Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Maggie M by chris gillespie  (Read 10573 times)

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
Maggie M by chris gillespie
« on: January 23, 2013, 06:15:54 pm »

Ive spoken about it in a few threads, so heres my incarnation of the maggie m

it was started slightly before RJR, but stopped and forgotten about, due to other comitments. I started off following the instructions closely and then had a change of heart, i wanted to modernise into something resembling what it looks like today.
RjR was doing a great job with his, most other maggie m's kind of follow the kit, this inspired my thread on whether to stay true to the kit or not.

At the moment i have detailing to do from the wheelhouse to the stern, another coat of white, and ill need to try and fix window surrounds to narrow the window posts, as these were according to the kit and are a bit chunky, one of teh drawbacks changing you mind halfway through  %)

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Maggie M by chris gillespie
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 12:09:17 am »

So im in the final stages now, just some minor touches. I need to add domes the liferaft cannisters supplied are way out of scale so i need to manufacture something for that. I have to make the trawl doors and just finally add the nets to the drums etc....a few decals still to go.

Im going to seriously think about weathering, im thinking very subtle

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:00:32 am »

That's a bonny looking model you have there Chris - well done.  :-))

Weathering's a personal choice - just be careful not to overdo it.

Regards,

Ray.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:01:08 am »

Looking forward to your weathering Chris
I hope to pick up some decent tips ....

but no copper coins please  {-)

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:53:18 am »

a lovely job.........I've always liked the Maggie M...............she makes into a superb model, and so many variants of the 87 footer to choose from if you don't particularly want the Maggie M.

you've done a lovely job there.
neil.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 11:58:50 am »

Very tidy model.
As a proponent of weathering everything, that is almost too nice to slap rust on :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 03:57:08 pm »

A lovely looking model indeed. Well done  :-))
Cheers,

-Adam-

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 08:01:09 pm »

Cheers guys

Dave... i see you were up late again  {-)

unbuiltnautilus.....it is a dilemma i like clean, but i also like used and well worked.....

Neil.....it is a very versatile kit, a friend of mine had a Maggie m he was wanting rid of and ive helped him out my plans are to renovate it into "ARKH ANGELL" K616 which used to be run from the orkneys....like you say there were dozens built and operational particularly here in scotland.

captain podge.....ill certainly not be overdoing the weathering ive seen an example on here recently where the guy weathered it to a rust bucket....way ott.....

im thinking of dulling in areas, with perhaps a hint of rust stain, not real rust as such....im hoping it will be subtle enough, but still have a realistic look....
well it looks decent in my head  %% {-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 09:48:16 pm »

will I see you sailing it on the Largs pool this summer chris.........hope so if you up that way during early august.

neil.

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 10:20:55 pm »

yes every chance

now im a bit more in the swing of model boat clubs and meets...i shall be planting my posterior at events....its all the more handy now i have a couple of boats ready {-)

its maybe a long shot neil......a year ago i bought some model boat bits of a guy in your area, he had a pegasus 3 that he called "lady paige"....he was a nice fella said he couldnt do modelling anymore as his arthritis in the hands was making it difficult.....dont suppose its a small world and you know who im talking about lol....

ps the lady paige needs a fair bot of tlc  :D

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 10:33:08 pm »

You have made a lovely job of her Chris; I will be watching the weathering progress with interest. To be honest I have never had the nerve to attempt weathering in case I make a right mess of it after spending months on the build. 

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 10:42:01 pm »

im the same chipchase

its something that really can go wrong and ruin it all. Its exciting but nerve racking at the same time. I will be spraying a few test panels and trialing before i go any where near the boat.

i can always rest with the notion that fishing boats are painted by fishermen not painters...and for that true authentic look it can be rough as a badgers erse  :-)

you will be in a similar position, amity cries out for a gentle weathering....too pristine and that aint jimmy lol {-)

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 11:08:13 pm »

I have been brush painting the bulwarks under the shelter deck today and looking at the finish I am certainly no painter, it might look a bit better after a good night’s sleep.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 11:12:49 pm »

yes every chance

now im a bit more in the swing of model boat clubs and meets...i shall be planting my posterior at events....its all the more handy now i have a couple of boats ready {-)

its maybe a long shot neil......a year ago i bought some model boat bits of a guy in your area, he had a pegasus 3 that he called "lady paige"....he was a nice fella said he couldnt do modelling anymore as his arthritis in the hands was making it difficult.....dont suppose its a small world and you know who im talking about lol....

ps the lady paige needs a fair bot of tlc  :D

what was his actual name Chris, can you remember.
neil.

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 11:27:20 pm »

sorry neil...it would be a pure guess

he lived in thornton clevleys....he made a dolls house ...he had a number of projects highly unfinnished....totomares....inshore crabber hull....had small plastic boats like the rnli £ 40 arun small czech police boat......meh it was a long shot  :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 10:04:08 am »

Re weathering. I guess the only way I would ever try it is with some material I had painted side by side with the build in the same colours. At least I would have a little preview of the dried states before attempting to weather the model.Pristine is lovely on most models but I always like to see fishing boats weathered.

Dave

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 12:53:11 pm »

Ive made some trawl doors based on vonin cobra. They looked nice and sleek freshly painted

however ive made my first attempt at weathering  :embarrassed: 
I still have some minor rust detailing to do on the doors

ive based it on one day fishing, which if i carry on i will weather the boat the same way

thoughts..should i leave it for future builds, as im not convinced to do it on the boat

cheers

Chris

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 05:10:44 pm »

voyager did a weathering thread on this forum,it was fantastic... - take a look and follow the advice and try weathering on a bit of scrap first.... its a simple step by step process but voyager's hints and tips work !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 07:32:31 pm »

check out my Carol moran thread I weathered my tug and it really takes it to another level. I was disappointed with how much it looked like a toy boat at first the weathering took care of that now it looks like a real working tug.

I would love to see one of these all weathered up its def on my build list for the future.

carisma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 08:43:53 am »

great job chris, looks fantastic.

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 11:44:20 am »

ok im going for it, probably over the weekend

hazegry you are right yours really did need depth to the colouring, and you did a great job.

so ive done the trawl doors, now the boat needs to catch up, a few days fishing at sea is the look im going for, so there will not be overly rusted areas.

it is very possible to get carried away, however i also know that the boat wouldnt be allowed to rust viciously in any areas, many quick fix paint jobs happen throughout the year to preserve as much integrity as possible.

new rust is very bright, older or deeper rust gets darker, thats the simple moto of rust. I dont see alot if any rust around stanchions as a lot of people like to do, in fact the space where the stanchion is tends to be cleanest on the hull. Very little rust will be forward of crane gantry. Hatches may have light streaking, the mast may have light streaking. The hatch where the net gets emptied will have some wear and tear on the hull.

Im going to let loose on shading, as this is predominant in the first week or so after painting...

So its good in my head, ive talked about how im going to approach it...lets see if these hands can make it happen :embarrassed:

ill update shortly

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 04:52:04 pm »

Subtle is the name of the game when weathering Chris, don't forget the weathering needs to be to scale also! I have the Maggie M done as yours is and she is weathered, I can post a pic on here if its OK with you (its your thread). Mine is modelled as she is when working as a Guard vessel so no trawl doors.

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 05:15:03 pm »

You can post away ixion  :-))

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 05:24:53 pm »

this is approximately what im going for

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 05:33:56 pm »

You can post away ixion  :-))

Thanks, this my MAGGIE M
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.