Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Horrible but true...  (Read 3824 times)

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
Horrible but true...
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:16:53 pm »

I would just like to share this horrific incident that I am still struggling to come to terms with....

Thursday my new Blackberry Bold arrived... My old Blackberry was fine, but the two years was up so I got my upgrade.  I was going to put it straight up for sale but when I opened the box i got swayed by the shininess of it and decided to keep it. I put it in my shirt pocket and went out to carry on decorating my office/workshop. Anyway, I accidentally got paint on my shirt and rather than wipe it....I thought, I will chuck it straight in the washing machine.... half an hour later, whilst looking for my phone.... it dawned on me what I had done.

Surely there is an award for killing a phone this quickly  <:(

Lee

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Horrible but true...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:23:28 pm »

Yep, think it is..
I used to deal with the Mobile phones at work, One of the reps returned a phone to me saying that it was not working, fare enough does happen (more so with reps)  as she hands it to me she explains that she dropped it in the toilet, (I quickly put phone down) trying to keep a straight face, she then further explains that it had fallen into the toilet after it had dropped out of her bra!! (not going there).. Only to then ask if I would be able to recover the contacts !!! %% 

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 08:30:13 pm »

I'm not really that upset about not having the new phone... but I could have sold it and bought a boat kit!
Lee

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:30:45 pm »

Have a captain that can beat that Lash 151....

New ships smart phone .. in the box.. passed to him, he puts down on top of bollard and then picks up rope to move away from trip hazard =
thud plop were the sounds heard.. <:(

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 08:41:36 pm »

When I used to drive the sweeper, the boss gave us all these fancy phones with GPS and Mapping and all that junk installed. I used to carry mine in my left hand shirt pocket...so there I am, pottering up the A22 at 4mph, brushes down and quite happy in my little world. Now, quite often, a sweeper driver has to lean out of the window to make sure that brush is ok and the hoover is sucking properly (bear in mind that road sweepers are Left Hand Drive...ok?)

So, I lean out of the window, and something fell from my pocket, rattled along the kerb and shot up the hoover like a rat up a drainpipe. I heard it going through the fans as it was being chewed to smithereens in the body.

In the next couple of days the council arranged for the sweepers to have proper phones installed and hard wired through hands free kits....
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 09:52:07 pm »

Have a captain that can beat that Lash 151....

New ships smart phone .. in the box.. passed to him, he puts down on top of bollard and then picks up rope to move away from trip hazard =
thud plop were the sounds heard.. <:(

And that wasn't me either !!!!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 09:59:18 pm »

No where near as silly as putting my telephone in the washing machine.... :o  ...but I have been guilty many times of washing USB zip drives  <*< which prompted me to check their IP rating as below & they must be  IP67 or IP68 as 30 minutes of a warm water wash cycle cannot kill them.........Derek

7Immersion up to 1 mIngress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).Test duration: 30 minutes
Immersion at depth of at least 1 m measured at bottom of device, and at least 15 cm measured at top of device8Immersion beyond 1 mThe equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. Normally, this will mean that the equipment is hermetically sealed. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects.Test duration: continuous immersion in water
Depth specified by manufacturer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 10:13:57 pm »

and my wife thinks I've got dimentia {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

you lot are streets ahead of me %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %%

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 10:50:35 pm »

Yes, I have laundered what was a perfectly good phone that flipped open like something from Star Trek.  It didn't survive.  The sim, however, still worked when inserted in a really cheap Samsung.
In the elder days of yore, the firm decided that it was a good green idea to replace perfectly good paper time sheets with barely usable Psion organisers that took much longer to book time with at vastly reduced accuracy, and whose instruction books used a years worth of the paper that old time time sheets would have used in instruction book updates every three months.  They were impossible to strangle, but could be kicked to death.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 12:50:21 am »

If you paid for insurance you'll be okay...

However, I had an old cell phone that I soaked in the pond when I stepped in to
straighten a channel marker that one of the boats had knocked all wonky.
As I reached the markers, I realized my phone was in my back pocket.

I immediately removed the battery and left the phone in a sunny spot to dry,
but it took about a week for it to dry out, and work properly.
One of the things I did, was drop it in a large bowl and cover it in uncooked rice.
Rice absorbs moisture.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 09:55:01 am »

I had a nice new Nokia E63 a few years ago, unpacked, charged, activated. Off I went to go boating in Birkenhead docks, leaned over the back of the Viking to ship the rudder, plop, guess what was in my shirt pocket. I like to think that the eels are still enjoying the use of my new phone......
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 10:59:30 am »

Most of todays "Solid state" electronics will survive water immersion and drying out. Had to do this thirty years ago on a Hi-Fi system that "Aquired" internally a layer of soot. As Umi stated, battery out first, wash in clean water and then shake off all that can be displaced and bung it in a warm enviroment.
 What won't survive are printed foil keyboards (seems that the silk screened inks are water/coffeee/ orange juice soluble, DAMHIK). Motors and fans may need a squish of lube, NOT WD40.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 11:39:43 am »

If you paid for insurance you'll be okay...

However, I had an old cell phone that I soaked in the pond when I stepped in to
straighten a channel marker that one of the boats had knocked all wonky.
As I reached the markers, I realized my phone was in my back pocket.

I immediately removed the battery and left the phone in a sunny spot to dry,
but it took about a week for it to dry out, and work properly.
One of the things I did, was drop it in a large bowl and cover it in uncooked rice.
Rice absorbs moisture.

Nice idea... except the screen was smashed as well....spin cycle.

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 02:53:18 pm »

having spent a year or so delivering for orange ive seen the remains of most "accidents " that moblie phones have , its suprising just how many get exchanged every day ! jon

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 02:53:32 pm »

Dropped my old Nokia into a lake while Carp fishing. It then lit up as someone rang just as I got the best bite of the day. That phone just kept working even without any drying out. Doubt my iPhone would match that.

Dave

catengineman

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 03:07:49 pm »

And that wasn't me either !!!!

Agree I had to explain to the BOSS (a Yorkshire man) where his nice new (unused) phone complete with sim was!
Err not exactly lost ! I know where it is given tidal drift (up river) though that did not quell his temper, just can't understand some people... :((

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 03:42:14 pm »

A niece has just pestered my sister for a £500 samsung phone ... is it an Gallaxy S3? for christmas. Everyone said a £500 phone for a teen is just bad news waiting to happen and my sister took some wearing down.

On new years day, the nieces story story about the cracked screen was that she was at a party and it was left on a table around midnight with the vibration ring on and with all the people ringing, it's motored off the table onto the floor.

It's a £200 repair for the screen.*

I once picked up my brand new car, turned out the showroom driveway and within 30yds had someone pull out on me from a T junction.

sean Half-pint works

• Full Mayhemer
  • Because I can!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 11:23:40 pm »

Because I am a renown for having mishaps with my phones I usually go for a cheap handset, and have at least two spares! One day I was working on our roof, and my main handset took a nose dive, and got ran over (well what was left of it) by my did coming home... the SIM was OK though... so I popped it in handset number two just before lunch... after lunch I went off Horse riding, tacking up the horse he turned round and kicked me, and you guessed it, my second handset of the day took the rap! so get home and pull out my last reserve hand set... pop it in the shirt pocket, and off I go again, after a few hours gardening in the evening, I go have a shower, and a quirk of our house is we have the laundry basket at the bottom of the stairs, so i throw my shirt ect down the stairs, and smack into the wall and into the washing... by the time i Had put 2+2 together the load was in... and you guessed, the third handset of the day had died... along with my sim... sorry for the lengthy message!

Sean
Semper fidelis

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 10:42:51 am »

A niece has just pestered my sister for a £500 samsung phone ... is it an Gallaxy S3? for christmas. Everyone said a £500 phone for a teen is just bad news waiting to happen and my sister took some wearing down.

On new years day, the nieces story story about the cracked screen was that she was at a party and it was left on a table around midnight with the vibration ring on and with all the people ringing, it's motored off the table onto the floor.

It's a £200 repair for the screen.*

I once picked up my brand new car, turned out the showroom driveway and within 30yds had someone pull out on me from a T junction.
If these things"cost" 500 quid when new, how come the Phone Companies give you a new one after 2 years?

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 10:45:10 am »

Once is an Accident, twice is Coincidence, third time is.....

sean Half-pint works

• Full Mayhemer
  • Because I can!
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 10:46:15 am »

Third is a bad day at the office  ;D
Semper fidelis

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 03:43:07 pm »

If these things"cost" 500 quid when new, how come the Phone Companies give you a new one after 2 years?

Well it didn't cost them 500, probably about 300, and if you were on a 30 a month contract they'll have taken 720 off you. You may have cost them 200 in network use which leaves them about 200 profit.

It's nearly always cheaper to buy your own phone and a SIM only from your preferred carrier.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 05:24:20 pm »

A year ago I was cleaning the glue tank out on the perfect binder at work. After 2 hours of scraping cleaning refilling and emptying the glue which was at 120 degrees I moved the full glue box with the waste glue in it. Plop. Look down to see my galaxy ace slowly sinking into congealed hot glue. In goes the hand, flash went Lee's camera, out comes the hand and phone covered in glue. Then the swearing started, Lee wet himself laughing at me hopping around in pain. 4 hours in a and e having my hand peeled!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 05:55:56 pm »

Yeah, but did the phone survive?! 
   %)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 06:11:01 pm »

And where is the photo?
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.