Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: UK weather  (Read 6505 times)

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
UK weather
« on: January 24, 2013, 05:54:37 am »

how is it in the UK. been hearing about it on tv but surprised i havent seen anything here or have i just missed the threads. i have a friend in the oxford area and the forecast for there a few days ago didnt seem bad at all. cold but no snow or rain. sounded on the news that blizzards were country wide.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: UK weather
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 06:05:46 am »

According to my parents in Essex they had a few inches of snow on the weekend but its almost gone now.... but according to UK news its the next ice age lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:00:55 am »

They're overdoing it as usual. The BBC haven't stopped showing viewer's snow photos since Christmas. From the news there are fairly deep drifts in Durham and the like, but down in Kent our weather is more continental, (we're closer to France than anything north of London) so we only had 4-5 inches last Sunday. Apart from that, we haven't had much. Hasn't stopped the usual people sliding off the road into fields etc. (One farmer got his own back with a forklift)

It's fairly boring really. Just makes it more difficult to get out to the shed.

Andrew

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 07:42:24 am »

and we've had barely enough to cover a postage stamp up here on the Fylde coast.........but this is an area where people paint their Palm Trees pink..........so no hope for us lot........ %% %% %% %% %% %%

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 07:43:10 am »

wick in the far north of scotland only saw the snow on the tv news

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 07:52:16 am »

Dad and I thought they'd made a mistake on the weather forecast, when it said the temperature in London was -1 but up in Stornoway it was +5!

Andrew

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 08:02:52 am »

sounds like your weather guessers/tv presenters are as good as ours.  :-)   sounded like the country was grinding to a halt, what with heathrow being closed and more storms forecast.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 08:41:37 am »

Your weather is no worse than ours.  {-)
Drought and bushfires in Victoria, 8) floods and gales in Queensland.  <:(

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 09:00:06 am »

Well I do not know about the rest of the UK in this bit of Aberdeen it is -4.3 and it was down to -9  too cold to work in the shed had to bring all the glues in to the house .Now trying to get permission from her who holds the privy purse to come into the sitting room  to do some boat building.The build has been somewhat delayed I have been putting in a wood burner and decorating the sitting room so I do not hold much hope new carpet and all that.
Spring is on its way.
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 09:41:57 am »

on the Monday we had to take my mother in law to the Royal Marsden for a scan, she was panicking because of the snow on the roads and nearly cancelled. as it turned out the worst bit was the first 200 yards to the main road, and the normally 2 hour journey was completed in 1 1/2 hours as there was little traffic. yet all the way we were hearing about how bad the weather was, how nobody could get into work, and all the schools were shut. scaremongering news at its best.
Grendel

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 11:27:02 am »

We have a bit of snow in Wales.

This YouTube film is going Viral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6UerjFCLdI

{-) {-) {-)

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 12:35:23 pm »

We had about 10 inches of snow up at the stables and our young horse had never seen snow before(from southern Ireland)
and he went crackers out in the field really enjoying himself but couldn't work out where all the grass had gone
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 03:34:42 pm »

sounded like the country was grinding to a halt, what with heathrow being closed and more storms forecast.
Well that's somewhat true. All the idle gits look out the window in the morning and say "Snow? Oh, can't get to work today" and so half the country does grind to a halt. The media certainly help them with that decision >>:-(

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 10:05:28 pm »

Well, at present it's snow messing the UK up and last year it was floods. But at least we haven't got this problem (from BBC News website this evening):
About 15,000 crocodiles have reportedly escaped from a farm in South Africa's far north amid heavy rains and flooding.
At least, I don't think there are any crocodile farms in the UK. Bet there are some down under though  :-))

grub

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 10:17:11 pm »

i have a friend in the oxford area and the forecast for there a few days ago didnt seem bad at all.
We hardly had any snow in Oxford... http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=427978453939532&set=a.358144960922882.78733.357197794350932&type=1&theater >>:-(

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 10:48:49 pm »

Well, at present it's snow messing the UK up and last year it was floods. But at least we haven't got this problem (from BBC News website this evening):
About 15,000 crocodiles have reportedly escaped from a farm in South Africa's far north amid heavy rains and flooding.
At least, I don't think there are any crocodile farms in the UK. Bet there are some down under though  :-))
We don't need croc. farms, we still have Steve Irwins, Australia Zoo.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 10:52:36 pm »

Remember this.  %%

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 05:34:18 am »

Just today.  {:-{
Rangers at the Kakadu National Park are searching for a four metre crocodile that has been lunging at locals.
The park's Tracey Diddams says a teenage boy was fishing with his family near Mudginberri Outstation when the monster croc launched at him.
"(He) started throwing rocks at the saltie which only angered it further," she said.
"It actually leapt out of the water and launched itself at the boy and it was only metres away from where he was standing."
She says the incident is a timely reminder that caution needs to be taken around waterways in the Northern Territory.
"The crocs are there and they're hungry, they're waiting for the big wet to come," she said.

Keep a good lookout  :D if you ever get to the Northern Territory  :D

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 09:19:45 pm »

how is it in the UK. been hearing about it on tv but surprised i havent seen anything here or have i just missed the threads. i have a friend in the oxford area and the forecast for there a few days ago didnt seem bad at all. cold but no snow or rain. sounded on the news that blizzards were country wide.

B cold after 5 weeks in the Wairarapa . First snow seen on 25th was your Southern Alps when lifting out of Wellington . Next lot started over Afganistan and only petered out over Dagenham on the approach into Heathrow.

Sure did not expect 100k winds during your summer nights though
Best way to deal with Aussie crocs is viewing them from 10000 metres up on any aircraft, a safe distance.

CPM1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 09:55:30 pm »

I dont know why we are moaning about a bit of snow. I work in the Balkans every now and then and during the winter you can have 20" of snow overnight. Over there they use crushed rock/stone on the roads. We've become soft and forgotten how to drive sensibly in the snow or how to prepare for winter.
What's really annoying me about our weather at the moment is that it is preventing me from paint spraying some parts for my boats' winter refit! Not allowed to do it in the house, so I have to wait until it warms up in the garden!!!!!!!
Chris M

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 09:59:14 pm »

Do we moan ?, or is it more press hype ?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 11:20:05 am »

Do we moan ?, or is it more press hype ?
A few years ago, this would have been just a fairly normal winter, except that then, as a population, we were more used to it and there was probably more slack in the system to allow for contingencies.  Nowadays the slack has been economized out of the system in the name of efficiency, and very few drivers know how to deal with ice and snow.
I was supposed to be driving home from London starting Friday afternoon, but looked at the weather forecast and came home on the Saturday.  Unlike the MP for Lancaster who was too important to check and spent the night stuck on the M6 near Wigan.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 12:14:36 pm »

and very few drivers know how to deal with ice and snow.
And very few know how to drive in normal conditions.
  Driving - - - -  a dying art.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 02:07:10 pm »

the drivers dont seem to know about snow chains either,but I did see some in Lidl's last week,we had about 1/4inch of snow which only lasted about 6 hours before it was gone completely.
Mick F

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 05:11:49 am »

so is the weather as bad this time around. tv news sounded like some parts of the country have ground to a halt again. i bet you guys are looking forward to summer.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.