Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RNLI in the news  (Read 1502 times)

Vidion

• Full Mayhemer
RNLI in the news
« on: February 03, 2013, 06:36:15 am »

quit a nice story about the rnli in the news today for those interested.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2271330/RNLI-What-drives-volunteers-lives-risk-save-peril-sea.html#axzz2JitFdCbJ

about the people behind it, and a bit about how they are trained and work.

greets
Vidion

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RNLI in the news
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 10:03:59 am »

Thanks for posting that, it may tell a few more people what these brave volonteers do.
Last night, a red flare was sighted near the Lizard Cornwall, and involved long searches by TWP lifeboats,from The Lizard,and Penlee,lasting over 2 hours.This was later reported as a malicious hoax.I cannot understand the mentality of these idiots who do something like this,thus putting other lives at risk, and at great cost to the RNLI.
Mick F

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:30:31 pm »

Urrgh!!.  As current RNLI crew, i read this after having my dinner and have just relived my experience at the training college last August. The sea survival course is sadistic ( in a jovial sort of way) but essential as it gives a good insight to what can happen when it all goes wrong and why everyone onboard any vessel should be well trained. Training facilities at Poole excellent for what crews take part in. Twas like being there again through the guys eyes and can sympathise with him regarding being inside the life-raft in darkness. Its hard to move and orientate oneself and the moment 'hughie' (seasickness) introduces himself, thing go downhill rapidly.

Trying to explain sea sickness to er indoors is hard. No matter how well you explain it, you can never really explain it properly but, I always go back.

Why? I Haven't a clue. I just enjoy it, well, bits of it. (Read above :-X ) The feeling of possibly having done something good with my life gives me an inner sense of achievement. I've seen quite a lot over my 18 years in the rescue services (5 as RNLI, 13 as Coastie) some harsh, some funny and some just bewildering %)

My only fear is that someday, government may gain inroad to the financial side of the RNLI, God help us if the do because it will be the downfall of RNLI. I've seen it happen in the CG so if you have a few spare coppers, chuck em in an RlI bucket near you.

Dec

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 05:51:22 pm »

After 32 years at sea and having to use them once, (Engine Room Fire), they always get more than a few coppers from me.
The utter relief of seeing the Troon Lifeboat alongside is well worth a few folding beer tokens.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.