Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratchbuilt 1:48 Schnellboot Build log  (Read 7550 times)

VC

• Full Mayhemer
Scratchbuilt 1:48 Schnellboot Build log
« on: February 11, 2013, 04:41:25 pm »

Good evening members. I'm about to launch into a build log of my 1:48 Schnellboot built from scratch. By this I mean that all components, other than the electrics, drive train, human figures and the propulsion mechanism, are crafted out of scrap. The Italeri boat was beyond my budget, so I just had to go ahead and build it on my own. After I had started my build, another Indian modeller completed a Schnellboot from thermocole successfully. I, however, have taken the classic plank on skeleton approach.

I have no intention of boring you with this log and would request you for your comments, suggestions and feedback. Please note that I am an infrequent poster on this forum and am yet to comprehend the unwritten rules here. The faster I learn them, the better for all of us. Thus, please feel free to guide me along.

The reason that I am so wary (and would like to tread cautiously) is due to the fact that I am aware that garrulous posters have been ticked off for repeated or superfluous posts. I wouldn't like to suffer the same fate.

Now I would like to quickly bring you to where the build stands as of now:

Regards,

VC
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

VC

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scratchbuilt 1:48 Schnellboot Build log
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 04:47:06 pm »

The model is planned with a Triple motor /screw set up and will feature a working Lurssen Rudder setup.

1. Found a set of plans and photocopied them to a rough 1:48 scale. Keel is from 6mm ply. A dummy deck suffices for the bulkhead placements.
2. Bulkheads cut out and pasted on foam.
3. Bulkheads aligned
4. Glued into place with CA

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 05:03:31 pm »

Planking  {:-{

Balsa would be easy to work with but prove to be brittle so I opted for a rather unorthodox alternative  :}

1. Found these decorative strips of composite (?) wood at a neighbourhood carpenter. He was unsure of its origin and simply called it   
    "Chinese wood". It was resilient and extremely flexible.
2. Sliced them into rough 5mm strips.
3. Started planking. Industrial CA. Note the absence of any holding clips or pins.
4. Continued
5. Continued
6. Shape / Profile check - Hope you approve..............
7. Bow shaped with a Dremel - yes, I know, huge gaps that have to be filled up {:-{
8. Comparative sizes along side the 1:48 PT 109

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 05:18:43 pm »

Not many have attempted to scratch build the later model Schnellboots. Particularly due to the difficulty of crafting the 'Kalotte' (Skullcap) Bridge. So many individual pieces have to be joined to create this unique structure.

Now that I have somehow managed to replicate this, I am breathing a HUGE sigh of relief. It wasn't easy. Unlike some other genius scratchbuilders on this forum, I have no experience of crafting geodesic domes or whatever - for me it was a novel experience. The detailing is still left and the sectioned plexiglass wind shield will be added last. The most difficult aspect of this build was sticking to scale.

The Flakvierling was the next challenge. I contemplated buying the Tamiya kit, but just as luck would have it both my kit suppliers Hobby Easy and Lucky Hobbies had them list as 'out of stock'. Had to scratch build it. Yes, the barrels traverse to scale. Materials used - Balsa scrap, styrofoam, brass rods, soft wood, card.

The Twin 20 mm C/30 cannon was next on the cards. Using the same materials, I crafted a piece and then found it to be grossly out of scale. The last photograph in this post shows the final rework. Yet to paint her and mount the shield.

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 05:54:42 pm »

Back to the Hull. (I wish I really was - I do have a lot of respect for the Yorkshireman  :-) )

1. The entire hull exterior has been painted with Poly Urethane waterproof glue
2. First layer of sawdust has been drizzled over it
3. It resembles like a Woolly Mammoth now!
4. Second and third consecutive layers (PU glue + Saw Dust) applied and this is the result
5. Drizzled Industrial CA over the hull so that loose shavings don't come off during the next step
6. Thereafter it was time for the Quickfix (somewhat like Balsa cement - it is waterproof and dries hard) diluted in thinner coat. There was
    some old red paint in the mixing tin and that blended into the liquid. Hence the red colour! Three tubes of (15ml x 3 = 45 ml) adhesive
    were used - diluted with about 100 ml of Nitro Cellulose Thinner
7. 6 hours later, the mammoth has been shaved. The fibres are very dense and tightly packed now. Ready for sanding
8. Painted Automotive 'Soft Cut' putty diluted with thinner on the inside of the hull. This will fill the gaps and make the hull waterproof
9. A perspective look at the hull
10. Decided to make new fore and main decks out of 3mm foam. Have roughly cut out 2 sheets of each (one with and another against the
      grain - yes, I've realised that this foam also has a kind of grain - its easier to cut in one particular direction, not so easy the other way.)
      Will result in a 6mm deck. That will make it easier to sand off the edges into a bevelled / rounded finish. The entire main deck assembly
      will be removable and will be attached to the hull with studs. I need to think of a suitable water proof gasket/sealant between the edge
      of the removable deck section and the hull.

This is where it stands as of right now. For the record, build started in September, last year and was progressing at a fine pace till Mom passed away suddenly in November. Everything came to a halt and stayed put till I decided to resume a few days ago. Wish me luck,  this is going to be a tough nut to crack if I plan on finishing her as envisaged at the inception.

Regards.

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:02:12 am »

Hi... I am watching your build with interest... What is the purpose of gluing the sawdust onto the hull?
Lee

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 08:59:21 am »

The purpose is two fold.

A. It adds volume to the thin hull and also makes it stronger.
B. The sawdust and glue mixture also acts as a filler.

I am in the process of wet sanding right now, once I upload the pictures of the hull after the first sanding, the effect will be evident.

Thanks for asking.

Regards.

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 09:27:16 am »

That's interesting, I hadn't seen that technique before...so its an alternative to car body filler really?  By the way, where did you get your plans from?
Lee

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 10:28:42 am »

If you look at his location, you will see it looks like we have another Krishna on our hands.

The sawdust sounds an intersting budget alternative to filler, as long as you have a ready access to sawdust.

I just hope you are using a waterproof glue!
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 12:48:23 pm »

Lee, I forget where I got them from, but if you let me have your email id, I would gladly sent them across. By the way, they are really not plans, rather they are plan views/ diagrams. However, it is enough to work upon. Most importantly, the templates for the bulkheads are included.

Dear Essex "If you look at his location, you will see it looks like we have another Krishna on our hands." Sir, I don't really know if I like that statement. Don't get me wrong, yes I too am from India but the resemblance ends there. Perhaps, my linguistic ability (or the lack of it) will be proof enough of that. I would prefer not to be included in the same bracket in future. No offence meant.

Here we don't have ready access to 'modelling material' as you know it, so we have to make do with whatever we can improvise. The reason that I didn't use car body filler is, that on such a large surface area, it would involve a lot of elbow grease getting it off. Yes, I did use waterproof glues all the way.

Regards.

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 12:55:24 pm »

Hi VC... I just sent you a personal message...
By the way, the remark about Krishna was a compliment, I think... there is a member on the forum called Krishna who we all have great admiration for because he builds excellent models using whatever is available...I am sure you were being compared for your similar ability.
Lee

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 01:00:41 pm »

Lee, I am completely aware of who or what Mr. Krishna is. I wouldn't like to comment about this in future.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 01:43:12 pm »

Lee, I forget where I got them from, but if you let me have your email id, I would gladly sent them across. By the way, they are really not plans, rather they are plan views/ diagrams. However, it is enough to work upon. Most importantly, the templates for the bulkheads are included.

Dear Essex "If you look at his location, you will see it looks like we have another Krishna on our hands." Sir, I don't really know if I like that statement. Don't get me wrong, yes I too am from India but the resemblance ends there. Perhaps, my linguistic ability (or the lack of it) will be proof enough of that. I would prefer not to be included in the same bracket in future. No offence meant.

Here we don't have ready access to 'modelling material' as you know it, so we have to make do with whatever we can improvise. The reason that I didn't use car body filler is, that on such a large surface area, it would involve a lot of elbow grease getting it off. Yes, I did use waterproof glues all the way.

Regards.

Please accept my apologies if my comment offended you, it was in no way meant in a nasty or vindictive way.

While I understand Mr Krishna has had some bad press in the past he is in fact a very accomplished modeller and his work is excellent considering like yourself he only has access to very limited resources.
I meant it as a compliment to your workmanship and lateral thinking when coming up with alternative methods/materials

Again many apologies if I was misunderstood

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 01:53:56 pm »

Essex, my apologies too if I was rather abrupt. I know you didn't mean any harm - Let's just say that I am a bit touchy about this subject. Now, please allow me to get back to the Schnellboot.  :-))

Lee, did you get the 3 emails?

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 01:59:56 pm »

No problem... I'm looking forward to seeing how the hull turns out

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 02:13:43 pm »

Essex, my apologies too if I was rather abrupt. I know you didn't mean any harm - Let's just say that I am a bit touchy about this subject. Now, please allow me to get back to the Schnellboot.  :-))

Lee, did you get the 3 emails?

Yes I did, thank you VC  :-)

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 02:45:50 pm »

From the pictures available on the net, I noticed that the main deck is not flat. Rather it is curved - the centre line is higher than the sides. I added foam strips to the bottom sheet and folded the top sheet over it. Temporarily cellotaped them together, looks satisfactory for now.

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 02:56:37 pm »

Hull has been rough sanded with 100 grit.

Due to the camera angle, in the first picture the hull shape (especially the bow) does not seem symmetrical. Actually it is. I need to add an extra piece of wood on the bow and then sand it down to achieve the sharp nose.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 02:59:11 pm »

Just a thought, would it not be easier to stipple the outside of the sawdust with a watered down version of the glue used initially rather than cyano?

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 03:03:15 pm »

As a matter of fact, I used a watered down glue and then sprinkled the saw dust over it as it dried. This was done 3 times, each time allowing the previous layer to dry completely. Call it over enthusiasm  {-)   if you will, I decided to stipple it CA. Just to be doubly sure. You should have seen the smoke rising from the CA as it hit the sawdust! Mesmerising!

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 11:16:37 pm »

Hi VC nice build you got going on here. I use sawdust and glue but not quite to the extent you have. Youl have arms like Arnold Schwarzenegger after sanding that lot down.  :}

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 04:57:55 am »

Spot on Mike! If not Arnie, at the end of the day, my arms do remind me of  Popeye. I think I overdid it a bit this time.

Last evening, I used the Dremel to cut away the Torpedo exit bays on the fore hull. This was one step that I wasn't looking forward to for the fear of messing up the symmetry. By God's grace, it has worked out all right. Pictures to follow soon.

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 02:15:11 pm »

1. Automotive putty applied. It is ready for wet sanding now. Will be using 150 grit Dry/Wet black emery paper to start with.

2. Torpedo exit bays have been cut out.

sean Half-pint works

• Full Mayhemer
  • Because I can!
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 04:31:53 pm »

Now that is a mighty fine hull, I look forward to seeing how this lot comes together. Please keep the pictures coming, your giving me ideas for cheaper was of adapting my Dickie tug  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Do you have any photos of the prototype please?

Sean
Semper fidelis

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 04:38:16 pm »

Sean, thank you for the encouragement. I deeply appreciate it. Unfortunately, I don't have a prototype. As I have said before, I making this purely from scratch with a plan view (and a whole bunch of photographs gleaned from the net) for reference. If you would like to have the plan view, do let me have your email id and I would be more than glad to send it across.

Regards.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 23 queries.