Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Damen 3110 (Portgarth) - Hull lines for framing  (Read 2740 times)

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
Damen 3110 (Portgarth) - Hull lines for framing
« on: January 21, 2013, 12:52:52 pm »

For my long running build of a STAN Tug 3110, (MMMs Portgarth is the usual build), I'm looking for some hull lines/form as I want to put in a couple of stiffening internals to hold the FG hull.

Does anyone have such a thing that they could scan/email in my direction?

Thanks

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Damen 3110 (Portgarth) - Hull lines for framing
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 06:07:41 pm »

Is the hull deformed in any way, or does it just feel a little "wobbly"?
If the hull is basically OK, the I might suggest just propping it up and cutting lengths of card (about 1" wide) and then just stick them to the inside of the hull with masking tape. Then cut shorter lengths of card ad in-finitum until all the gaps are more or less filled. Then just transfer the shape to whatever material you want to use as a bulkhead. Cut out slightly oversize and then sand down to shape. I don't mind small gaps as "hairy-filler" both secures and fills the gaps. Wear a disposable glove or put a finger into a plastic bag to smooth the filler. Then paint it. All should be well. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 07:05:48 pm »

You could also trim a piece of card to the shape of hulls exterior profile adjacent to the extra frame's location. This will give a fairly accurate outline for both sides of the hull if it's symmetrical.  Reduce width for the thickness of the hull material and create a template on card or paper for cutting out and either draw around it or stick the paper shape onto the material and cut the new frame out.  :-)

tugnut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 07:30:47 pm »

This is the inside of my hull, i used more fibre glass and cross beams.
I cut the bullwarks of and remade them

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:32:36 am »

Thanks for the replies. No particular problems with the hull, just thought I'd pop in a couple of frames for strength and support.

Was just interested in designed lines to see how closely the hull matched, but will no doubt knock up something that actually fits to do the job.

Thanks again.

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:24:31 pm »

For the frames to fit you would require exactly the hull lines that were used to produce your model's hull.
Therefore a certain amount fairing would also be required even if you were supplied with the shipyard's original set of hull lines/offsets.

It looks to me as though your model's hull was laminated from a GRP mould.
So you would have to ask the people who produced the mould for the drawings they were using if you haven't done it yourself.
But if they produce model moulds/hulls for commercial reasons I can hardly believe that they would be willing to hand this data out.

Nevertheless, I don't think that the shaping of fitting extra frames for strengthening or components mounting support really would demand such a high precision as the hydrodynamically satisfying fairing of a hull.
The interior edge of the hull seems due to the laminated resin fabric structure to be quite bumpy, jittery and rough.

So why not just taking the interior offsets with a chord or compass and roughly fairing the lines of the required frames at the wished stations with a pencil and a set of drawing curves?
(i.e. usually the ubiquitous 3-curve Burmester sets, since I can hardly believe that the average model boater has access to genuine ship curve sets)
Sometimes one can also obtain those flexible rubber ruler/curves for little money.
Though they may not meet the requirement for professional hull lofting for this particular purpose they seem to come quite handy in my opinion.

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 03:42:43 pm »

Sometimes one can also obtain those flexible rubber ruler/curves for little money.
Though they may not meet the requirement for professional hull lofting for this particular purpose they seem to come quite handy in my opinion.

Ah, thanks - now there's something that hadn't occured to me, and I have a flexicurve tucked away somewhere!

Cheers  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 23 queries.