Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S.G.B. Grey Goose  (Read 7059 times)

bbdave

S.G.B. Grey Goose
« on: May 18, 2007, 03:29:06 pm »

Hi all i've just registered for this forum after visiting several times. Just wandered if i can pick yours brains i bought a fleetscale semi kit of grey goose when it was first released and have just got round to building it i have some 1979 copies of model boats magazine which contain some articles by a John Lambert about the S.G.Bs. will the colours he gives for the Peter Scott scheme be accurate he quotes Humbrol numbers i assume these remain unchanged. any help will be greatly appreciated.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Re: S.G.B. Grey Goose
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 06:59:28 pm »

talk to either White Ensign, who do a wonderfull range of RN matched colours, or give the guru at Westbourne Models a bell.
have fun
colin
grumpy old XXX

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 07:12:54 pm »

bbdave,
When I was building mine I did some research on the camouflage colours.
Some were quite daft mixing amounts, but on the real ships it was the Bosun who mixed the paint, some were more accurate than others.
i wouldn't lose to much sleep over the "true" colours.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 09:41:23 am »

Depends what colours are quoted

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 10:37:50 am »

If my memory serves me right (doubtful), one colour was something like a mix of, 67:42:21:7:4:2:1.
I am sure during wartime I can see a Bosun mixing this colour EXACTLY, if in fact the ship carried all the correct colours.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 01:55:51 pm »

bbdave,

I've nearly finished a 1/32 scratch-built SGB and used the Humbrol colours quoted by JL. The numbers are still valid and the result looks good.
Given that SGB info is hard to come by and the only photos are B&W, who's to say you're wrong?  Also given the conditions of the time with smoke (boiler and gunfire) rolling around, oily waters, rust, grubby boots, the bosuns idea of colour matching etc, any colour card shade would soon discolour. 
I made doubly sure by giving my SGB one of the pennant numbers allocated to a ship which was cancelled before construction could start.

BarryM

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 02:53:19 pm »

Hi all i've just registered for this forum after visiting several times. Just wandered if i can pick yours brains i bought a fleetscale semi kit of grey goose when it was first released and have just got round to building it i have some 1979 copies of model boats magazine which contain some articles by a John Lambert about the S.G.Bs. will the colours he gives for the Peter Scott scheme be accurate he quotes Humbrol numbers i assume these remain unchanged. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Nothing on the colours I'm afraid, but 2 original pics may be of interest.
Notes from a simple seaman

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 04:49:42 pm »

when i did the article in MM on the boat, i wondered for a long time on the colours, in the end i reckoned , like others , that smoke /waves/etc etc would discolour it all pretty quickly any way.
in my own little world

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 06:03:20 pm »

hi there bbdave

Have you all of John Lambert's articles in Model Boats?   

I have  the issues from May 1979  which has a John Piper kit review of HMS Grey Goose through to September 1979 and the September one has the colour scheme set out by John Lambert.

If you require any of these articles, please can you sent me a personal message.

Even better, if you turn up at the Mayhem bash on Saturday coming (27 May 2007) you may even see the man who wrote the article - because he is going to try and turn up all things allowing.   Hey if you both turn up you could both have a good chinwag.

Also, another name who springs to mind - he helpe me out once - Tom of Crewe he is good with camouflages for warships.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 08:59:13 pm »

It is just my opinion, but some do get hung up on "accurate colours".
The only time a warship is mostly one colour grey overall is as she leaves the refit yard.
And even then most of the weapons are painted ashore and stored so are a different shade.
Within a few weeks the colour has faded differently around the ship and been "touched up"
Have a close up look at any Warship and you will see they are in fact several different shades of grey.
How do I know, a long time ago I was an Engineer on the Dockyard Tugs (RMAS), so saw most warships at close hand.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

bbdave

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 01:47:24 pm »

Thank very much all i did wander how accurate the colours were as i have run military vehicles for many years and found when parked up with group members if we have 10 vehicles we have 10 different shades of olive drab though its all bought from the same place. I have May September and June issues thanks John which includes the info i need and i've just raided the paint store (the old mans shed) and found all the colours bar one so going to have to buy a pot  :( . I've been out of model boating for alot of years but after dusting off the goose and getting all the bits ready and reading this forum i'm well and truly bitten by the bug again thank you again for all the helpfull feedback i'll post some pictures when i'm all done.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 02:00:57 pm »

A few pics of mine
Officially a GOG.

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 02:11:10 pm »

Its True I do get a bit over the top on colours but why build a model as accurate as possible then not try to get the colours as accurate as possable.

Does John Lambert give the admiralty colours?, the numbers you have quoted seem to be Humbrol colours.

Also what year was the picture taken?

bbdave

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 02:38:35 pm »

The picture i have is dated 1942 and the colours quoted are humbrol mine look the same shades as in Bobs pics. Hope mine looks that good when she's done i'll try my best but no promises. What did you use to glue the fittings Bob? as when i bought mine they all came smashed and badly put together i complained and was sent new sets but they all came the same way think i had around 3 lots in the end so i've got about 1 set of nearly ok fittings just a few minor repairs to do.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 07:34:40 pm »

bbdave
The fittings were fitted with 24hr epoxy applied with a cocktail stick.
The deck has a ply subdeck with 5mm balsa glued to it, then profiled with a power sander and profile gauges.
The garage looked like there was an internal snowstorm!!
The balsa deck was then covered with 1/32nd marine ply and finaly "plated" with thin plasticard.
NEVER AGAIN!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 07:27:06 pm »

bbdave
The fittings were fitted with 24hr epoxy applied with a cocktail stick.
The deck has a ply subdeck with 5mm balsa glued to it, then profiled with a power sander and profile gauges.
The garage looked like there was an internal snowstorm!!
The balsa deck was then covered with 1/32nd marine ply and finaly "plated" with thin plasticard.
NEVER AGAIN!!

Bob
What was the problem with "plasticard"?  The only times I have had a problem was when I did'nt let the contact adhesive dry out enough. Caused bubbles and peeling...especially around the edges. Don't use it for decks now though..litho plate is better.
Notes from a simple seaman

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 08:35:59 pm »

Bryan, not the plasticard, using a power sander on balsa wood, it took nearly a year to get rid of all the sawdust on cobwebs etc in the loft of the garage.
The deck took months to get right.
Thats why NEVER AGAIN   :)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Cpt MTB

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 04:37:24 pm »

Hi

I have used the paints from White Ensign Models on the last few of my builds!

Whos to says what is the correct shade of grey! Who can say that wrong now! All we have to work from is a B/W photo and know colour specs.

"what happens when a MTB is in for a paint job and the grey is running low ?"

Add a drop of white and black to it!!!!! now whe have a differant shade of grey to paint with!!!!!!!!

I feel happier now I am using their painty now!

regards 

Chris Walters

www.hslmouldings.co.uk

davepb

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 07:44:25 pm »

Hi Guys, I'm looking for the assembly instructions for this kit. Those in the kit I finally managed to track down are rather mouse-eaten!. Luckily the scale drawings survived!
[/size][/color]
[/size]I know this topic is old, but Sovereign Hobbies paints fit the bill:[/color]
[/size]https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/naval?_usf_f=%7B%22Product%20type%22%3A%5B%22productType%22%2C%5B%22Paint%22%5D%5D%7D[/color]
[/size] [/color]
[/size]Cheers, Dave[/color]

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 08:56:03 pm »

Hi Guys .

Sorry to jump in on this post without having fully read all the posted content but I am having to rush things , If I am out of order feel free to slap me down.   From the depths of my memory Sir Peter Scott conceived a camouflage for the boats which would make them less visible especially in early morning mist conditions . To which end he succeeded in that two of the flotilla collided with each other due to invisibility . I always assumed the colours were slate grey / grey blue varying in tint.

url=https://www.modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/image/aKe04][

If I am out of order feel free to administer a slapping

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 11:13:44 pm »

John Lambert in his work on Grey Goose had her as white, light grey and light blue. Unfortunately he never used the Admiralty names for the colours. Most likely would be white, 507C and WA Blue.  The attached is a photo of the colour samples held at Kew. As you can see, the blue is nothing like the various shades of blue found on Flowers etc. Much lighter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.