Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: GRIFFON 600 HOVERCRAFT BUILD  (Read 20489 times)

Hover Tim

• Full Mayhemer
Re: GRIFFON 600 HOVERCRAFT BUILD
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 07:33:15 pm »

Jon have you tried slightly bending the pivot pin I have done this on the Sirius 600 it stops this from happening

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 07:35:18 pm »

ive made up some that are 1/2 inch longer , not had time to try them again yet . i was looking for some collets to lock them against the top plate . jon

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 07:38:30 pm »

Hi Triumphjon,
The pivot rods will have plastic sleeves on the bottom to stop that....this comes from many years flying aeroplanes.

As mentioned in the previous post, I'm altering the rudders and the way they are mounted, using 16swg brass tubing, for the top and bottom pivots, and 16swg pivot rods.
The picture shows this mod

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 10:29:29 am »

Another busy day building the Griffon 600, as can been seen in the picture, the rudders are nearly finished , the control rods pivot tubes  (16swg brass tube) have been wired and epoxied in place, just the control rods to add, and most of the hull has had a quick coat of paint

Hover Tim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 10:14:19 pm »

your model looks great well done I look forward to seeing it go, how have you fixed the motor mount down?

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 10:17:50 pm »

Hi Hover Tim,
I assume your refering to the base plate, this is 3mm lightply and has been epoxied in place, the alloy motor mount (this came with the kit) has been attached with PK screws.

regards
Mike

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 09:50:10 pm »

Have completed the cabin today, not much to say apart from the kit comes with clear plastic for the windows. I'm going to use black plasticard, may look the part...I hope. {:-{

Have given the hull several coats of Humbrol Acrlyic yellow, next is to spray the cabin, and fit the black windows.

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 08:59:08 pm »

Its been a busy weekend with the Griffon 600, and its getting close to completion, the hull has been painted the cockpit has been painted. The windows are from black plasticard. Finally the decals have been added.
I have tested the radio gear and all working fine.....the next job is to fit the skirt....

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 04:59:33 pm »

Time to fit the skirt, and the materials for attaching it...having read a few of the reviews in the modelling press, one article mentioned having trouble attaching the skirt, and it coming loose...and then stitching the skirt to the top of the hull to keep it attached, which seemed awful, and not very pretty.

After some research, and a visit to several DIY stores I can across this Mammoth Tape "Powerful Grip" double sided tape, claims to bond anything so here it goes, also need was some "Gaffer Tape" this is to act as a seal to the bottom of the skirt, both were expensive for what you are getting the double sided tape theres just enough...but its better than stitching.... {-)
The last item to buy was some "Rubbing Alcohol", this will be for removing any grease from the surface, on both the hull and the skirt were its attached.

Hover Tim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 05:13:37 pm »

have you added some thin ply to the under side of the decks this helps give the double sided tape something to stick to 

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 09:56:39 pm »

Hi,
Be very very carefull with the rubbing alcohol...the skirt material, if any thing like the material I get from palaform for my scratch built hovecraft models has a slight rubber content, to make it waterproof...........try some on a little area first where it wont show rather than begger up the skirt....

Regards sub.

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2013, 05:17:56 pm »

Hi HoverTim,
There is 1/8th Balsa under the deck, this comes with the kit, and is about 15mm wide from memory, also I gave it several coats of yacht varnish.

Hi Sub Driver
Did a test on a inner section of the skirt, but wasn't to sure so left the skirt, but the "Mammoth Tape" is the dogs dudars.. %%

Thanks for that
Mike

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2013, 07:34:31 pm »

The last job has been to fit the skirt, and the "Mammoth Tape" works. Fiitting the skirt is not an easy task... {:-{ ...but after several dry runs, I felt it "was now or never" cause the double sided tape really sticks..!!
The kit instructions are very clear regarding fitting the skirt and if you follow them you should not go wrong.
Picture shows the skirt attached, the gaffer tape acts as a seal to prevent water seeping under the joint. The grey blocks are from 3mm thick plastic and act as skids and skirt protector when the Giffon is run over hard surfaces.

Hover Tim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2013, 07:46:50 pm »

Looks great well done :-)) , Skirt fitting can take a few go's to get right I look forward to seeing it run

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2013, 10:03:42 pm »

A very nice build there.
Welcome to the fascinating world of hovercraft..you may find it is adictive and serious FUN.
There is nothing like a full speed power slide coming out of a turn...sheer poetry in motion..
Enjoy...
Regards sub.

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2013, 11:57:40 am »

Hi Sub,
Thanks for the comments....well powered the Griffon 600 up, and everything is working...the only thing I was not happy with was the battery area, which is between the 2 middle bulkheads, these being in Depron are not very safe, 7.2/9.6 volt battery is heavy and gets heavier when G-force comes into play.
So as you can see in the picture, the radio installation, I have removed 1 bulkhead, the lead weight is to get the C+G in the right place, and the battery is now in a light-ply box, and glued to the base of the hull.
Well just hoping the weather is kind on Sunday at the lake....... :-)

Hover Tim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2013, 05:55:57 pm »

its looking really good, when your hovering on the water you need a slight nose up trip this helps the model get over the hump :-))

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2013, 09:59:38 pm »

ive placed my rx as high up as possible on the rear bulkhead , ive used two four sub c cell nimh dead battery packs in the mid/ forward hull for ballast , the ballast is held in dividers and velcroed to the hull floor ! ive not yet been brave enough to try mine on water , but the local asda is litterally over the street from home , so good fun after five on sunday afternoons ! ! jon

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 09:57:17 pm »

Hi Guys
Thanks for the advice on the setup, not managed to get to the lake yet, was hoping to get to the lake on Sunday, but it looks like its Wednesday, and the weather is looking good, light winds and Sunshine... %% %%

If anything happens on Wednesday will post some action pics... :embarrassed:

Mike

georgo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 10:47:34 pm »

:-)) well built

Quote removed

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.