Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Build  (Read 1737 times)

birel

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
First Build
« on: January 29, 2013, 08:37:21 pm »

Hi to all

I.m new to the site and also boat building, I have just spent about half an hour writing a post only to say I can't access this area so I am posting this before I go any further

bye for now

birel

• Shipmate
Re: First Build
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:48:18 pm »

a ha  I'm in

So I've decided to build a Perkasa 49" with a fibreglass hull.

I was told a Torpedo 850 would do the job fine and so I purchased one, however I then decided I wanted 3 props so bought two 600 motors to sit either side of the 850, but then looking at the different size props I thought it looked a bit on the daft side so have now scrapped the two smaller motors and will be purchasing two more 850's. Which speed controler would be required.
    Now I have been looking for a wood sealer to coat all the wood work in but trolled through B&Q only to find varnish and the likes nothing saying sealer on it. So could you point me in the right direction as to what to use.
I'm by no means any good at scratch building so my next problem is all the detailing in the "wheel house/cockpit" area, does anybody supply these ready built for 1/24th scale

Well I think I've asked enough to be going on with for the time being.

Thank you in advance for any information given I appreciate it.........I think the term "bitten off more than I can chew" springs to mind.

Cheers once again

MarkScratchBuilt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:56:00 pm »

Hi
I used G4 Pond sealer to seal the inside of my ply boat. Works well as used it in shipwrighting where i worked, it gives a plastic coating. Hope thats one question answered.  :-)

birel

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:31:54 pm »

Thanks Mark

Can you paint the boat then go over it with a sealer or do you seal it then go over it with the paint, I guess G4 wouldn't be any good on the outside of the super structure if it leaves it with a plastic film.

Cheers

MarkScratchBuilt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 09:36:26 pm »

Seal it first then you can prep it with some wet n dry I'm pretty sure you can paint it afterwards but you should check   {:-{

birel

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 09:45:16 pm »

ok cheers I really want to start painting it now, thought I might have had a few more suggestions on sealer though. I really need to source open top bridge area as well, I can't leave it with just nothing in but my scratch building talent is zilch

cheers for now

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:10:40 am »

Hi Birel,
Have a look at Krishnas Perkasa build for tips, if you are using a F/glass hull what do you need to seal?, anything wooden I use domestic wood primer thined as nessessary.
Hope this helps.
Len.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.