Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Ken's AZIZ, 'Red Pelican'.  (Read 33464 times)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Ken's AZIZ, 'Red Pelican'.
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »

I did notice when the original sinking took place there where no Life boats rushing to save the crew ...

Peter

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2007, 04:02:44 pm »

No but Kenny was praying for the crew by name ............receiver,servo,speed controller and so on :laugh: 
                                                                                                Cheers
                                                                                                   Bobb (nice to have met you by the way Peter
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2007, 07:25:37 pm »

Wonderful    O0

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I enjoyed them all.  Some beautiful artistic licence representations at times.

I don't anywhere now without my Escape Pod .   ;D

The movie comes out soon .......  and it will be free to watch.   8)

Thanks for your support and advice    ...............   Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2007, 07:26:41 pm »

The POD

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2008, 08:05:05 pm »

Change of design ....................

What with the Wickstead "Do" coming up and a sail promised, I looked at Red Pelican again.

I thought the new deck was sitting rather high and spoilt 'Laurie's' design, so I took it all apart, and decided to do it again.

I have removed all the electronics and ripped the rear deck apart. The idea now is to fit the computer control module I've made for the other boat. ( Three speed controllers. One receiver. four fuses. One five volt regulator. Inputs for 12 volts and 6 volts, all in one box, type job). This means of course, that I can only 'rig' one boat at a time now.

Taking the rear deck apart was hair raising as the epoxy was solid. I have cleaned all the edges and removed the modified brackets.

The idea now is to secure the whole deck and have an access hole in the centre and cover it with the hollowed out container boxes. These will be fitted around a new raised edge and will be water tight to two fathoms.  (anything to save buying waders !!)

I shall continue tommorrow, as the cold weather cut short my day. Photos to follow.

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2008, 08:06:03 pm »

Here is the modified design. 

I have used hollowed out containers from Model Slipway, which have been glued together, side on. These now slip over the raised edge of the centre hole, which is at least an inch high. Should take some flooding with gusto.  8)

I have changed the deck colour to mid brown, as the green was a bit too much all over the decks.

I ripped off the funnel decals as the painting was a bit runny, and resprayed them before replacing, on a re whitened funnel stack.  (got a bit dirty during her baptism of wetness !!). All the little parts which broke off, have now been replaced and I await a new imitation 'planked' deck to complete the look.

Had a very busy day today, so relaxing with the 'ol wine'  (I'm finding the web pages a bit stroppy tonight. Is it me ?)

Ken

banjo

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2008, 08:20:08 pm »

Looks handsome..

Do you think those containers would have been secured to "elephants feet" or something?
You could model lashings to secure them and the hole and doubly make sure the H2O stayed on the outside>>>

;)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2008, 08:23:46 pm »

Looks quite effective Ken. Is the "container" hatch cover latched down - you don't want it floating off! A quick and dirty way is to drill a small hole or two through the base of the container cover and the hatch coaming and then fit horizontal pins (e.g brass panel pins) to stop it lifting. Just pull them out when you want to take the cover off.

Yes, the Forum is a bit slow tonight - it was yesterday too...

banjo

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2008, 08:25:57 pm »

Snap
Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2008, 08:32:24 pm »

Well spotted Colin.

Hoping to secure down somehow. I like the lashings idea but this won't be the actual fixing, just the look.

Should I fit expanded foam inside, then at least I'll save something from the pond ?   {-)

Ken

banjo

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2008, 08:35:12 pm »

Some chain and bottle screws from the yachty world would simulate lashings perfectly..

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2008, 08:38:25 pm »

Great idea

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2008, 08:42:07 pm »

As long as the cover is fairly close fitting the coaming should keep the water out to most intents and purposes but you do need to latch it down. As a belt and braces option you could put some cling film across the hatch opening. Foam is a last resort, the idea is to keep the wet stuff out rather than keep the boat afloat after it has got in and drenched the R/C gear, motors and batteries etc. In fact, looking at it again, could you make a flat plastic card or plywood cover that just fits on top of the coaming with a bit of rubber or something to form a a seal. This could then be screwed down onto wooden supports fitted inside the hatch. The containers would then just fit over the top. That would be easy to do and make it pretty well watertight.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2008, 11:13:37 pm »

hatch hidden by containers, nice idea!  piece of advice, use a laccy band around two epoxied fixings to hold it down.

also DONT TRY HIGH SPEED TURNS, thats what caused the rear end to dip last time and down ye went
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2008, 05:05:58 pm »

Thanks guys.   O0

Latest 'mod' will be perspex glued to the insides of the drain holes and across the entrance way, mid ships.   8)

Been busy painting the glue joints today and it looks great. Have to get her ready for the Bridgend show (April 5th) as our club is going, and I'm on the stand for two days. Might take all three boats.   ::)

ken

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2008, 06:02:26 pm »

the rear hatch of Nord Icelandia is held down by a lip under the front, and a pair of screws at the rear. 
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

bigford

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2008, 02:24:48 pm »

kenny

some how i missed the refitting  she looks VERY nice!!
100% nicer now that the rear deck is back to it's proper hight O0
 the sea box's are also a very neat trick

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

Yes, she looks more proper, as they say. I'm still thinking about securing the boxes. I've been sidetracked by other boats, and house decorating. ugh !!  gotta keep her happy.

Ken

Stavros

« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2008, 05:19:57 pm »

Topic cleaned up By Admin

Stavros

Hansen

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2008, 04:28:25 pm »

I have finished Arif too,it is excellent working tug,BUT I had also a lot of problems with water in the hull. A LOT of water. First, I was thinking, it is picking up water by electric pump for monitors, but after first experience i plugged pump and water was still there.Around 2 quarts.And she picking up water very fast.I was lucky , all electronic was high, so it was dry. After removing large working deck,installed on double site tape, I find out water in deck construction. So this way water comming in.Problem is, working deck is very low, so I installed inside the hull new frame,just under existing deck. With large cover, installed on silicone. In one corner is drain pipe going out of hull, so area stays with out water.And this works.My next step was sealing all details going throe rear deck from inside.Again silicone is great seal for it. since this, I never had potential submarine with name Arif, it is good tug and very powerfull with two Speed 700 motors.SO I saved my investment of money and time to this tug just with additional waterproof cover under working deck. Sometimes is good idea think  before, what will happend on maiden voyage

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2008, 10:33:18 am »

Sorry to hear about your leaks. Am I right in thinking that you have not sailed her yet and these are stationary tests in water?

Sealing around the rear deck is vital, as this is quite low to the water. Mine is sealed to the hull , and is quite watertight. My problem was, the hatch cover was not screwed down and water came in the centre access hole. I now have a ridge around this hatch, so water can flow around the deck and escape over the sides.

Another route for the water could be the rear of the cabin under the funnels. There is another raised section here to allow the cabin to be lifted. Have enough height on the ridge around the deck, here?

You mention sticky tape. Surely not around the water sections.

Two quarts of water (half a gallon!!) of water pured in. This sounds horrendous. Is the hull cracked?

Any chance you could post some pictures please?

All the best

ken

Hansen

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2008, 11:48:53 am »

I am out of home, I will put here some pictures on end of the week. After half submarine  experience with name AZIZ , hull did not cracked.I am surprise, because polyester resin is not good choice for boat hulls.Resin is NOT waterproof.For this reason from outside is gelcoat. But since tug boat is not diving anymore, everything goes Ok.

bigford

« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2008, 12:12:54 am »

hey kenny here is a ebay # for small turnbuckles 380002888925
the guy's name is wingertaz. i was thinking you might be able to use these to
chain down your sea containers  on the aft deck O0

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2008, 07:32:20 pm »

Thanks for that. I've been over to check them out. I emailed Wingertaz, but his mail box is full and it came back.

I wanted to know how they secured to their relevant sections. ie: how do you attach the 1st bit to the deck and then the 2nd bit to the lid.  Anyone have any drawings, or can suggest the way please.

I did come up with a sealed Nut in the deck and a threaded screw down the side of the box through a fixed washer.  (sounds worst than it is)  (which, of course, is what you've suggested)

Cheers...Ken

dms toucan

« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2008, 07:56:30 pm »

Try west bank models blackpool he has a big selection of turnbuckles I think he also sells on Ebay
Martin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.