Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: UK weather  (Read 6506 times)

MarkScratchBuilt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: UK weather
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 05:56:47 am »

so is the weather as bad this time around. tv news sounded like some parts of the country have ground to a halt again. i bet you guys are looking forward to summer.
It took me 6 hours to get to work last night! i was 5 hours late for the night shift all because of an inch of snow on the roads which hadnt been gritted!  {:-{  Apparently it was the worst winter day in decades according to the radio this morning..... NIGHTMARE!

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 06:30:13 am »

Ah! We'll send you some sun in exchange for the snow.  {-)
Record 9 days over 32 degrees C. and hottest March night on record last night in Melbourne.   26 Degrees  8)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 09:37:35 am »

unfortunately I think we put too much faith in gritting, the councils dispute the 'no gritting' that everyone is saying and are mentioning that they have vehicle tracking to back up their claims, I think that there are times and conditions when gritting doesnt work, when the snow comes on fast and deep all the grit is buried at the bottom on the road and cant do its work, the layer of snow over the top just compacting over and round the grit.
at the end of the day we get so few snow days that as a nation generally we arent very good at driving under those conditions, as a nation we dont use snow / winter tyres, purely because the expense for just a couple of days a year bad weather doesnt justify it, how many of the cars stuck were prepared, my car still has a blanket, shovel and my bag of swedish sno grips (like snow chains but a lot easier to fit / remove - but only used to get the car out of a tricky spot - then removed again to drive normally- actually great for getting out of muddy fields too).
So was the weather to blame - the councils or the drivers? who knows- a bit of each- its like trains and the wrong kind of leaves on the track.
Do we as a nation expect to be able to drive when the weather is so bad- probably, it was not helped by the fact everyone was just trying to get home after a days work, circumstances just conspired to make things bad, and we have to go looking for a scapegoat. maybe we should learn to help each other again.
Grendel

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 10:11:13 am »

I don't know why an inch of snow "darn sarf" elicites such panic and traffic jams - the north of England and Scotland
get that regularly and there is no mention on the Beeb until a flake falls south of Yorkshire then you would think
one of the ten plagues had arrived. The biggest problem down there seems to be the idiots who aren't prepared and
then leave their cars abandoned so the gritters can't get through, so the snow then does start to build up.
 A couple of days ago went to the fishing lake - half frozen but where you could
get into open water the trout were biting and had one of the best early season fishing days I've ever had
Geoff.

Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 10:20:51 am »

I heard Dover was quite bad, people not being able to get out/in, but where I am there's been no snow whatsoever, it's just been bloomin' cold.

However the roads here have definitely been gritted, the truck comes past every night for all the good it does.

Andrew

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 11:27:40 am »

>:-o
hello

with a friend in northern France .............
A Rochefort it is a blue sky, but no snow 4 ° north wind! we have not used

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 12:44:39 pm »

The majority of cars are probably front wheel drive these days and I think this design gives a big advantage in bad weather. I think Ian has put his finger on the biggest problem - poor driving skills. Snow tyres are excellent at keeping a vehicle moving as does 4 x 4 drivetrain, however, stopping ability is little improved. Driving too fast and tail gating the car in front has reached epidemic proportions around Tyneside, irregardless, of the weather conditions. Many years ago I owned a Saab 900 and was also given spare front wheels fitted with snow (studded) tyres. The winter was very severe, at the time, but  the car was unstoppable, although, quite severely speed restricted. Apparently studded tyres have not been allowed for a long time.
In the last few years the far south  and French/Dutch coast seems to be getting the worst of the snow. The north has traditionally received the worst winter weather but in recent years the southern areas have been worse hit with snow/rain. I'm wondering if these weather patterns are permanently changing. 'It's an ill wind that brings nobody some good'. 

MarkScratchBuilt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 09:23:23 pm »

Yeah valid points all round unprepared drivers strong winds blowing snow onto roads too many cars to let fritters through. Ah well I only had to do half a shift that night. It was the worst journey I have ever done though dodging abandoned busses along Brighton seafront was fun! Need some of that oz weather to get my boat on the lake!!! :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 09:26:34 pm »

I heard Dover was quite bad, people not being able to get out/in,
O 'eck!  Does that mean that the Continent was isolated? %)
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 09:53:00 pm »

as far as I can tell northern france had it worse with snow over the bonnets of cars.
Grendel

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2013, 10:00:26 pm »

:-))
O 'eck!  Does that mean that the Continent was isolated? %)
OUI !

Stavros

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 10:01:17 pm »

When we had snow a couple of weeks ago there were cars just abandoned aorund the various roads round here joke was the roads were clear of snow next day and the cars were there for a couple of days as the Idiots wouldnt move them incase they got stuck again....the police in the end had some towed away.

Dave

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 06:21:02 am »

drivers in nz are the same as far as 1'' of snow = panelbeaters delight. some people seem to think that full throttle will get you anywhere you want to go. sorry it doesnt always work like that..

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2013, 08:43:45 am »

when I was younger I used to work the wintesr in ski resorts there would be 4 inches of packed ice on the roads for months all the busses ran, all the coaches brought tourists and the locals stll drove to work  {-)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2013, 05:45:15 pm »

Yesterday was a beautiful day, 12c, today it is already -12c, try adjusting to that and never mind dressing for it, the mind boggles. The highest temp predicted for the next week is +3c with several nights dropping to -11/-12c. We have had this since October & you do get a bit shell shocked. We had the usual low Canadian temps as well in the middle of winter which we expect & always get, -40/45c, plus the wind chill factor is sometimes off the scale.( scale goes to -100c) All I can say is roll on Summer...Mick B.
Mick B.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2013, 06:23:33 pm »

Yesterday was a beautiful day, 12c, today it is already -12c, try adjusting to that and never mind dressing for it, the mind boggles. The highest temp predicted for the next week is +3c with several nights dropping to -11/-12c. We have had this since October & you do get a bit shell shocked. We had the usual low Canadian temps as well in the middle of winter which we expect & always get, -40/45c, plus the wind chill factor is sometimes off the scale.( scale goes to -100c) All I can say is roll on Summer...Mick B.

Not too bad here about 12 inches of snow the last 2 nights.  Still went to work, tho I did take the Range rover.... thought it was a bit slippy but then realised it was in 2wd  :embarrassed:
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 05:40:47 am »

I would think Essex your weather is much like ours. We have had more than our fair share of snow this year. We get Chinooks in the winter, hot air that comes over the Rockies & dips down on Calgary & area. It melts the snow real fast. The biggest change I have seen in less than 3 hours was from -25c to  15c. Chinook is an Indian word meaning "snow eater". However our weather has been all over the place for several years now, very hot Summers & it does not cool down at night like before. We have also have had tornado's & that is new. Mick B.
Mick B.

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 05:58:14 am »

-25 is a bit chilly even for me and i like the cooler weather. you guys must have well insulated houses, water pipes etc.  -5 is a cold winter day here and plumbers are always busy doing repairs when it gets that cold.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2013, 06:29:39 am »

The R factor is generally R20 walls & R40 roof. Windows are all triple glaze now & filled with a special gas. The water pipes are buried from 7 to 11 ft. depending what province you live in, one year I think it was 1969 even at 11ft. underground they froze,it had been -35/-45c for 3 weeks non stop. Mick B... 
Mick B.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 23 queries.