Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A little confused!  (Read 3028 times)

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
A little confused!
« on: February 14, 2013, 06:51:28 pm »

Hi all,

I've just got an Eldergarth Tug, built for towing. Obviously with it being constructed elsewhere, the wiring looms are very unfamiliar to me.

Now - it has 2 very large 12v motors and and a bow thruster. The bow thruster has an Mtronix marine 15 and the 2 motors have a rather old Action Electronics speed control each ( FR15HVR ???). Shed any light anyone?

There's also a few other Action units, to run lights and the main tow winch.

Ok - now, there are 2 sets of spades - does this mean I need 2 12v batteries rather than 1???
There's also what i'm assuming, is a set of 4 1.2v OR 1.5v Ni-Cads totalling 6v ... What on earth is this for? Receiver battery perhaps?

Any help or info. or advice would be much much appreciated folks.

Thanks in advance. :-)
Cheers,

-Adam-

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A little confused!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 07:35:26 pm »

Photos always help  ok2  The number you quoted for the speed control is an Electronize number, not ACTion.

Barrie

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 07:42:17 pm »

Thanks Barrie,

My apologies, I meant Electronize  :embarrassed: %)  Ok, photo's to follow tomorrow  :-))
Cheers,

-Adam-

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 07:47:07 pm »

OK,, My guess for what its worth.

Each motor has its own ESC and battery. The Electronize controls are very good, just a bit large for many boats, but excellent if you have the room.

The NiCds will be for the Receiver and possibly the lights. The Electronize ESC probably doesn't have a BEC.

Hope this helps.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:48:45 pm »

The code HVR indicates a built in bec. Its possible the nicads provide power for the bow thruster. its possible that the two sets of spades are linked. Tracing the wiring should help work out whats what. If not is there a local boat club who could help? John.

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 11:21:15 pm »

Thanks Guys, I think the boat needs 2 12v batteries - 1 for each ESC/Motor and the Ni-cad's as have been suggested, are for receiver and lights.

I'm not sure photo's would help as I wouldn't be able to capture every seperate lenght of wire from A-B-C and so on.

I'll have to pop down to the "nearest" club on Sunday if I can get there!

Looks like i'm in need of a relatively small/thin 12v SLA  O0 {:-{
Cheers,

-Adam-

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 11:01:02 am »

With the ESCs having BEC, an RX battery should not be needed unless the previous owner disconnected the red wires in the leads going to the RX to avoid problems with multiple BECs.
With multiple ESCs, a fuse feeding each ESC is a good idea.  If these fuses are mounted on a panel, it can double up as a distribution panel and you then just need the one main battery.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 11:51:08 am »

Thanks Malcolm,

The 2 ESC's both have a fuse each, as does the Mtronix ESC for the bow thruster.
Electronics is my downfall unfortunately - so me making a Dis. board is like asking me to dance bare foot on broken glass!  O0 :o {-)

I've traced the wiring several times and I cannot fathom out weather or not it is set up for 2 12v batteries or 2 6v batteries to equal 12v.

I've taken some photo's but I very much doubt they'll be usefull in figuring that out.  {:-{
Cheers,

-Adam-

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 11:58:44 am »

Action do a very handy distribution board that will make your set up so much easier and their wiring diagrams are very good. http://component-shop.co.uk/html/miscellaneous.html the P92 or P102 is what you are looking for

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 04:45:56 pm »

Thanks RMH - i'll give them a call and see what they say  :-))  Tight schedule mind - I'd like it running for Ellesmere!
Cheers,

-Adam-

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 07:52:18 pm »

I think i'm on the right track now.. but, can any of you folks answer this;

1) The Dis. Boards from ACTion, are they kits or ready to go?
2) Assuming i've read the descriptions correctly, I can use 2 12v batteries with the ACTion P103 parallel power board and P102 Motor Dis. Board? Bearing in mind that I have 2 large 12v motors to run, and a bow thruster (at an unknown voltage I might add, but I assume it's 6v-7.2v). Plus some ACTion units already installed for Lights and a working Winch that run from the Rx.

Am I atleast close to being on the right lines here?  :o
Cheers,

-Adam-

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 08:13:58 pm »

The Action boards are ready assembled. I should have pointed you to Action's website (now owned by component shop) where you can download PDF files of wiring diagrams they've done for many different boats.  Take a look at a few and you should then be able to work out your own diagram. The downloadable instruction manuals are quite clear even for complete wiggly amp/electric string muppets like me. If in doubt give them a ring. I did try to order a P92 a few days ago but they had no stock. Good luck I'm sure you will get there. http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 08:20:32 pm »

Thanks RMH - that is very much appreciated  :-)  I'll be giving them a call asap to get me some new Electronics!

Just a thought, after all this - I hope the bl###y motors work  %)  it'll be a right chew on trying to get those out! otherwise! IS there a way I can test the motors work before putting all new gear in?
Cheers,

-Adam-

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 10:54:58 pm »

You can test motors by removing the motor wires from the speed controllers and connecting them to a batterry directly

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 03:24:37 pm »

Thanks Stavros  :-)

Ok - well the good news is i've managed to figure out - with a little help  :-)) - the nest of wiring, and managed to reduce it for now. Until I get those ACTion Dis. boards, it will have to suffice.
 I have it running off a 12v battery and a seperate 6v for BT and winch.

Motor's work, Steering works, lights work, Bow thruster works, Winch works ... but for how long  :embarrassed: %)
Alsong as she gets through a day's work at Ellesmere, that'll do for now.......and doesn't sink!  %%
Cheers,

-Adam-
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.