Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another mini Loyal Class build!  (Read 2590 times)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Another mini Loyal Class build!
« on: February 12, 2013, 04:04:59 pm »

I have also started my 1/50th scale Loyal class build. I will post occasional updates here, but a full build log is on RCMB.

So far I have made a rudder, tiller arm and skeg. The deck supports are in and the freeing ports are roughed out waiting for the deck to be laid before final filing to shape. The receiver and ESC (Mtroniks micro viper) will sit on the shelf. The motor is a Graupner Speed 400, and the battery is a 6 volt NiMh. The servo is a cheap digital one from HobbyKing.

Following Dan's build log, I realised I needed to cut down the bulwarks, which I did using a cutting blade in my Dremel, then sanding to the line. The insides of the bulwarks have been smoothed with filler.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another mini Loyal Class build!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:55:53 pm »

The decks are now fitted, the electrics installed and the freeing ports cut. Today I wired up the switch and fitted coamings to the three openings.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 08:16:13 pm »

I had some problems - or rather I made a bit of a mess of the superstructure. I put the sides on the wrong side :embarrassed:  Not only that, having made new ones, I  almost repeated my mistake :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
They are now on correctly and the damage repaired. The wheelhouse is waiting for the glue to dry completely prior to work with sandpaper and filler ok2  I ahve fitted a 1.5 mm strip round the top of the gunwales and bulwark supports from the same material.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:28:48 pm »

Quite a bit of progress has been made since my last post. Decks are on, superstructure made, wheelhouse made and fitted. The radar works - motor and AA  battery are in the superstructure. Windows have been glazed with tinted material as I have not fitted out the wheelhouse {:-{

Trying to source fittings at 1/48th scale is a problem so I have made lots of can ventilators and the mast and nav lights.

I've started on painting the hull. Currently I'm fitting the surrounds to the superstructure deck. This is quite tricky and the first attempt cut from the templates in the pack didn't fit >:-o .

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 06:21:25 pm »

The hull is now painted and has had one coat of Satincote to even up the finishes of the different paints used. It will need one more at least. The names and number have been cut from vinyl and applied and the two hatches are finished. The rear one hides the main switch, with the 'lid' being held by magnets. I've started fitting stanchions and railings, the upper deck still to do. The gaps are bridges with chains where the liferaft canisters go.
I have ordered all the remaining fittings apart from a dinghy. The only one of the correct size I can find is a Quaycrafts one which is a bit expensive so I am trying to make a RIB. If this doesn't turn out to my satisfaction I will buy a RIB from Macs Mouldings and cut it down %)

Barrie

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 07:28:30 pm »

Hi Barrie, lovely build, she is looking really smart. Good job :-))
Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 08:12:37 pm »

These are great sailing boats. I owned a large scratch built version some years back and regretted ever selling it.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 08:25:17 pm »

I discovered that the 2 rail stanchions were wrong - should be three rail and flat  <:(  So these were replaced after locating some. I also realised that I should have cut anchor recesses in the hull before fitting the deck  :o  so those had to be fitted without internal access {:-{
The model is now almost complete and was "tank" tested today. Floats to the line just required a small piece of lead to starboard which should be replaced by the cargo winch and derrick when fitted.

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.