. Its flight is either controlled autonomously by computers in the vehicle, or under the remote control of a pilot on the ground or in another vehicle

The Drone it self is un manned, therefore unmanned drone, it may be guided by someone , but the drone is unmanned..

So Send an unmanned drone to the Human rights group headquarters as well then.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 10:43:08 am »

We have all had scam emails and phone calls, but to have a PM is a different matter.  It must have been sent by a member of that site, therefore the site ops need to be informed so that they can at the very least delete the sender. 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 05:25:22 pm »

Dodgy Geezer posted a very interesting article some time ago explaining why scammers use poor English etc. It is so that they only get responses from the gullible!

Mike

Given the stuff that appears in some posts on forums (not this one!!) and particularly in Ebay item descriptions, how would you tell?

The level of spelling, grammar and punctuation is appalling. Put it down to trying to write using only thumbs while texting from tiny phone keyboards. 

Having worked for the local police force for a number of years before retiring recently, some of the things that go around are quite convincing and particularly nasty when aimed at the elderly and more vunerable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.