Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st Scratchbuild - HMS Ariadne  (Read 27547 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1st Scratchbuild - HMS Ariadne
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2013, 02:25:29 am »

{-) ...will it ever end Ray?......
The image of the GSW2x launcher displayed by Tom is a WWII vintage vessel.........nothing like your Ardine.........just look at the main gun mounting
Having said this, you have at least two choices  :(( ...paint the missiles White with coloured tips if you are depicting your vessel as along side or in a harbour area, or paint them Blue with coloured tips if the vessel is representative of being at sea
The only time that real missiles are placed on launchers is if real war games are being conducted, or on deployment in a real potential war zone.....an example of the latter would have been during the Falkland campaign, live missiles would have been on the GWS20x launcher 24/7
Remembering  >:-o if live missile's were Blue, they would have been removed from the launcher & stored in the missile magazine prior to the vessel entering harbour or coming along side....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2013, 02:45:54 am »

Just as an aside,

For the naval types.

Would it not then be protocol, for all missile armed vessels, to only display inert missiles, in port, much like the old gun salute, which was to empty cannons to show peace and friendship upon entering a harbour.  {:-{ {:-{
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2013, 09:45:54 pm »

Finally got around to doing a bit more.

Made up "mesh" guardrails for the seacat deck.

mesh_guardrail.jpg

The mesh was made from some old loudspeaker mesh, cut into strips, then attached with 1mm brass rod uprights and pinned into the seacat deck.
These uprights were made to replace the originals, which I had terminated flush with the seacat deck. Originals were 2cm high. The replacements are 3cm high to accommodate the 1cm high "mesh" guardrails.

While the glue was hardening off I turned my attention to the AJE's for the foremast.
I couldn't find anymore of those toy soldiers with the bazookas (see reply no.49) so I decided to attempt to mould some.

Made up a small batch of P38 and pressed my one remaining "AJE" into it and left it to harden off.

I know that moulds are normally made in 2 halves but for this job I did it in a "oner".

When set, the "mould" was cut in half, thus releasing the original. Now, the 2 halves were taped back together and the mould was filled with glue using a "cool-melt" glue gun.

Made a nice mug of tea while the glue set. O0

Released the mould and freed the copy. This just needed a little trimming with a craft knife and I had the result I was after.
The remaining 7 copies were made from the same mould.
A point to note: Each moulding needs some sort of releasing agent - in this case I just lightly coated the mould with vaseline, applied with a small artist's brush (12 for £1 in some corner shops!)

Try as I might, I just couldn't get any decent photo's during this process, this one is the best I could get - oh dear...

basic_mould.jpg

Once all mouldings had been trimmed they were mounted using 5 minute epoxy, minor adjustments to their orientation being carried out whilst the glue was going off.

more_aje.jpg

...another update to follow shortly

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2013, 10:45:51 pm »

Here's another attempt at getting a photo - the mesh rail can just about be seen...

mesh_on.jpg

Next came the etched-brass ladders - 12 altogether - these can be quite difficult to manipulate due to the flimsy material and so easy to bend out of shape and nigh impossible to get back into shape however, they were all eventually cut to size and glued into place.

Then came the vertical (or near vertical) antennae: 9 in total on this model.
These were cut from mild steel rod (again) and set into rubber bases - these were just some rubber "feet" of the type used to mount bits of I.T. equipment.
Once glued in position the antennae were covered with plastic drinks straws to help to avoid injuries - they will only be removed for sailing sessions - and for painting of course ;)

antennae_array.jpg

aerial_guards.jpg

The whole of the superstructure was then given another coat of primer, hopefully to get everything blended in.

primed_again.jpg

Some of the etched-brass ladders can be seen in this shot - wonderful what a lick of paint can do - now she's beginning to look more like a warship O0

With a bit of luck I'll get the top-coat on tomorrow, then the superstructure will at least match the hull.

Regards,

Ray.

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2013, 02:52:25 am »

Just as an aside,

For the naval types.

Would it not then be protocol, for all missile armed vessels, to only display inert missiles, in port, much like the old gun salute, which was to empty cannons to show peace and friendship upon entering a harbour.  {:-{ {:-{

IIRC, the launchers were kept empty unless missiles were about to be launched. Nowadays, missiles usually come prepackaged in launch tubes. Crane the launch tube into position, tighten the bolts, plug the wiring harness in, and that's all there is to it.

Tom

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2013, 07:35:27 am »

IIRC, the launchers were kept empty unless missiles were about to be launched. Nowadays, missiles usually come prepackaged in launch tubes. Crane the launch tube into position, tighten the bolts, plug the wiring harness in, and that's all there is to it.

Tom
Thank you  :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2013, 09:18:00 am »

Sorry Tom........ :o ....best get our understanding....... thoughts/facts in gear....... >>:-( being simplistic suggests a missile in your next box of Corn Flakes........  :(( .....not so ...........may I ask what is your experience/qualification  to make such comments?.......Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2013, 12:41:13 am »

Comments based only upon observations of the USN warships that I've sailed in company with. Sorry!
The RCN Halifax-class frigates carry vertical-launch Sea Sparrow missiles, and they are in tubes when installed. I don't know if they come from the factory packaged this way, or if they are packed at the Magazine where we get them.
I was in HMCS Montreal's commissioning crew, and her Harpoon missiles hadn't been installed back then. We just had the empty brackets, and junction boxes for the missiles' cables.
Tom

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2013, 02:04:55 am »

Well that's certainly qualification to comment  O0
Some missiles are loaded into individual cells, some are loaded into magazines
I think our Australian Anzac class frigates [German MEKO] have 8 sea sparrow + 8 harpoon cells, our FFG's & DDG's each had a magazine capable of 40 holding harpoon/standard [SSM-SAM] missiles  >>:-( ...although I had never witnessed a full magazine.....come to think of it  :o  at the time, our RAN probably shared 40 missiles between 6 ships
I did witness two standard SSM firings at sea........over the horizon to the target..............most impressive....they were fondly termed as "woosh-bangs"   {-)
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2013, 07:03:05 pm »

Had to wait a good while to get the topcoat spraying done.
Got it done eventually though. :-))

Then it was onto the bridge window "glass" - this was a strip of coloured packaging that I'd saved years ago and knew it would come in handy one day - so this was cut to size and glued in place with "Formula 560" canopy glue.
I've had this bottle for 15 years now and it still does the job, doesn't craze and dries clear - lovely stuff.

bridge_windows.jpg

The nav light apertures were masked off and painted black.
When dry the Port & Stbd lamps were glued in place. Also, now that the bridge windows have been installed, the bridge roof cap was glued in place, along with the fwd gun director.

Then came the ships boats.

The captain's motor launch was tackled first.
Glued 4 pieces of 10mm square balsa together, pencilled in the shape of the boat and sanded to shape. Used 1mm plasticard for the after keel section, with fixed kort from round tube.
Made up the wheelhouse/cabin from another section of 10mm x 10mm balsa.

The whaler for the stbd side was made in a similar fashion.
The resultant hulls were then given a coat of sanding sealer and, when dry, this was sanded smooth ready for painting.

The 2 boats were then painted and little bits added: tinted windows on the launch and split pins for the lifting / lowering eyes.
The whaler was given a couple of athwartships seats and the split pin eyes.
The boat chocks were then added to the davits, along with the rigging ropes, which have been given a good pull through the saddle soap.

The liferaft cannisters were made up and painted. It took a few attempts to get the straps and central rubber seals looking straight, but we more or less got there in the end.

The funnel was masked off for black topping, indication worn by Sqn Ldr - in this instance "Leader 7th Frigate Squadron".
I had not thought of doing this earlier in the build. A pity really, as this would have saved me a real headache in the masking up dept (see photo). Absolutely every part of the superstructure had to be masked off to get this one little job done  >>:-(

Used a combination of cereal packet card, newspaper and tape to achieve this.

funnel_spray.jpg

While this was drying off, the portholes were filled with the canopy glue and left to dry - result, clear glazing.

The liferaft cannisters were glued in place (epoxy ), portholes glued in place (cyano).

BECC numeral "7" added each side of the funnel, denoting 7th frigate sqn.

The 9 vertical aerials were given a couple of coats of white paint which seemed, to me, to bring the model to life...used bits of printer paper to mask off the aerial bases as these were to remain grey, apart from the one on the main gun.

Selected a length of cordage to represent halyards.
This was pulled through saddle soap, twisting at the same time to ensure the whole length was well covered.

More to follow.......

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2013, 07:45:45 pm »

The idea of the saddle soap is the same as using beeswax - to minimise the chances of the cordage becoming "hairy" over time and sort of makes it water resistant.

Decided on just one set of halyards to each foremast main yard and one central behind the mast to carry the ensign.

halyards_rigged.jpg

The horizontal aerial arrangement for the ICS1/2 comms run between the main and foremast.
Attempted to represent these using thin strands of fine copper wire twisted together with the battery drill and attached to the vice to get it nice and tight.
I couldn't get them to maintain shape when attached to the yards so they were abandoned.
Tried using rigging thread but that looked awful, so opted in the end for shirring elastic.

ICS_wires

This was a bit of a nightmare to tie into place but eventually got it done.

Seacat Missiles: These were sprayed with Halfords grey primer (2 coats) then top-coated with "BMW" alpine white. - halfords obviously recommend white primer but I didn't want the missiles looking too bright, hence the grey primer.

These were then left to harden off for 24hrs, after which the stabilizing fins were painted with "beaten copper" (citadel paints) along with the 2 rings on the nose-cone. (more or less in line with the suggested colour scheme by "Pugwash")

When dry, the missiles were glued to the launcher.

missiles_ready.jpg

Now the whole of the upperworks were sprayed with clear matt varnish.

All that remained was to carry out ballasting in the test tank (i.e. the bath)

More to follow......

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2013, 08:19:53 pm »

The model was almost on the correct waterline - just needed a small quantity of lead just in front of bulkhead number 3 and she was spot on :-))

Next came the weigh in.
Model weight (all up, inc batteries) = 7lb
Model with stand / cradles            = 9.5lb

All that remained now was sea trials.

weather_watch.jpg

ready.jpg

Finally, it was down to the lake (today). A fresh NNW'ly blowing but not too bad...

carboot_fits.jpg

good_fit.jpg

As can be seen, the model is a good fit across the boot of the car. Notice the aerial protectors (straws) are in place <*<

One final photo before sea trials:

lake_prep.jpg

Last minute checks then off she goes.

sea_trials.jpg

acceptance_trials

Sorry for the poor sailing images - cheap camera   poor weather = poor photo's.

Better than nowt though....

Regards,

Ray.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2013, 08:28:34 pm »

Congratulations Ray....she looks good on the water.... :-)) ...Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2013, 08:51:53 pm »

Cheers Derek - just a pity I couldn't get a bit of video footage, she heels over just like the real thing on a power turn. Got to be aware of wind direction though.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the result and looking forward to my next sailing session with her.

In the meantime, I'll sort through my sets of plans to decide what to build next... %)

Regards,

Ray.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2013, 09:08:26 pm »

Ray,
If you wanted a bit more stability you could ballast her a bit deeper as she looks to sit rather high.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2013, 09:16:39 pm »

Thanks Bob - I'll carry out further trials over the coming weeks in various weather conditions and see how it goes... :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2013, 09:21:53 pm »

Ray,
She looks good, would hate to see a strong gust of wind set her over or even turn her into a "fine weather" model.
These hulls were arguably one of the best sea boats in the RN.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2013, 09:36:38 pm »

These hulls were arguably one of the best sea boats in the RN.

Bob
Couldn't agree with you more Bob - I served on Ariadne & Penelope and loved it - then Drafty decided I would love Submarines even more  >>:-( >>:-(

Regarding the model though - with it being based on an "easy build" hull - she is flat bottomed and loses some of that ability to "cut through" the water, so she will need constant watching  O0

Regards,

Ray.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2013, 10:17:03 pm »

Well done Ray - nice to see it finished - if you do have a stability problem you could do what I did with Aisne
which was to fit a small removable keel with a lead bulb and can be removed to fit on its stand.  It now sails
very realistically in all weathers without any worries.  Paint the keel and bulb dark grey and it cannot be seen
underwater. I did have trouble with a gun Leander |HMS Juno - it was so unstable it now sits in its case in the lounge and has
never been further that the bath (in which it almost turned turtle)

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2013, 02:11:19 am »

Looks great Ray  :-))
I particularly like the horizontal aerial arrangement in shirring elastic - very neat. I bet that took a good few attempts to get right.

Dave

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2013, 09:29:42 am »

Hi ya Ray

Your model is looking really good and looks nice on the lake.   You have made a grand job of it.

What's your next build.  Another grey? or something completely different.    It's a strange feeling when you have finished a model that you have enjoy doing I always think.   You feel like you have lost something.

So get building another good un; out with the plans mate and have a shufty through them.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2013, 10:04:40 am »

I wasn't sure about your build at first, now I want one!  Good job!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2013, 10:58:19 am »

You have made a cracking job of her Ray pity I could not get down to the lake yesterday to see her first sea trials, never mind no doubt I will see her over the next few weeks. :-)) :-)) :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2013, 04:46:35 pm »

no doubt I will see her over the next few weeks. :-)) :-)) :-))
Yep, you will indeed Brian, intend sailing weekly - weather permitting of course.

I wasn't sure about your build at first, now I want one!  Good job!
Go for it ! I had my doubts at first but that's just a self-confidence thing. It's a grand feeling when the model gets onto the lake  O0

It's a strange feeling when you have finished a model that you have enjoy doing I always think.   You feel like you have lost something.

So get building another good un; out with the plans mate and have a shufty through them.

aye
john

You're spot on there John - and the empty workbench just doesn't look right  {:-{
I bet that took a good few attempts to get right.

Dave

It certainly was difficult, tying the knots then accidently cutting too close and the whole lot falling was really frustrating  %%
Found out eventually that snagging can be avoided by  1. Don't wear a watch 2. Roll your sleeves up out of the way 3. Work from the inside lines outover and 4. Don't try to do it all in one session - stop and have a brew.

fit a small removable keel with a lead bulb and can be removed to fit on its stand.

Geoff

That sounds feasible - thanks for the info Geoff  :-))

.....and thank you to all for your kind comments and, of course, your interest and input into this build.

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2023, 11:01:56 pm »

Hi All, I've resurrected this blog because last Tuesday I Finally, finally, managed to get a bit of footage of the model on the water!!!

Here's the link to the youtube vid.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.