Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner 700BB seized  (Read 3169 times)

Ryanb

• Full Mayhemer
Graupner 700BB seized
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:31:00 pm »

Just been testing my set up and for some reason one of my motor has seized up and will not turn at all.

any ideas?

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Graupner 700BB seized
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 02:10:56 am »

Is it still connected to a coupling and prop shaft if it is check that the lock nuts on the coupling and prop havnt come loose and tightened up against  either end of the shaft. The bearings on the motor are very reliable if its a bb turbo they are ball bearing races, should last years, mine have without much maintenance.
Hope its of use
Regards sub.

Ryanb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:13:56 am »

Hi sub, it was not connected to a shaft, just the motor sat in the mount. I was literally testing the set up with a few blips! 2 motors and one just seized!

Not sure if I did anything wrong when soldering the resistors on.

Ryan

inertia

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:09:27 am »

Ryan
It's entirely possible that you managed to get a bit of cut-off capacitor leg or other debris into the cooling slot, as there's a ruddy great big magnet inside there. It you can't see the intruder and teeze it out with tweezers then you may have to take the backplate off the motor and withdraw the armature. This is tricky!
For the future, always cover the cooling slots with tape when you're working on the motor.
DM

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:12:17 am »

Ryan
It's entirely possible that you managed to get a bit of cut-off capacitor leg or other debris into the cooling slot, as there's a ruddy great big magnet inside there. It you can't see the intruder and teeze it out with tweezers then you may have to take the backplate off the motor and withdraw the armature. This is tricky!
For the future, always cover the cooling slots with tape when you're working on the motor.
DM

Sounds like the voice of experience  :embarrassed:  I'm glad I'm not the only one to do that!
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Ryanb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 10:11:58 am »

There is a possibility this may have happened dave, they were exposed!  :o

I guess it's a new lesson learnt!

I will have a play tonight as I cannot make it any worse, but I think it will be a purchase of a new motor as once it is part I cannot see it going back together in the same way!! Ha ha %%

I am hoping Martin still has the 2 700's for sale!

Ry

inertia

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 11:20:51 am »

The tricky jobs when reassembling one of these are to get the shaft through the front bearing (as the permanent magnet wants to pull the armature to the side) and to separate the motor brushes enough to get them each side of the commutator while you position the backplate. I find that swearing at the motor in a Geordie accent while doing the job seems to help...................so would four very small hands instead of the two meat-lumps I have!
Good luck, Ryan.
DM

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 11:34:40 am »

Make sure the two motor to mount screws are not too long and they are 'catching' the motor as it tries to go round. If they are too long then carefully cut them down or pack them out with washers. Just a guess!!! Regards, Dave.

Ryanb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 01:21:05 pm »

Tried swearing before but will consider putting it a Geordie accent, see if that improves the matter in hand!

Luckily on this occasion my dad did all the taking apart and it was fixed by the time I got home from work, turns out some solder had crept inside!

Thanks for the helps chaps, I've learnt something new again!

Ryan

inertia

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 02:47:03 pm »

Is your Dad a Geordie, then?
Glad it's fixed.
DM

Ryanb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 03:05:43 pm »

No  {-) but he can swear like one!!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:53:20 pm »

i had a geordie girlfriend once and she taught me all the swear words i would ever need in life..........and she came from the posh end....High Heaton {-) {-) {-) {-)

taught me a few other things in life too........but won't go into that on here :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Ryanb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 11:11:18 pm »

taught me a few other things in life too........but won't go into that on here :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 01:37:00 am »

If it goes wrong again Ryan,hit it with a hammer.If it comes out flat,bin it.If it still doesnt work,hit it with the hammer again,until it comes out flat,and then bin it.Hope this helps!

And Neil,I hope your other half doesnt read this column and your educational exploits,otherwise you may get hit by the hammer and binned also (OUCH!)
Mick F
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.