Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lead Acid Batteries  (Read 1886 times)

CPM1

• Full Mayhemer
Lead Acid Batteries
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:54:10 pm »

Hi everyone,
I have no knowledge re Lead Acid batteries. What is the difference betwenn a 12v 7ah battery and a 12v 9ah battery apart from the amps/weight/size.
I'm about to buy some SLA's to use in a twin motor set up (Graupner 600's) Is there any real difference? Which would be the best?
Also can I run a set of  LED navigation lights from a 12v SLA instead of using a small 9v battery?
Many thanks for any advice.
Chris M

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
Re: Lead Acid Batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:05:35 pm »

What is the difference betwenn a 12v 7ah battery and a 12v 9ah battery apart from the amps/weight/size.
Just the price probably. The 9Ah has about 25% more capacity than the 7 and will be a bit larger and heavier ... and more expensive of course. That will give you a longer run time, but it might be too big and/or heavy for your boat. If weight, space and price aren't a problem generally go for the larger Ah to get longer runs - if you think you'll be on the pond for long periods.

Also can I run a set of  LED navigation lights from a 12v SLA instead of using a small 9v battery?
Yes, but if they are built for 9V you'll need a voltage reducing system of some type to drop the excess 3V. If you are building/assembling them yourself you should be able to adjust the resistor values for 12V instead of 9 without any extra work.

Oh, I see this is your first post, so welcome to the madhouse Mayhem.

CPM1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:02:58 pm »

Thanks Oci,
All clear now! I'll stick to the 9v battery for the LED nav lights.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:25:45 pm »

Hi
the 12V 9ah is a new version of the 12V 7ah. The 12V 7ah has been a round for decacdes all the have done is improved it a bit and up the AH keeping the same size battery give or take a 1mm.
Depends on price diffrence and what your current draw is will answer what one you should go for.

John

CPM1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:21:03 pm »

I have no idea what amps my motors draw - it's a dark art to me. However I'll try the 9ah version of the SLA's. I assume there's no harm in more amps. Thanks for the info.
Chris M

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.