Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: marine modeling international contents  (Read 9941 times)

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
marine modeling international contents
« on: February 04, 2013, 12:04:16 pm »

Hello ,
 just read the latest copy of marine modeling international , i think the contents of the magazine ,are poor lately,
   not a lot of model content , seem to plugging power boats and boat info of old boats any body can Google
    they seem put any thing in to fill pages , and the cardboard cutouts to encourage new comers to hobby , used have a good content of
     build tips by a chap called tiffy which was more usefull to beginners ,  my grandson learned a lot  from that.  .
       so i unless goes back to a better format . i will stick forums on line where there is better info....and help
       and dont have to fork out £4.15 for bad mag contents that suit the the commercial market..........Larry
never pass a skip

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: marine modeling international contents
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:00:40 pm »

Hi Larry,

Having just read your post, and understand that you are disheartened about the direction the magazine seems to be going, I've got to ask, have you raised the points with the magazine themselves?
I would expect that all feedback would be welcomed (even if it's not what they're hoping to hear), in order that can investigate peceived 'problems' and address them as necessary.

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:35:26 pm »

When it comes to content it is hard to beat Model Boats, it is generally fresh in its outlook & just about has something for everyone that has an interest in model boats. The one thing they could improve is the print size, us oldies don't have the eyesight we once had, Mick B.
Mick B.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 08:53:09 pm »

I think saying it has "Bad Mag contents" Larry is a bit harsh, I think both Model boat Mags have their place and their followers, I subscribe to Model Boats and if I see an article which Intrests me in Marine Modelling I will buy it off the shelf.
In this current climate with Model Boating material seemingly on the decrease I think we need to actively support what few resources we have left.
The other Larry, Larry R.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:19:26 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly, we must support all our good sources when ever & where ever we can & count to ten before we bite the hand that supplies us. I have had great service from companies that supply me despite the odd mistake. I am sure the next copy will be better than the last so wait & enjoy. Mick B.
Mick B.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 09:21:47 pm »

Good point about the print size in Model Boats Mick and it is something which is kept under review. However the page count has a major influence on production costs and if the print size were to be increased with the existing page count there would be significantly less content so, on balance, Editor Paul Freshney is sticking with the higher content level for now.

I have had eye problems recently but I regularly visit my optician and update my glasses and don't really experience any difficulty although I accept that won't necessarily apply to everyone. My wife resorts to a magnifying glass if she finds text too small - not ideal but there are always options!

Good to see you back online and participating!

Colin

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 10:32:18 pm »

colin , its not just the print size that some of us find a problem with , the colour against the page can sometimes be difficult to read as can the glossy paper the magazine is printed on . i dont subscribe to either publications but will pick up copies if theres an article of interest to me . jon

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 11:08:11 pm »

Jon,

Just goes to show that everyone's vision is different, it wasn't so long ago that people complained about the matt effect of the printing and poor contrast!

Sometimes there is not much you can really do about it depending on your particular circumstances. However I do know that a lot of people just tend to put up with failing vision when in fact it could be corrected to a greater or lesser extent (sometimes it's just being too vain to wear glasses) and maybe they shouldn't be driving!

In my case I have glaucoma and recently suffered from cataracts (at age 64) with the latter badly affecting my focusing. I had cataract surgery on both eyes last year and according to my optician now have better than 20/20 vision in both eyes with glasses. The result is amazing, my eyes are now back to where they were around 10 years ago and everything is much brighter. Obviously not everyone will have a condition that responds to that extent but if you are experiencing failing sight then definitely get professional help. Even if they cannot improve things they can often stop them getting worse. As for the glaucoma, it cannot be cured but eyedrops will keep it in check.

Colin

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 06:04:28 pm »

I agree with you Colin, most people & I was one of them that neglected my eyes for quite awhile. Not anymore. We should all have our eyes checked at least once a year & if we notice a change in anyway, as soon as possible. I have a pair of glasses just for reading "Model Boats"& look forward to it arriving each month which it does & is always on time too. I can not imagine not being able to read, so I take good care of my eyes. Mick B.
Mick B.

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 06:59:10 pm »

I spoke with Barry Steven at Blackpool and told him if you interest is other than warships and fast boat the magazine is poor

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 07:14:35 pm »

I spoke with Barry Steven at Blackpool and told him if you interest is other than warships and fast boat the magazine is poor
I find their solar model issues interesting.  Going back to the early years of Model Boats / Model Maker they used to be quite technical, I would Imagine that the content would vary dependant possibly on the Editors likes/dislikes ?.
As regards print, the current print is bigger than early issues, yes the glossy pages can make it hard to read dependant on the light, but I would rather have the pages as they are now as they look better, in my opinion  :-))

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 07:22:10 pm »

I don't buy many magazines these days, and I honestly can't remember the last time I purchase a model boat publication, and I'm saying that as someone who used to purchase one regularly.

Personally I liked the publications best from the 1950's and 1960's- that was before I was born, so that's an objective opinion, not one formed through rose-tinted spectacles. Editors like Vic Smeed at the helm, who seemed to have a golden touch for what modellers wanted to see. I also liked the multi-format approach they used to employ back then e.g. Model Maker and Model Boats, where you had a variety of modelling disciplines. I remember Model Maker being resuscitated back in the late '70's and early 80's, but perhaps it didn't catch on, because it didn't seem to hang around for very long. All the same I enjoyed those publications.

One publication I do still purchase regularly is Model Engineer Workshop, which I find a fascinating read.

Vidion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 07:43:55 pm »

as for the print, i personaly dont have a issue with that. my problem with the feb. issue is that i felt quit cheated by the magazine.
in the jan. issue they promised a article about making your own propshafts.

and yes i know basicly how to make them, but always want to learn to improve.

however in feb. issue the article itself was all about modifying vendor shafts to exposed shafts, and the only mention about the scratchbuilding of them was a note at end of page that it would be next issue, wich sets me thinking ,  yeah right, thats what was said last time.

its a bit like,  why should i spend money on a magazine wich does not deliver a promised article, when i know i will also be able to find and print the info on the net. ( reason was for having a reliable, reputable source, and other possible interesting ideas i might get from articles )

for me atm, i am in doubt if i will pick it up again to even check articles. for some it might be a minor thing, but for me it comes over as a breach of promise and trust , wich i take very serious
( probably from having worked in a prison for the last 9 years, where trust and promise is just about short of life or death matter )

vidion

edit :  propshaft article is about mmi magazine as per thread title :)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 08:03:31 pm »

Vidion, you seem to be a bit confused! The print size issue related to Model Boats while the propshaft issue related to MMI!

I was interested to see the comments from Subcilture and The Long Build concerning the content of issues published back in the 1960s and 1970s.

There was indeed a lot of good stuff in those old magazines but it was written for modellers who possessed much greater basic skill levels than the average boat modeller does today. If you wanted something then you had to make it yourself, you couldn't just go online and feast on all the amazing ready made stuff at very reasonable prices as you can today which has, incidentally, dealt a body blow to scratch building as many people quite reasonably take the view that why spend hours making something when you can just buy it and stick it on and away to the pond you go?! Times change. Of course there are still us old codgers who yearn for the 'good old days' and fine, whatever floats your boat. However the magazine editors need to sell their issues so the content reflects where the balance of the market is currently at. If they didn't then readership would drop and traders would not wish to spend a lot of money on adverts and there would be no magazines to complain about.

Mind you, what goes around comes around. Horses used to make good glue and maybe we should be analysing the makeup of some of the wonder adhesives we currently depend upon.  :}

Colin

Vidion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 08:09:31 pm »

indeed missed that print issue was for modelboats, but my point about content of mmi magazine still stands, wich is the magazine this thread was opened about

vidon

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 08:58:33 pm »

Well you know I just offer my own opinion, and wonder how many others out there feel the same. Is there a whole bunch of twenty to thirty somethings out there buying the mags? If so I'd be fascinated to know where they are- as I see hardly anyone in that age bracket participating in this hobby.

MMI was always a great counterpoint to Model Boats, which always came across to me as more of a traditional publication. MMI took a few chances like introducing regular columns for unusual sectors of the hobby like model submarines with their 'Up Scope' articles.

I don't know what the circulation of the major magazines is, or how it's changed over the years, but I expect the publishers keep a tally. The RTR crowd tend to be a fickle bunch, and will no doubt move on to the next 'big thing' in time.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 09:44:57 pm »

The average age of model boaters these days seems to be well over 50 judging by the attendance at shows and events so I doubt whether the twenty or thirty somethings make up a very significant part of the readership - they have other things to occupy them, usually digitally based I suspect!

My impression is that model boaters these days are largely comprised of mature people migrating from other areas of modelling and retirees with more time to devote to their hobby. As such, the offerings from kit and semi kit manufacturerers and the traders that support them with fittings, electronics and other gear are particularly popular as, taken together, they offer the opportunity of getting some really nice models on the water in the minimum time. I think that a glance at the adverts in the magazines will confirm that.

As most people know, I am associated with Model Boats on a freelance basis but I recognise that MMI provides an alternative take on the hobby which appeals to many. In this respect we are lucky that model boating currently supports two dedicated magazines but how long that will continue is anybody's guess.

Without giving anything away, I can confirm that Model Boats significantly outsells MMI but the latter has it's devotees and both magazines coexist on an amicable basis serving overlapping but slightly different sections of the market. So, as always, you pays your money and takes your choice!

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 10:28:44 pm »

Colin i think you and others are missing the point slightly with coments like the av age of model boaters are over 59 these days.Yes i know this is maybee quite right but have you myself and others asked why.
Personally thinking out aloud here if I was an editor I would be looking at how to attract the youngsters into the hobby.....how can we do it...well BOTH mags  are full of immacukate models steam plants etc which are well above pocket money prices.Shouldnt the editors or maybee yourself be looking at this fact and addressing it.
How.......well how about some articles on simple cheap boats that can be built on pocket money basis in other words Blue Peter style.

Colin dont think this is a dig at yourself far be it...just fod for thought.

And I agree the contents of MMI are pants some monthhs tbh

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 10:50:36 pm »

Good point Dave,

I can't speak for Paul Freshney although he regularly features Glynn Guest models which are ideal for beginners, but I have tried to include some simple models in the special issues that I have edited such as the Moonmist article by Glynn Guest. This year's Special will include an Aerokit build by Dave Milbourn.

I think you have put your finger on the issue that we need to attract youngsters into the hobby but I think that Clubs have a role to play in this respect.

There is also the point that in our generation you were used to building stuff yourself from your apprenticeship with Airfix kits. Today's youngsters expect to be able to skip over that which is why RTR boats are so popular. You buy it and then can put it on the water straight away and run it. You will get some youngsters willing to put in the effort but I think they are in a minority.

Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 11:00:56 pm »

I must be in the minority then  because I must say that I like Marine Modelling International, more so than Model Boats, for some reason, and must say, that the editor of that mag, Barry Stevens is far more approachable to the modelling and general readers than that of Model boats, unlike in the old days when John Cundell was in charge.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Stavros

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 11:13:28 pm »

Ye Colin you are quite right in what you are saying that clubs have a lot to do in attracting youngsters to our hobby,BUT it would help immensly if Editors showed some leaning towards the youngsters...
Yes I know there are ready to run boats out there and some parents will simply buy son or daughter what they want in RTR, BUT how about an article comparing say 3 of the readily available RTR boats with some home built boats,what I am getting at here is simple really if the AV price of a RTR...say is £200 lets compare it with a Home built boat a TUG for  a TUG RTR v hme built and compare prices etc BUT it as got to be done at the lower end of the scale and have it on the front page so it catches the eye etc etc etc.
Mrs Stav has suddenly got into our Hobby.....she now has commandeered half my shed .....and wanted to get a RTR but thought they were far to plasticy and has bought  a Vintage Model Boat kit and has built it herself OK I showed her how to do  it.....BUT without Help there would be NO WAY a Biginner could have done it.Most of the kit mnfr dontthtink of a complete newby building a model and this is where out Hobby has gone so so wrong in my opinion.Yet I must admit one company have got it so so right....Aeronought...I bought her a Ramberrator(It's a springer tug) WOW a child of 8 yrs old could do it ...clear concise inst with pics....this is what we should be pushing to the youngsters.
OOPSY sorry we gone slighlty off topic SORRY

Dave

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 11:21:12 pm »

I have to agree with Neil on this one.

Some 15 years ago ( or meybe more) Model Boats was in a real hole ( IMHO)........MMI appeared as a breath of fresh air. I subscribe to both magazines, read them both and enjoy most of both..................... and im 59.
I must admit Model Boats has really improved in my eyes over the last year or two, but i still read both.

Is that OK Barrie ?
in my own little world

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 06:42:01 am »

I feel several good points have been made here. I get Model Boats now & will in the near future subscribe to MMI, why, because you always find something different in each.There is a lot of competition for the young peoples pocket money these days & it seems to me that the I phones & I pads are winning. However I would suggest that the clubs could do much more by getting involved with the shop sections of schools & donating some time to teach the kids what a great hobby model boats can be.Don't go in with a superior air but teach them something simple that they have a good chance of completing. Have a competition for the best effort & get the shop teacher involved right from the start too, even make it a father & son effort. I am sure there are much better ideas than this but if we do things like this things will start to happen. Don't forget to get the Traders involved too, I am sure they would love to help out with a good program. In my younger days I put on workshops for the customers that had a interest in old sportscars & I must say I always had more than I could handle to the point of having to run the workshop more than once. My wife even supplied the munchies too for free. All it took was a few hours on a saturday morning & was well worth the effort. So I would say to the clubs give it a try, you might be surprised by the response. Mick B.   
Mick B.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 06:46:08 am »

I fogot to say I find Model Boats a very mag & good value for money, we pay a fair bit more over here than you do in U/K and we don't get the goodies either, LOL. Mick B.
Mick B.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 09:14:22 am »

Just one further point Dave - both magazines can only print what contributors are prepared to write. There are a lot of people who can build model boats and a lot of people who can write but there is not a great deal of overlap! This inevitably does influence the content a bit as people tend only to write about things they are personally interested in - it's very boring otherwise!

Colin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.