Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flower class corvette hull  (Read 9148 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Flower class corvette hull
« on: May 03, 2006, 08:43:44 pm »

After seeing ron h's superb Flower, Im seriously considering a smaller 1/48th scale version. I've noticed there seems to be 3 manufacturer's supplying hulls for the Flower corvette ie Fleetscale, Dave MacGregor sorry that should be Metcalfe Mouldings and Sirmar.

Has anyone got a preference for which hull is the best in terms of rigidity, scale appearance and finish etc?

TIA

ron h

Re: Flower class corvette hull
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 09:56:36 pm »

I am not really in to semi scratch, I like to build my own hulls, I know if I do it , it will be more or less right, but from what I have seen , Metcalfes and Sirmar are quite good, have not really seen Fleetscale.

The thing with a flower you can pick loads, and at different time scales, any one could build Bryony in 4 different camo,s, and that goes for most of them. ron h

Thanks for the comments.

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 11:00:58 pm »

I have seen the Fleetscale, Sirmar hull and Metcalf hull. On the whole I'd go for the Fleetscale or Sirmar, I have never heard or seen a bad hull from them and their sales support is very good. They both seem to sell the same range of hulls which I think come froma common source.

Hope this helps
Daryl

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 11:44:48 pm »

id rate the Fleetscale one as the finest hull ive ever bought !
in my own little world

chicoutimi

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 05:37:45 am »

Hi all,

When it comes to corvette hulls I'll give you my two cents worth....I have eighteen corvette hulls, some in 1/48, 1/72, 1/96.  I have piurchased them from Sirmar, Fleetscale, Deans Marine and Metcalf and the Revelle model and a few that I have made from scratch.  The best hulls on the market are from Sirmar and Fleetscale, no one else can touch the quality.  Sirmar makes some of the best fittings for their hulls.  Trust me, I have ordered plenty of fittings from them.  As far as Metcalf, buyer be ware, I ordered three hulls from him and I got a box full of garbage.  The hulls were paper thin, they looked like seconds or thirds, NOT first quality.  After I contacted them, I got no response, I guess being on the other side of the ocean has its dissadvantages.  BUt, like I said earlier, Sirmar has top quality corvette fittings and hulls.

Chicoutimi
Flower class corvettes

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 10:23:19 pm »

Best I've seen, Sirmar's, worst, Deans Marine.

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 09:54:29 pm »

Hi,

I've built HMCS Agassiz using the Fleetscale hull and Sirmar fittings. Together they make a fine model, just make sure you ballast it well.

ron h

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 11:47:00 pm »

looks very nice,

prinzeugen

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 12:10:11 pm »

I'm trying to make an S class sub from a Metcalf moulding,but if only the top would match the bottom (anywhere).The dive planes/rudders appear to come from three different types of subs.

I think you just live & learn.

I do believe they are old Darnell molds?
Subman

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 12:50:34 pm »

Yes I do think you are right they are old Darnell moulds, which from what I have heard are past their best.

Daryl

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 02:26:46 pm »

I'm trying to make an S class sub from a Metcalf moulding,but if only the top would match the bottom (anywhere).The dive planes/rudders appear to come from three different types of subs.

Subman

A friend bought a set of sub mouldings from Meltcalf, but they were such poor quality he sent everything back. Very thin and flimsy mouldings from moulds that had obviously been completely worn out for many years, also none of the parts fitted. I've only got his description to go on. I didn't see them for myself, but he worked in the full size boat industry for many years, so he knows what he's talking about where GRP mouldings are concerned. He also said he had a lot of trouble getting any response from Metcalf about returning them, he only ever got to talk to an answerphone, letters were ignored and e-mails either ignored or bounced back. Not good is it?
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 07:35:04 pm »

i was looking at a sub hull from Metcalf ages ago. changed my mind, they were crap.
grumpy old XXX

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 08:15:02 pm »

Subman

A friend bought a set of sub mouldings from Meltcalf, but they were such poor quality he sent everything back. Very thin and flimsy mouldings from moulds that had obviously been completely worn out for many years, also none of the parts fitted. I've only got his description to go on. I didn't see them for myself, but he worked in the full size boat industry for many years, so he knows what he's talking about where GRP mouldings are concerned. He also said he had a lot of trouble getting any response from Metcalf about returning them, he only ever got to talk to an answerphone, letters were ignored and e-mails either ignored or bounced back. Not good is it?

To be fair, Dave Metcalf is the first to admit that his Sub hulls are past their best, Unfortunately, if you want an S or a T, then he's your only hope, have look on the sub-prates site, there's a bloke on their build a Metcalf S. 

Metcalf P Class & Darnell T class:

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 10:28:15 pm »

Hi,

I've built HMCS Agassiz using the Fleetscale hull and Sirmar fittings. Together they make a fine model, just make sure you ballast it well.

That's another fine looking model. Think I may need to hone my skills on a few more kits to get something to look as good as your's and ron's!

BTW its great to see pics of other people's superb models here and just marvel at the craftsmanship!

chicoutimi

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 04:14:50 am »

Sure, let's give the guy a break, after all, he probably does make good hulls.  Only problem is, I would like to see one...  My money sure was good enough, and, it wasn't damaged!  Problem is, I'm on this side of the water and he's on that side.  But hey, if you make a mistake or have a bad product, okay... but, step up to the plate, answer emails, answer questions, be a man about it and act like you have a set!!!  Nothing more needs to be said.

Chicoutimi
Flower class corvettes

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 09:00:08 am »

A lot of people would like to give him a break...... bones comes to mind!

Everyone makes mistakes, its how you rectify them that makes customers return for more business. Some companies are far better than others when things go wrong.

Daryl

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 12:15:00 pm »

I've got 2 of Dave Metcalf's trawler hulls ( Edwina side trawler @ 1/50th and the Norina stern trawler @ 1/50th ) and they are both pretty good. I do think they are a bit thin tho so i'll be putting in strengthening ribs into both. The detail is a bit basic but nothing that can't be fixed without too many problems. I had my questions about the hulls answered fairly quickly by Email so I can't really complain guess I just got lucky lol.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.