Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ro/RO Ferry aground off N Wales  (Read 6019 times)

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
Ro/RO Ferry aground off N Wales
« on: February 06, 2013, 07:18:47 pm »

The RO/RO ferry CIUDAD DE CADIZ which collects the Airbus A380 wings that are built in Broughton ran aground at Mostyn after breaking her mooring lines in the strong winds last week. After a couple of failed attempts at refloating her the tides have now fallen off so she just sits there for now!

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ro/RO Ferry aground off N Wales
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:55:03 pm »

THAT IS A GOOD PICTURE ,PLUS A BAD ADVERT FOR WHO/EVER WAS IN COMMAND .?

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:35:41 pm »

Still does not detract from the fact that the A380 is one heck of a plane.
Having flown to and from KL on the back end of the upper deck of a 380, they were the better flights than the Boeings on the second and third legs of the trip. Far more comfortable.
Given the choice of the A380 or a Boeing then it is the 380 for me.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:34:35 pm »

i was up that way yesterday for work next to the terminal. I have been told they will try at the next high tide on Saturday to see if they can move her. That area is full of sand bars and if you stray out of the channel a little you would be aground very quickley.

John

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:01 pm »

Why the bad mouthing of something you know little of?
What are the Port rules?
What are the mooring faclities like?
How strong was the wind and from which direction?
Was she having maintenance (machinery) done at the time?
Most seafarers have been in similar predicaments, most of us were "lucky". I suggest that you understand how these things can happen before appointing yourself both Judge an Jury. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 10:04:40 pm »

I hear the winds were very stong .She snaped her mooring and was blow on to the sand bar. To befair to the crew from when the moorings snaped till they were blow out of the channel would have only been minuits as she is lest the a mile from her dock may been only 500m.

john

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:44:47 pm »

"Just before 2pm on Wednesday 30 January 2013, Liverpool Coastguard was advised that the ‘Ciudad de Cadiz’ had gone aground off Mostyn Harbour on the Salisbury Bank, River Dee in North Wales. The vessel had been berthed alongside in Mostyn Harbour when the mooring lines parted in 60 knot winds. She then drifted onto a sandbank."

That must have been scary.

Dave

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 08:47:18 am »

I second your sentiments, Bryan.

I recall many years ago lying alongside in Port Kembla (Aussy) during one of their local blows. We were snug alongside with the wind blowing us onto the quay. However, the German tramp ship a couple of piers across were not so lucky with the wind blowing her off the quay and we watched as the first headline parted , followed by the remainder one by one. By the time the last headline had gone the alarm had spread on board and all sorts of semi intoxicated deck crew mixed with a few 'lady' guests from ashore were milling about ! By this time the bow had swung across the dock to land on the empty berth opposite, at which point the stern started to take the brunt of the gale and those lines started to part one by one. Like some rehearsed ship manoeuvre she then moved her stern over the dock, where they put the gangway down sufficient for a couple of AB's to jump onto the quay and fresh moorings were put out and everybody disappeared, presumably to finish of the party ! Clever stuff and great entertainment !

Mike

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 10:50:34 am »

Hullo Mike....what a small world  :D
Many years ago when working on AI&S or BHP fleet operations vessels in the Port of Kembla in the outer harbour, we were always subject to an eight hour cerfew/window to return the vessels mooring winches to readyness should a squal blow up  >>:-(
The BHP Iron Baron [Bloom & Voss Hamburg] was one exception where we had the valley gear isolated overnight & lost a few lines in a squal <*< <:( ............Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 10:55:05 am »

Surely the skipper can't be blamed for 60 knot winds, luckily no one was hurt and the ships company are still on board. I was wondering how they are running the generators with the ship high and dry. Power when the tide is up and none when the tide is out?
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 11:06:18 am »

Surely the skipper can't be blamed for 60 knot winds, luckily no one was hurt and the ships company are still on board. I was wondering how they are running the generators with the ship high and dry. Power when the tide is up and none when the tide is out?

They would run the generators off of water in one or two ballast tanks, then when the tides in top the tank/s up. Normal practice for ships than sit on the bottom over tides.  The other possibility is they have an emergency generator can run without sea water cooling.

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 11:10:45 am »

Correct - they are running on emergency with cooling on recirc.

They would run the generators off of water in one or two ballast tanks, then when the tides in top the tank/s up. Normal practice for ships than sit on the bottom over tides.  The other possibility is they have an emergency generator can run without sea water cooling.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 03:26:43 pm »

Hullo Mike....what a small world  :D
Many years ago when working on AI&S or BHP fleet operations vessels in the Port of Kembla in the outer harbour, we were always subject to an eight hour cerfew/window to return the vessels mooring winches to readyness should a squal blow up  >>:-(
The BHP Iron Baron [Bloom & Voss Hamburg] was one exception where we had the valley gear isolated overnight & lost a few lines in a squal <*< <:( ............Derek

Hi Derek, small world indeed  O0 This was sometime in the second half of the 1960's on Jardine Matheson ships. We used to start at Brisbane southbound and work our way round to Adelaide calling at Newcastle,Sydney, Kembla and Melbourne and anywhere else told to then work our way back again before heading up to the Far East. Never ever managed to get ashore in Port Kembla, but did find time to have a few parties with the lovely nurses as per every port down there - ah memories  :-)) ;)
Mike

PS Just had a look at the photo and noticed that she has the company crest on the funnel with Hoegh Line colours below, never seen a ship with both on at the same time ?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 11:48:09 am »

I was reading in ship nostalgia to day ,that tthey refloated her yesterday

john

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 11:55:02 am »

I was reading in ship nostalgia to day ,that tthey refloated her yesterday

Yes, she has gone to Holyhead for divers to inspect her props and rudders.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.