Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Duncan  (Read 2353 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Duncan
« on: May 19, 2007, 03:00:10 pm »

These must have been the "titchiest" frigates in modern times.
These pics were taken from the bridge wing of Resource around 1967/8 when Duncan tried to tow us. As I recall, she was not very sucessful.
Notes from a simple seaman

zanussi

Re: HMS Duncan
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:50:06 pm »

Nice pics!

We called them Emergency Class Frigates, there was a rumour that their pre-fabricated hull parts had been stockpiled somewhere in the event of war, the original intent had been to operate three for every Type 12 with the Type 12 being the Squadron Leader, but with numbers of ships limited the little ships were taking up billets that could be filled by larger ships with more use in peacetime so the building program was cancelled.

Does anyone know where Duncan ended up? I heard she became a training ship, but the only one I know of was the Russel in Pompey.

BTW, the idea was reborn with the original Type 23 Frigate, that was to have been a small, single purpose ASW hunter which would operate in groups of four with an armed Fort Class RFA, in the event of air attack the Type 23's were to scurry up to mother and hide under her missile protection, which was to have been - vertical launch Seawolf, max range about 5 miles. Sigh. I often wonder what definition I would find under "Naval Planner" in the dictionary.

farrow

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 09:42:57 pm »

My brother served for some time on the Hardy, he used to say everyone you to wish that she would be taken out of service soon for scrap. Apparently they were poor seaboats, good at picking up subs, but unfortunately to slow to catch the newer subs. Also there was concern in some quarters as to their hull strength and one of them had strain trials carried out on her, namely a strip of metal let in the deck in the galley area, which was replaced each time she came in from sea, the removed piece taken away for laboratory examination.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 05:34:13 pm »

My brother served for some time on the Hardy, he used to say everyone you to wish that she would be taken out of service soon for scrap. Apparently they were poor seaboats, good at picking up subs, but unfortunately to slow to catch the newer subs. Also there was concern in some quarters as to their hull strength and one of them had strain trials carried out on her, namely a strip of metal let in the deck in the galley area, which was replaced each time she came in from sea, the removed piece taken away for laboratory examination.
Odd how these old posts keep re-surfacing.....Nice replies though.
Notes from a simple seaman

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 06:44:59 pm »

It would be an absolute b4tch to try to model this, - trying to emulate all the ripples in the plating?
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.