Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engel Nautilus  (Read 3149 times)

ken224

• Full Mayhemer
Engel Nautilus
« on: February 10, 2013, 02:41:47 pm »

can you help me. I have the Nautilus I bought from Engel late last year which  I have been using with no problem.All of a sudden the front piston tank will not accept the fill command. I have checked all wiring and nothing seems to be faulty. Led 2 does not light up on the tmax 2 when on fill command, everything else is working i.e if i draw the front piston tank manually it will empty on command or loss of signal. Am i missing something obvious.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Engel Nautilus
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 03:13:40 pm »

The board could have developed a fault- modern electronics are reliable, but not infallible.

My first instinct would be to check the ouput relays for the forward tank, the most likely failure point. Then I would check the ouput transistors, then I would check the boards PIC chip.

If that all sounds like double dutch to you, and noone in your locale has the electrical/electronics knowledge, then I will take a look it for you if you're willing to send me the board.

ken224

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 03:28:09 pm »

thanks for that i may take you up on your kind offer. I suspect the relay after further checks . I have just sent engel an email and wait to see what they suggest if it is faulty is should be under warrenty. I will let you know there reply just in case i am missing something simple

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 03:30:18 pm »

This must b the best forum for free friendly help. :-)) :-)) :-
Whatever the problem someone is there with the answer
Or good advice and where to find other help  :-)) :-))

Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:07:24 pm »

The good thing about relays, is you can either see or hear them working. If the onboard electronics are working correctly, you should be able to hear the really picking up and dropping away, unless the relay coil is open circuit or it's mechanically stuck in some way.

Engel electronics are pretty basic- the clever stuff goes on inside the main PIC microcontroller.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 08:38:12 pm »

Hello. I have the engel akula, I had a similar problem once...  Check the threaded spindle for the dive tank is making contact with the micro switches at both empty and fill commands. What can happen is the piston spindle wobbles off center and fails to egage the micro switch which in turn fails to flip the relay over so you dont get the command to either fill or empty..this happened in my case a little adjustment curred my problem.  Hope its of use regards sub.

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 03:10:37 pm »

I was at the lake with Ken when this happened when I got home with my Gato I took the top off to remove the battery after first operating the ballast tanks a few times when my front tank decided to stop working thought it was something I had caught off Kens nautilus then spotted a Wire had broken from the motor to the circuit board replaced the wire and all is now well cant belive that this happend to the both of us luckily mine was just a simple repair.

Mark.

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

ken224

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 03:22:42 pm »

Lucky b#### its the relay on mine stck closed after hours of testing hope im right sent back to engel at there reqest cost £8 postage rip off again

ken224

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 03:52:14 pm »

Hello. I have the engel akula, I had a similar problem once...  Check the threaded spindle for the dive tank is making contact with the micro switches at both empty and fill commands. What can happen is the piston spindle wobbles off center and fails to egage the micro switch which in turn fails to flip the relay over so you dont get the command to either fill or empty..this happened in my case a little adjustment curred my problem.  Hope its of use regards sub.

thanks for that it all helps checked and all ok so relay it is

ken224

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 05:13:35 pm »

Just a update for future referance .
Sent back to Engel had a reply today it is a faulty relay

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 02:25:22 pm »

I would say it'll pay you to peel back the sticker over the relays on the board, see what number they are (probably Omron relays) look up the dtasheet on google for the pinout, then order a few off ebay. You can probably get half a dozen for £8.

ken224

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 03:40:17 pm »

Your quite right even off engel they are about £1.50 i have asked for a few when rhey send the board back
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 23 queries.