The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Lifeboats

St.Ives Cornwall unidentified Lifeboats

(1/2) > >>

Rottweiler:
 Some more help required please? I am trying to identfy the two St.Ives early Lifeboats,as pictured below,can anyone help please.I am hoping one of them will be the "Moses" Lifeboat,but one could be the "Covent Garden" ALL replies appreciated!
Thanks,
Mick F

ardarossan:
Yo Mick,

Currently, your second picture can be found in the 'Shorething' section of the RNLI website, at the following link: http://rnli.org/shorething/videosandphotos/photos/Pages/History-Photos.aspx

The accompanying caption is of particular interest as it says says - "St Ives, self-righting lifeboat, the "Covent Garden" built in 1866 this boat had 3 names"Moses"1866/1870 "Covent Garden" 1870/1878 "Exeter" 1878/1886 taken from the Grahame Farr Life-boat Archives"

I've added a screen save (with tidied punctuation), in case the linked web page changes.

Rottweiler:
Brilliant! Thanks matey.I have found photos of her before but none with the name!Thats the one I wanted it to be.It would be great to find the other one as well,
cheers,
Mick F

ardarossan:
There's just no pleasing some people! How about these two...

Sourced from: http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Author-pays-tribute-heroism-fishing-port-s/story-17928365-detail/story.html

The link above is to an article that appeared just a few days ago in 'The Western Morning News', dated, Tuesday, January 22, 2013.
Titled - 'Author pays tribute to the heroism of fishing port's many lifeboat rescues', it refers to several early rescues by St Ives lifeboats, with the one you are interested in being mentioned first. It says;
"It was on a wild October morning in 1865 that the brig Providence was spotted aground on the western end of Hayle Bar and St Ives lifeboat Moses was launched to go to her rescue (writes Frank Ruhrmund).

Despite capsizing twice in the awful conditions, the self-righting lifeboat, under the command of Coxswain Nicholas Levett, brought four of the brig's five-man French crew to safety.

As Edward Lever says in Lifeboat Gallantry – his account of the RNLI awards gained throughout the years by crews of various St Ives lifeboats – this rescue "was considered to be one of the most dangerous ever undertaken in the area".

As a result the coxswain was awarded the RNLI's Silver Medal, the first to be gained by a St Ives lifeboatman. Since then, crew members have received no less than 18 silver and 20 bronze medals, plus several Thanks of the Institution on Vellum..."

Hope some of it's of use,

Andy

Norseman:
Not sure if they contain any pictures but Cyril Noall did a lot of Cornish based books. The story of St. Ives lifeboat c1957 I believe and also 'Cornwall's Early Lifeboats' c1989. Ebay or Amazon might have them? Or maybe a Mayhemmer has a copy they could look through for you Mick?

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version