Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: figureing out the basics for building from plans  (Read 1468 times)

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
figureing out the basics for building from plans
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:49:10 pm »

hello to all from washington state u.s....have lurked here for awhile.. not too new to r/c .have had several in the past i have built..i have an r/c hellen by artesania latina that i have built (still working on rigging not my strong point) and also have a 1/72 revell r/c conversion going on with a caswell/merriman wtc and fittings kit in the fire.. wct's been assembled and tested and has the snort system in it... but enough rambleing.. the reason for by post is i have long wondered how to build from plans????i have looked at several builds and like it.. i also like to work with wood and have all the powertools to do so..i have built many things includeing a 12m x 8m x 3m outdoor pergola from a napkin drawing for a neighbor for sub parts...i would like to know a few things..how do you tell if plans will have the bulkheads/keel/deckhouse..do they always come with templates for the shapes you need???or do you need to have some place blow up your plans and trace them on to the ply then cut out? how do you build a hull from the profile drawings i have seen,,,is there a way/link for me to figure all this out..i am an automatic transmission mechanic by trade so i think i could figure it out if pointed in the right direction...i have an older mr darby fiberglass hull but nothing else and i would like to build the rest from plans if anyone has them.. my boatingbuddy has the pt109 hull..same predicament..also i would like to try my hand at it for another boat..many thanks 
shane

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: figureing out the basics for building from plans
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 12:19:28 am »

I'm sure you'll get some help in the morning (gone midnight here) but welcome onto the boards anyway. Especially as you are Washington State  :-)) I have a big interest in your ferry Kalakala; do you know it? Pm me if you want to keep the thread uncluttered.

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 12:30:25 pm »

there will be many differing ideas on here as to where you should start, Shane, but I'll start the ball rolling by pointing you to my build from plans of an old british lifeboat.....it starts with plans, running through the cutting of frames to making a grp mould from the plug.

No doubt you will be far far better at plank on frame building than I ever will be, ( and that is why I only make the plank on frame hull roughly to take buckets full of filler).......... but you'll get a basic idea as to how to start.
go through the flim flam of waffle on the early stages of the build, to post 41, where I start with the plans.......hope it gives an idea.  link below
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=39214.0

neil.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 01:13:07 pm »

Neils build will be the second or possibly the third level of building Shane. To answer your question logically, it depends on your skill level re understanding boat, aircraft or whatever construction.
 In a beginners kit you will find most of the bits cut to profile or sizes that basically require gluing together so a rudimentary plan is supplied that doesn't need the bulkhead shapes to be drawn out. Same applies if the shapes are printed onto wood to be cut out by the builder.
  Next level is where you are scratch (Or semi-scratch depending on definition) from a plan that requires you to obtain the materials yourself and transfer the outline shapes of the detailed bulkheads etc. usually shown on the plans as separate profiles of each one. Model construction details may be shown.
 The more advanced plans only show the basic lines of the profiles normally superimposed onto each other around a single vertical centre line, with the stations of these shown on the side elevation of the hull. Construction details are not normally shown and this type or the builders plan is where I think Neils boats start.
 Plans supplied on this side of the pond used to have a star grading system from one to five, one being basic and five needing  a more advanced builder not needing a "glue a to b" and no, I'm not mocking, everybody needs to start somewhere.

With regards to the plastic hulls you and your Friend have, if you can obtain copies of plans for what you have, at whatever scale or detail level, measure the lengths of your own hulls and take the plans to a plan printer (Think it's Kinko's in the US of) and get them to scan and reprint to the same hull length. Isn't electronics wonderful? In the past, it would have been a big sheet of paper, a ruler, multiplication tables and lots of graphite.

Regards Ian.
 And don't be fooled, Neil knows how to build longhand too.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.