Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving a KIEV from the Ship Wrecking Yards  (Read 8281 times)

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Saving a KIEV from the Ship Wrecking Yards
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 06:49:52 am »

I don't know, never did fancy the idea of hacking a beautiful (yes I said beautiful) hull in half just to make it appear as if it's 'at sea'. Can't think of another instance with model cars, model tanks, model aeroplanes or anything else where this is considered an option or, shall we say, widely practiced. Make it RC and... leave it on the shelf Niall.

{:-{ ok2 :-) :-) :-)
~Harq

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 10:09:16 am »

I don't know, never did fancy the idea of hacking a beautiful (yes I said beautiful) hull in half just to make it appear as if it's 'at sea'. Can't think of another instance with model cars, model tanks, model aeroplanes or anything else where this is considered an option or, shall we say, widely practiced. Make it RC and... leave it on the shelf Niall.

It should be possible to make a waterline display of a complete hull. Need a fairly deep base and and for some hull profiles like this one a bit of ingenuity. In fact lots of possibilities, but I'm sure they've all been done before.

I might even try that on my own r/c boat.

SHADOWFLEET

• 1/200th battleship-39 sunk september 2012
  • Full Mayhemer
  • thank you for all you help an kind infomation
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 02:30:22 am »

ive noticed in the posted people going on about water lining the hull. why cut the bottom off its .
get some 2 inch thick polystirn. take measurment of the lenght of the hull an slowly cut in the to the foam . an you put the model in the to the foam . make shore it fits right.
take it out . paint up the foam. an build a wooden box for the foam to sit in . an place the boat in to the foam. im shore the gentleman who done this beautiful model . will have no problem in paint foam, so atleast then it looks like in the water an a nice sunny day you can put in it the real water.

ships of my fleet in dry dock an builders dock
1/96th scale hms cossack>>building
1/96th scale km Z37 Narvik> refit
1/24th scale Vosper MTB>>building
1/144th USS casablanca Carrier>> shelf
1/96th Hms penalople>> shelf

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 02:56:53 am »

This.

I have seen a diorama that someone built whereas the model was not waterlined but placed in a frame, the model nested within a plexiglass/acrylic "sea" where one could view the hull above and below the waterline from a sideview vantage point. I think the model was situated in a green/blue plexiglass/perspex "sea" and with light above, one could see the hull (illuminated by tinted green light) below. Looked splendid. I've also seen displays like Oci has mentioned (the best of both worlds) but I guess the decision lies in the builder. To each his own... :(( ok2
Waterlining the hull might probably be the best decision as it is much more "toylike" down there.

It should be possible to make a waterline display of a complete hull. Need a fairly deep base and and for some hull profiles like this one a bit of ingenuity. In fact lots of possibilities, but I'm sure they've all been done before.

I might even try that on my own r/c boat.
~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 04:04:37 am »

Great suggestion really the foam. I like the display idea also from Harquebus with the lighting would look great then say in an old fish tank now that would be a show piece.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.