Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st Scratchbuild - HMS Ariadne  (Read 27551 times)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1st Scratchbuild - HMS Ariadne
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2013, 02:46:19 am »

Moved on to the foremast. I needed a platform located at the top of the mast.
Made a plastic sleeve first, to fit over the mast, then the platform itself, in balsa, was attached to that.
I then used some scrap 0.5mm plasticard to make the angled plates which support the main platform.

Next came the radar base frame. This was just 4 x short lengths of the mild steel roundbar set at angles to the base. A piece of scrap plastic was set on top of these and, finally, a piece of 3mm balsa was cut and sanded to shape to represent the radar head.

mast_platform

Next came the upper mast, located just behind the radar.

Drilled the platform to accept a short piece of copper tube which will be the sleeve for the mast, which will be removeable for ease of transportation to and from the lake.
The upper mast itself is also a length of copper tube.

upper_mast.jpg

Found a length of round plastic, with a moulded cone shape on the end, which was a good fit inside the mast, so this was used as a base for the aerial array at the very top.
I then needed 4 x "T.V. style" arms radiating from the centre.

These were made from some magazine clips, cut down to suit and filed down to create "flats" so that 0.25mm holes could be drilled in them for the aerial elements.

radial_arms.jpg

The elements were made from some fine copper wire - stretched taut - then cut into 1cm lengths and mounted on the arms.
Once glued in place the elements were trimmed down using a triangular piece of scrap plastic as a guide.

mast_array.jpg

Hope to get a bit more done soon...

Regards,

Ray.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:31 am »

Lovely job Ray.
The cone shaped aerials are actually
UHF TxRx aerials.
Usually known as 'Christmas Trees'

Ned Ex HMSJuno.
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2013, 09:37:03 pm »

Usually known as 'Christmas Trees'

Yep, that's the ones Ned  :-))

They had a specific alpha/numeric designation but the old memory won't recall it - so Christmas Trees it is :D

Regards,

Ray.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2013, 10:52:41 pm »

Looking superb, being following this thread and you have defo made a sterling good job of your first scratch build. If she sails as half as good as she looks then she will be the envy of the pond.

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2013, 11:48:36 pm »

Ray my memory may be playing tricks but I believe that aerial on the masthead will be
the passive intercept aerial of the UA13 - Ariadne did have it fitted at some time in her
service.
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 08:02:53 am »

Yep, that's the ones Ned  :-))

They had a specific alpha/numeric designation but the old memory won't recall it - so Christmas Trees it is :D

Regards,

Ray.

AJE's Methinks

Ned

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2013, 10:36:56 pm »

Ned, Geoff & Si,

Thank you very much indeed for your feedback...

Geoff - received your PM - it appears that the whole of my previous posting has been abducted. I'll re-do it later on tonight after the dogwalk.

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2013, 11:00:42 pm »

Moved on to the foremast. I needed a platform located at the top of the mast.
Made a plastic sleeve first, to fit over the mast, then the platform itself, in balsa, was attached to that.
I then used some scrap 0.5mm plasticard to make the angled plates which support the main platform.

Next came the radar base frame. This was just 4 x short lengths of the mild steel roundbar set at angles to the base. A piece of scrap plastic was set on top of these and, finally, a piece of 3mm balsa was cut and sanded to shape to represent the radar head.

foremast_platform.jpg

Next came the upper mast, located just behind the radar.

Drilled the platform to accept a short piece of copper tube which will be the sleeve for the mast, which will be removeable for ease of transportation to and from the lake.
The upper mast itself is also a length of copper tube.

top_mast.jpg

Found a length of round plastic, with a moulded cone shape on the end, which was a good fit inside the mast, so this was used as a base for the aerial array at the very top.
I then needed 4 x "T.V. style" arms radiating from the centre.

These were made from some magazine clips, cut down to suit and filed down to create "flats" so that 0.25mm holes could be drilled in them for the aerial elements.

radial_arms.jpg

The elements were made from some fine copper wire - stretched taut - then cut into 1cm lengths and mounted on the arms.
Once glued in place the elements were trimmed down using a triangular piece of scrap plastic as a guide.

mast_array.jpg

Nothing else done so far...hope to carry on with the foremast later in the week.

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2013, 11:29:36 pm »

I didn't realise just how long it has been since the last update  :o

Now that the pressures of the summer are easing off (Allotment, holidays, decorating etc...) I can get back into it.

So, the foremast yardarms were made up in the same manner as the mainmast ones.

foremast_yardarms.jpg

The angle between the horizontal yard and the supports is different from that of the mainmast so made up another jig to suit.

The yards were aligned in the same way as the mainmast ones, positions marked and holes drilled to accommodate the structure.

alignment_rig.jpg

arms_in_place.jpg

Made up the foremast ladder (etched brass) and glued in place - this had to be done now as the next item to make and fit was the D/F platform.
This was made up using plasticard with mild steel round bar for the supporting legs.

My first attempt to make the D/F loops went as follows - a length of soft copper wire, stretched taut, was wound around a circular former a few times. This "coil" was then cut through at opposing sides so that the resultant "C" shapes could be lined up for soldering together to form the 2 D/F loops.

df_loops.jpg

A hole was drilled in the platform to mount the loops using a small split-pin, then the whole thing was mounted onto the foremast, whereupon the whole lot sprang apart  >:-o

The second attempt: Drilled a hole in a piece of wood and inserted the "stem" of the d/f mounting pin (made of mild steel this time) and placed a miniature brass eyelet over this (inverted) and soldered together - this gave me a sound base on which to mount the 2 loops. So, this was soldered up and mounted onto the platform and finally pinned and glued to the foremast, being careful to ensure the unit was centrally located.

df_in_position.jpg

More work on the foremast to follow - tomorrow ?

Regards,

Ray.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2013, 12:14:35 am »

Ray.......many...many years ago I was involved in the refit of the Vickers 4.5" twin mount on our HMAS Parramatta here in Sydney........are you going to add the Gun Captains  :o claustrophobic  Perspex viewing box? [located on the STDB aft quarter of the mounting] ..............
NB....the image below is of a DE....with twin 4.5's FWD ....&  twin 4.5's AFT.......[A, B, X & Y].........they were a brilliantly reliable gun......however >>:-( the hydraulic systems leaked to such a degree, the sailors wore raincoats in the gun house O0  Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2013, 04:44:12 am »

Rear view on H.M.A.S. Vampire.
I have more pictures of Vampire if you need them.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2013, 05:25:13 am »

Thanks Brian..........that is the "A" [or FWD] mounting on Vampire ..........provides a much better image of the Gun Captains  :o claustrophobic perspex viewing box ......
I {-) jokingly called it perspex....when they were 2.5" thick armour plated glass panes . O0 ..................Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2013, 10:53:25 pm »

Derek & Brian,

Thank you very much indeed for those superb photo's - not sure I want to add a lot of detail on this model's gun although I will probably add the viewing box.
With permission, I will save those photo's for future reference - will be looking to scratch build more detailed models in the future when, hopefully my modelling skills have improved somewhat  %)

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2013, 11:41:48 pm »

Next came another radar platform higher up the mast but needs to be angled further to the Port side.

The platform was made up from some scrap plasticard.
The radar is made from some items from the "bits box", drilled, then mounted on a mild steel framework. The radar frame was then epoxied onto the platform and put aside to harden off.
A dry fit showed it looked ok so the unit was glued in place.

Realised at this point that the upper mast has 2 supporting beams from just behind the uppermost radar.
So, the angles were worked out, 2 rods cut to size and soldered to the mast.
These will lift away when the upper mast is removed for transport / storage.

Now needed to make the uppermost signals yard. For the top, mild steel rod, then used a short length of etched-brass ladder, with every 2nd & 3rd rung removed, and mounted this horizontally onto the underside of the top bar and soldered in place.
The supporting struts (2 legs each side) were then soldered up in inverted "V" fashion and set in place on the platform.
Then, with heatsinks in place, the yard was soldered to the supports.

upper_mast.jpg

upper_yards.jpg

Consideration was now given to the layout of the ICS/2 main comms aerials.
I'll be running 4 lines between the masts with corresponding down leads which will need terminating.
1 terminal runs into the mainmast, the other to a fixture at the foot of the foremast. so these were made up and fitted now rather than when all the "wires" are strung up as that would just be asking for trouble.

Here's the one at the foot of the foremast.

foremast_link.jpg

Hoping to get the Seacat missile system sorted next O0

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2013, 11:11:26 pm »

Made the Seacat director up with bits of plasticard, the dish was finished off by soldering up 3 x radial arms and the centre probe then mounted to the structure and the whole unit was then epoxied into position.

Seacat Launcher: Once again, this was made with off-cuts of plasticard, along with a centre "cone". The missile loading carriages were each made in a jig and soldered before mounting onto their respective launch pads.

seacat_system.jpg

Note: Some Leanders had two sets of quad-missile platforms but Ariadne only carried the one, hence the director mounted   to stbd and the launcher to Port.

Next:The missile bodies were carved from wood and sanded down ready for painting.

missile_body.jpg

The missile stabilizing fins were marked onto 0.5mm plastic and cut out then filed to final shape.

stabilizers.jpg

Slots were then cut into the missile bodies with the stanley knife and fins inserted.
Incidentally, the vast majority of my marking out has been done with a fine tipped felt pen (as used for writing on blank CDs). Pencil lines tend to fade during handling and Biro tends to leave grooves in the material.

Here's the first missile in position on a dry run:-

first_missile.jpg

....and all four in position, again this is dry run only as they have yet to be painted.

missiles_ready.jpg

When the model nears completion the painted missiles will be pinned and glued for stability / safety.

........we're getting there, slowely but surely  :-)

Regards,

Ray.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2013, 02:51:33 am »

Ray....here is a good link for the GWS 2x [Seacat] launcher
From memory.... :o  dummy test missiles were white with BLUE tips......and active missiles were BLUE with RED tips
So either way you could depict your vessel as in shore/harbour with white birds or at sea with blue birds  O0
One of the crazy  %% things was that the American marine missile systems that we also used on our HMA vessels had blue birds as
dummy test missiles & white birds as the real item........ <*< .....Derek

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CEEQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fdavids_world_2011%2F5932728417%2F&ei=lyUtUu2hKKWtiAfQuIGADA&usg=AFQjCNE9AkVGZ9msiyVJ1KmqPKH6oaly6w
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2013, 03:53:49 pm »

I thought Seacat dummies were blue and live missiles were white with yellow fins.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2013, 05:05:50 pm »

I thought Seacat dummies were blue and live missiles were white with yellow fins.

My memory tells me the same.

Ned

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2013, 11:06:28 pm »

mmm...you certainly could be correct....... >:-o here are a few GWS2x missiles on display from WIKI pages ...I will find the WIKI page & add it here..............
Certainly in OZ......missiles on display were inert or dummies........Derek

These are listed as INERT training rounds....
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CDgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSea_Cat&ei=nUQuUq7gD8m1iAeOtICADw&usg=AFQjCNHQyHiVykk1jrKY1nGy_oKiQn1maQ

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2013, 02:28:09 am »

The NATO rule was blue for dummy warheads, although I recall that it was changed to gold/copper colour about a decade ago.
Tom

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2013, 03:13:10 am »

There is certainly some confusion within various systems/protocols here >>:-(
Seacat missile systems are now obsolete in OZ
Our Australian warships with the FMC manufactured GMLS13 system did and still do use BLUE [surface to air] dummy or [TSAM] 'test 'missiles ....they have a sharp pointed cone on the pointy end  <*<
These are the ones displayed on the missile launcher guide arm when ships are in harbour or alongside
Harpoon missiles [technically capable of being armed or fired] as used in the same systems are all white with a domed head
The only time one could see a white Harpoon missile on a launcher would be during a loading operation from a barge to the dolly on deck to the guide arm .... then lowered into the vertical magazine
Note for Ray.....sorry was only trying to be helpful  :embarrassed: ........maybe just paint the GWS20x missiles grey........ unless someone can resolve the colour coding for UK missiles .........
Note for Tom........as a courtesy, Australia may abide with the rules of NATO, but certainly were not a signature member of that group...ie., we are not part of the North Atlantic.......................Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2013, 05:30:34 am »

Derek,
That is indded the relevant point, we are not part of NATO. :-)) :-))
The Army, also used white for training/inert munitiopns, eg practice grenades were white with holes drilled in the body.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2013, 11:39:59 am »

WOW - didn't realise there were so many differences with these missile colours  :o

.....should have taken more notice while in the service  >:-o

My thanks to you all for your input  O0

Nothing more done on the model to date - getting back to it soon I hope  :embarrassed:

Note for Derek: No need for any apologies mate - ALL information welcome here... :-))

Regards,

Ray.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2013, 06:45:18 pm »

Ray - from what I can remember from the Explosives Museum the live Seacat Missiles were white bodies with bronze coloured fins and
nose cone - the Dummy missiles were all dark green with red nose cones
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2013, 01:28:03 am »

Here's a link to a photo of a Seacat launcher: http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1699975
Shows the colours quite nicely.
Tom
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.