Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carbon Monoxide  (Read 1585 times)

regiment

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1,721
  • Location: perranporth cornwall
Carbon Monoxide
« on: January 24, 2013, 07:00:08 PM »

I  did not realise  until I listened to the local news  bbc south west you could get carbon monoxide poisoning from oil fired central heating



Title capitalised due to it's importance. ok2


 
Logged

dreadnought72

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1,877
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
  • Location: Airdrie, Scotland
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 07:44:01 PM »

You can get it from anything burning without enough access to oxygen ... always make sure a fire has a good feed of air.

(Unless you're in the firefighting line of work...)  :-))

Andy
Logged
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

malcolmfrary

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5,620
  • Location: Blackpool, Lancs, UK
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »

In the wrong circumstances, you can get carbon monoxide poisoning from anything that burns that contains carbon.  This is most solid fuel (coal, wood etc), liquid fuels such as petrol diesel, heating oil, LPG and almost any gas fuel such as methane, butane. 
Come to that, you can get CO poisoning from breathing in an unventilated space.
Logged
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

oldiron

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3,323
  • Location: Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 03:23:15 AM »

You can also get CO detectors for your home. They set an alarm off at a certain level of CO. If you have your oil furnace maintained by a licensed shop every year you should be fine.



John
Logged

essex2visuvesi

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6,134
  • Location: Finland, England, Finland!
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 05:49:19 AM »

Considering the low price they really are a no brainer
Legal requirement here for anyone with local fuel heating
Logged
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

regiment

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1,721
  • Location: perranporth cornwall
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 02:41:57 PM »

  thanks for all the replys i have no problems with my heating infact a letter from the council saying an engineer  is coming to service it on monday  thanks gordon
Logged

essex2visuvesi

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6,134
  • Location: Finland, England, Finland!
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:32:43 PM »

problem is, you won't know there's a problem untill its too late
Logged
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Netleyned

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8,985
  • Location: Meridian Line, Mouth of the Humber
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 04:42:25 PM »

  thanks for all the replys i have no problems with my heating infact a letter from the council saying an engineer  is coming to service it on monday  thanks gordon


If you are in a council flat and do not have a CO2 alarm let the council know
They will have to fit one free.


Ned
Logged
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Subculture

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3,951
  • Location: North London
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »

That's a CO alarm. Co2 is a bit different.

regiment

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1,721
  • Location: perranporth cornwall
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 08:12:55 PM »

bit more info have a fire alarm fitted by the council  BUT who is responsible for fitting a carbon monoxide one befor i have a go at the council    gordon
Logged

pettyofficernick

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1,269
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
  • Location: Leasowe, Wirral
Logged
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

essex2visuvesi

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6,134
  • Location: Finland, England, Finland!
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 10:28:43 PM »

bit more info have a fire alarm fitted by the council  BUT who is responsible for fitting a carbon monoxide one befor i have a go at the council    gordon


I believe it's now a legal requirement in the UK to have CO alarms in any rented property.  I know the housing assosciation who look after my parents house fitted them last summer
Logged
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

regiment

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1,721
  • Location: perranporth cornwall
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 11:50:27 AM »

  so who is responsible for fitting carbon monoxide detectors tenant or owner of property   i havejust fitted mine   regiment
Logged

CF-FZG

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 235
  • Location: Oxfordshire
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »


Come to that, you can get CO poisoning from breathing in an unventilated space.

Can you - that's news to me seeing as the act of breathing does not produce CO
Logged
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

regiment

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1,721
  • Location: perranporth cornwall
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »

  in the sun today page 27 lucky to be a-live a man pronounced dead. was after his friend noticed he was still breathing was told by a nurse that was just the body expelling CARBON MONOXIDE insisted on more tests and was revived  regiment
Logged

CF-FZG

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 235
  • Location: Oxfordshire
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »

  in the sun today page 27 lucky to be a-live a man pronounced dead. was after his friend noticed he was still breathing was told by a nurse that was just the body expelling CARBON MONOXIDE insisted on more tests and was revived

Sorry, but you lost that argument with the first 4 words :)

The act of breathing expels CO2 not CO - that's a medical fact, not something made up by a scum scribbler sun reporter
Logged
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

regiment

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1,721
  • Location: perranporth cornwall
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 06:10:56 PM »

 I HAVE NOT LOST THE AUGUMENT I WAS JUST STATEING WHAT WAS IN THE NEWS PAPER  we all cannot be right all the time  regiment
Logged

regiment

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1,721
  • Location: perranporth cornwall
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 06:20:06 PM »

  we all make mistakes even POSH NEWSPAPER REPORTERS.. and the person whom has never made a mistake has not been born yet or do you know different   regiment
Logged

regiment

  • Full Mayhemer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1,721
  • Location: perranporth cornwall
Re: Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »

 had my oil heating boiler tested to day by my council ,,and guess what a nice new corbon dioxide monitor fitted makes yer fink dun it  regiment
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up