Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 2963 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Windows 8
« on: February 11, 2013, 05:30:05 am »

{-) ...not sure if is world wide but Microsoft must be really blitzing them @ the checkouts as @ OZ  <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(
1. any brand nane computer with Win8 is approx $150.00 cheaper than the Identical PC with Win 7
2. you can purchase a Win7 software upgrade to Win 8 for $58.00 AUD..........  :P :kiss: :police:  ............
I am very happy with the stabiloity & functionality of Win7 on my desktop & ultrabook......Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:09:02 am »

Apparently you then have to pay through the nose for all the programmes etc. that used to come for free.  <:(
I have heard reports that it is difficult to set up internet connections.

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

• Full Mayhemer
    • StarLoc FiveStar quality adhesives and glues at FMK
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 07:46:07 am »

I got a new laptop a couple of weeks ago, it only came with windows 8 , I hated it at first but now its getting easier to use.......

Takes 4 clicks to turn it off, and strange sliding menus appear when you move the mouse pointer too fast, but im starting to get used to it

My worst problem, i cant get my vinyl cutter software to work anymore.

I cant set up any additional user accounts for other people on the computer , its just too complicated to do it quick enough wanting to set up the users email and microsoft accounts....

Its just a pain in the.....
Formulators and manufacturers of quality adhesives and surface coatings for industrial , DIY & modelling sectors since 1988
See us online   www.shop-4-glue.com
on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gianthairyhedgehog/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:25:18 am »

Windows 7 is an excellent, stable operating system, (if you can't afford a Mac), and I can't see a lot of point in upgrading .....yet, unless you are buying a new laptop.
Windows 8 will be more useful when touch screen laptops are the norm. If you have a Windows 8 machine and you still hanker after Windows 7 look and feel you can run your new machine in "Classic Mode".

Alan

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:53:29 am »

My worst problem, i cant get my vinyl cutter software to work anymore.

Mine stopped working after XP! I keep an old laptop with XP just for the cutter.

Barrie

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 10:27:43 am »

Is the one in the picture the RT model?  I have heard that that one is spectacularly useless unless you want to do exactly what MS have decided and nothing more due to the restrictions placed on it.  "Proper" Win 8 will likely be better, but will be different in detail to Win 7.  Biggest thing, as ever, will be that you will not be able to get drivers for long cherished hardware, despite the alleged compatibility mode, because you will not be able to load them in the first place.  Over various systems that's cost me a perfectly good video capture card and a couple of scanners.
It was perhaps telling that about the first add-on program to appear was a mod to get rid of the metro interface and replace it with something recognisable.

I have had a go at Linux, but the level of geekdom required to do all but the most common tasks is an off-put.  That, and a couple of windows programs that just don't have a worthwhile equivalent.  The most important of these was my music centre program.  I have a juke box program that acts like one - it shows the list of tracks in a sensible order, lets me pick from the list, and plays them.  All of the linux ones give me all sorts of sorting and categorising options, but no easy picking and playing options.  Over geeked.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 10:50:02 am »

Malcom...I have no personal experience with Win8....apart from my work acquantences complaints  >>:-(
barriew...the only reason I upgraded from XP...to Win7 was that MS had stoppped supporting it in sales of replacement PC's  <:(
Sorry.....I now correct my spelling from .....stabiloity & functionality.... to the correct word........ O0  ...Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 11:21:53 am »

My wife's new laptop came with Win 8, and after 2 months she is just starting to get used to it.

I have tried w8 on an HP desktop with touch screen at work and it makes it a lot lot easier/intuative to use

Still prefer 7 tho.

I think for the casual user (webmail, chat, facebook etc) its pretty good, but its a bit of a faff if you want to do any proper work
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:33:00 am »

my wife has win 8 on her new laptop, me I still have my vista laptop bought in 2008, (wife is on 3rd laptop in same time) plus I run 2 xp desktops (one because it has a parallel port for an old laserjet printer) and one for working with 2 screens and CAD on it. I also have a couple of old laptops running win 98 SE for some old programs.
one of the strangest problems I had was a whole lot of software that stopped working because windows updated internet explorer from v8 to v9, I had to roll back to IE8 to get them working - despite the fact I never use IE but use firefox.
Grendel

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 12:36:46 pm »

I still have a PC running Windows 3.01.  Runs on just 32k of Ram, starts up much faster than the new versions, and because the Registries arne not mucked about 'live' by Windows.  It never crashes.
Word and Excel have almost all the essential functionality of current versions costing almost 400 Quid.

OK, it does not mimic 'smart phones', which Windows 8 seems to be all about.  Progress !
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 12:50:43 pm »

I still have a PC running Windows 3.01.  Runs on just 32k of Ram, starts up much faster than the new versions, and because the Registries arne not mucked about 'live' by Windows.  It never crashes.
Word and Excel have almost all the essential functionality of current versions costing almost 400 Quid.

OK, it does not mimic 'smart phones', which Windows 8 seems to be all about.  Progress !

Are you sure about 32k the earliest Pcs running Dos had at least 128k

Oh and I do have an old Dos PC for playing Janes Longbow and F15 Strike Eagle III
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 01:16:29 pm »

With a Pc melt down I decided to upgrade to W8 as got a upgrade copy from Comet for £20.00.

A lot of basic things do seem to take longer as in shutting down, 4 clicks not 2, a minor inconvenience but still an inconvenience..

I have had a few issues all but 2 I have resolved.
My main bug is that if I took some pictures and then needed to rotate them you just simply clicked on the image/ multiple images and rotated. This when you view it gives the impression that it does infact do this, However when you try to upload to another site, Eg Mayhem, Ebay the picture reverts back to its original setting and shows horizontally.
As my Pc is only still running by luck if it fails again and I have to get a new system I will be going back to W7... 
When you look at the current price of W8 compared top the release price of XP and W7 to me its obvious that W8 is just an intrum Os, So My Advice is if you are able to Stay with W7

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 02:29:38 pm »

Are you sure about 32k the earliest Pcs running Dos had at least 128k

Oh and I do have an old Dos PC for playing Janes Longbow and F15 Strike Eagle III
I recall my old Amstrad PC1640 (B/W) being one of the lowest of the low*, and that had 640K
The competition back then came from Commodore and Sinclair.
*PC1512, even lower.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 08:50:12 pm »

I am using my new laptop, a Sony Vaio touch screen with Windows 8 and I love it. I agree that Win 8 takes a little getting used to, but the touch screen facility is great. The desktop looks completely different to previous versions but is easy to use.

Peter.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 09:21:19 pm »

I am using my new laptop, a Sony Vaio touch screen with Windows 8 and I love it. I agree that Win 8 takes a little getting used to, but the touch screen facility is great. The desktop looks completely different to previous versions but is easy to use.
Peter.
Hi Peter.
Any chance you could do me a little favour  :-)
On your new pc could you locate a thumbnale picture in a folder, right click and rotate that picture and then upload it to say mayhem and see if it stays at that angle when you upload it.
Larry R.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 09:40:05 pm »

Larry, it's not W8 in particular, the whole photo rotation thing is a minefield. I had similar issues a few weeks ago, not using W8, and did a bit of googling. Interesting - in the Chinese sense :)

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 10:00:20 pm »

I don't know about cheap laptops in Oz but there is an Parlimentary enquiry as to why we pay more than anyone else for programmes, games and itunes.   <*< In some cases 3 or 4 times the U.S. price.  >>:-(
Apple, Microsoft and adobe have all been summond to attend in person or .....
I don't expect that it will do much good but we can only hope.  ok2

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 10:39:36 pm »

Larry, it's not W8 in particular, the whole photo rotation thing is a minefield. I had similar issues a few weeks ago, not using W8, and did a bit of googling. Interesting - in the Chinese sense :)
probably but this is the first time I have experianced this, from using 98,xp,vista and W7. Probably a permissions thing but not sorted it yet..

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 12:15:24 am »

probably but this is the first time I have experianced this, from using 98,xp,vista and W7. Probably a permissions thing but not sorted it yet..

It sounds like the program or system W8 uses to rotate is different from previous versions, which wouldn't be a surprise as they are aiming at 'mobile' more now. It may even be 'standard' now whereas before it was a MS special  :-)  .

This is one of the articles I found before (took a while to re-find it):
http://recursive-design.com/blog/2012/07/28/exif-orientation-handling-is-a-ghetto/
I have started using SugarSync for some photo sharing and found some pix weren't rotated correctly. Once I'd read this article I gave up and just fixed the problem by turning them sideways as needed on my PC, so they display correctly in SS.

It just amazes me how such a common function on a long standing and popular format (digital cameras) can be such a mess.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.