Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Ken's AZIZ, 'Red Pelican'.  (Read 33485 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Ken's AZIZ, 'Red Pelican'.
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2007, 07:39:26 pm »

Stavros, I hope you are not hurt  ;)  Has my memory gone that bad, who was it that lost a lovely model in a great lake to the great depths, never to be found again. ;D ;D

With you around my friend the monsters from the deep might come and snatch TugboatKenny's model  ;D ;D

aye
John e
Bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

kendalboatsman

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2007, 10:05:47 am »

Hi Ken,

It's a bit late for the Red Pelican but for future builds you could put all the electronics in airtight plastic containers and that would a, protect them and b, add a bit of positive buoyancy. I have a collection of plastic electrical waterproof boxes I purchased to use on future builds and I intend to do that for my TID tug. Sadly the HDML I have is too small for me to do that with so I will pack it with foam.

I had a HFM 590 Yacht sink and someone else rammed and sunk my Sesqui fast electric so I learned my lesson there. ;D

Here is a photo of some of the boxes with a 2ch receiver and my HDML Hull for comparison. The rule is 12" and the background hull is the TID tug.

Clive

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2007, 10:27:54 am »

Try "Look and Lock" food containers - they have a lid that is held on by 4 clamps. Pop the clamps and the lid just pops off. Sealing is airtight because of a rubber gasket.

You can get them from Lakeland plastics, or do a searh in the net

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2007, 11:15:13 am »

Just an idea,

in my fast electric boats (c.clee victory bat boat) i have used polystyrene blocks in the bow and either side of the motors with a big block stuck to the inside of the lid.

just in case it does eventually decide to turn turtle there is always the bonus that it SHOULD ??? stay afloat long enough for recovery.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2007, 02:10:26 pm »

I try and cram in as much bubblewrap as I can!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2007, 04:31:58 pm »

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

When I modify her, I will show you the results.

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2007, 11:51:30 pm »

Bluebird the penny has finally dropped I could not work out what you meant YOU ARE FORGIVEN  ;) :D :)

titoneri

• Shipmate
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2007, 12:52:22 pm »

I have to say after reading all the goings on about the sinking it has to be said that I have built 2 of model Slipways Aziz and if ballasted correctly that is well balanced down the centre line with all the weight low down plus making sure the removable deck is sealed down it rides the water wonderfully rough or calm waters even in a tight turn it only leans over with about 8mm of under waterline showing. The same goes for my Vielstroom. At the last get together friends and myself had a total of 7 Aziz on the water at the same time and we all followed the same manufactures instructions with no sinking no shipping of water and very similar internal setups and no water inside the hull whatsoever.

The other point I think should be clear it must be down to the individual who has total control of build and placement of ballast not a fault with the product (Model Slipway).

Was the deck sealed, is it watertight from deck downwards and ballasted correctly more importantly making sure the ballast cannot move about. Come on let the cat out the bag and be honest tell us. I have never had problems building and sailing Slipway Models.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2007, 02:21:21 pm »

Hi titoneri

You are correct.  I put my hand up to admit I did not latch the deck down.

I placed her on the water and switched on the electronics and must have been distracted. I just placed the deck on top and sent her on her way.

You can see the deck floating with her cargo of air tight boxes in the first picture on report number 29  (page 1)

I also can't speak too highly of Model slipway, and am enjoying building their models, to the 'spec'  with proper ballasting and ensuring the fittings are all secure.

I plan to sail her through a waterfall next, just to test the ultimate unsinkability. Hope to have pictures of the event.  ;D

Cheers...Ken

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2007, 11:41:22 pm »

I understand from Model Slipway that one customer has cancelled his order for an Aziz kit on the basis that he "doesn't want a model that sinks". For once I'm at a loss for anything else to say.

FLJ

titoneri

• Shipmate
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2007, 09:32:50 am »

Well Kenny

I will speak very highly of model slipway they dot the eyes and cross the Ts and have never had any problems.

It is very sad that a quality company such as Model Slipway have lost a purchase due to one incident not the fault of the product what so ever. I for one always looks forward to building there kits.

I strongly advise the purchaser to reconsider the Aziz like all the others in the range it is a sound kit to buy, build and enjoy and think who else produce a oil rig supply ship with all the quality detail, plans and instructions at such a good price.

Solid quality british products are hard to come by.

knock yourself not the manufacturer who is certainly not to blame.

kendalboatsman

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2007, 10:50:45 am »

I understand from Model Slipway that one customer has cancelled his order for an Aziz kit on the basis that he "doesn't want a model that sinks". For once I'm at a loss for anything else to say.

FLJ

Model Slipway are my preferred kit supplier and I just bought a FSB Tenby off them, prior to that I had a Conserver kit which I had built to deck level.before the project got shelved and eventually sold on due to no building space.

If that customer cancelled an order for Aziz for that reason should they even be building any model boats ??? ??? They can all sink at some point be it user error ;D or damage inflicted by other pool users. Incredible ;D ;D

Clive :)

spoons

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2007, 03:59:46 am »

Hi kenny!
Sorry to hear about your scuba trip with the aziz, she is a mighty fine vessel at least it was in shallow waters that she went down im sure you would of been gutted if any mayjor damage had occured. keep up the good building work and i look forward to seeing your next build.
stu

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2007, 08:48:35 am »

After just having lost a boat to sinking  >:( >:( >:(

To cancel an order for a model boat because of someone elses sinking is somewhat akin to cancelling an order for a model plane because someoneelse crashed theirs - or cancelling the new car because you saw someone else back theirs into a bollard.

The low stern on the Aziz does make it important to ensure the hatch is down firmly and to watch the speed (otherwise the wash breaks over onto the aft deck), but this is very much the nature of the beast.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2007, 11:05:50 am »

Hi Everyone

Aziz is rebuilt.

As I mentioned earlier, it was my fault entirely.

Reading through your letters, it occurred to me that my turn of English confused some people. When I said " I can't speak too highly of Model Slipway"  it means the the 'Highest praise ' possible. They do indeed make the best models around, and I am on  'Boat number two'  at the moment.

I am really sorry that gentleman decided against a boat on the grounds that they sink.  No harm happens when they do as they are designed for the water anyway.  I agree with Wombat's statement. It does put it in to perspective, and urge him to reconsider. They are interesting and time consuming to construct, and the pride of sailing them is to behold.  (especially when you win medals !!)

We had a little 'Sail'  away from prying eyes, and she looked gorgeous. I would have filmed her but the camera isn't well.   ;D

Cheers...ken

chingdevil

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2007, 12:47:32 pm »

Hi Ken

Glad to hear the Red Pelican is back in the water with no harm done after its wash at the Mayhem Weekend, you were really proud of the boat and the susequent medal keep up the good word. Will we see some pictures of the new build???

The other Brian

spoons

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2007, 11:56:56 pm »

On the upside at least the inside has had a good clean out.
stu

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2007, 08:40:47 pm »

OK ...............  we are back in business.    ;)

I have modified the rear deck to prevent water ingress.  This was done by fitting a raised edge around the rear deck with angle plastic  (from B&Q). The internal structure braces were raised to allow the new section to sit flat across and form a rigid base. Note the concrete block doing the job overnight.   ;D

The removable green deck with the fittings was fitted with the matching angle plastic to sit over the raised deck. The whole lot was Epoxied with a slow cure epoxy mix. (the commercial stuff, real boats are made with)

This was allowed two days to dry and then was painted green to match up nice with the boat.

When I do the waterfall test, I will know if I require an insulating pad around the internal rim or not.

Here are a few pictures of the modification.

Cheers...Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2007, 08:42:22 pm »

The finished result  ...........................

Will it float ? ? ?

Ken

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2007, 10:47:52 pm »

any model boat will sink if not careful, and any model plane will crash, to simply not purchase one because it MAY sink, well thats crazy!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

TorViking

• Shipmate
  • The Tug Man
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2007, 11:16:32 pm »

Sorry guys just gotta say there is no such thing as a bath test! It's a domestic test tank.
I thank you
Andy ;D

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2007, 11:31:09 pm »

Well everyone ..... it floats to the line.  (as they say )

I'm just sorry i had to deviate from the drawings slightly. I am looking for a waterfall to test it through.  8)

Not really. She's sitting on the shelf watching the progress of Vliestroom and the new Springer tug. yes, I've got rid of the speedy built deck house and gone for scratch build plastic.  It's great fun designing your own, cause you don't know when you've made a mistake.   :D

Cheers...Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2007, 08:56:44 pm »

Took her out today to the Cwmbran Modellers Open Day.    O0

All went well.  Sent her out to the middle and maneuvered all over the place. Wonderful boat. I highly recommend the model to anyone considering making her.   O0 O0

I took a few shots as per below and also a movie which will be added to one I am making for  U-Tube. This consists of all the stills, and includes later movies of the build, finalising with today's sail past.    8)

Todays little  run will be the climax and end of the build.  I'll let you know when it's up and running.

Cheers...Ken

So good I printed it twice .....  Sorry about that ....Ken

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2007, 01:51:34 pm »

Something wrong Kenny.....  ???

Ah I recogniser now!  O0

You're never going to live that down are you?!?!?  ;)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2007, 02:47:52 pm »

New Sound module fitted????

DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!
True Lifeboat Nutter!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.