Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Action P100  (Read 4264 times)

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Action P100
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:11:17 pm »

Hi all,

Hope someone can help  :((  I have moved one of my P100 sound units from one boat to another, only difference is the new boat is running on brushless, the unit starts up on its own and then just "burbles", it wont respond to any throttle control, i have set up the same with a P101 amplifier?  Anyone any ideas? Cant get hold of Action as they are on holiday...

Thanks

Russ

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Action P100
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:26:10 pm »

Hi Russ

I had 'Memory' problems with my P100 in the early days and spent a lot of time going through the system working it all out. I was wiping out the memory more times than I care to mention.  (It is possible to wipe the sound memories in an instant with spurious sparks from the boat and sundry appliances).

Here are some tests that I have come up with might help you. 

1,   Refit it back in the known working situation and see if all the sounds are there. If they have gone then it's back to the computer to reload.

2,   After reloading all the sounds and testing its OK then refit it on your brushless boat BUT on a channel of it's own. Just run the sound unit without the motors engaging first.

3,  Then try the motors when the sound unit is running.  If it fails, then you have spurious interference and that will need suppressing, either at the motor source or the amplifier input stage.

I run mine on an independent power supply and it's own dedicated channel with suppression on the amp input and output leads as I was loosing the memories at the blink of an eye. I do not have the P101  amp as I am using my own design.  The whole sound memory set up is now saved on a single disk to speed up reloading procedures if I should ever need to re do it again.

Let us know how it goes

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

PMK

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 05:54:42 pm »

Ken, take a bow for offering a likely solution to the problem. Also, if I can hijack 6705's thread for a moment, your own design amplifier sounds somewhat intriguing. Any chance of a peek at your ckt diagram, or maybe even a photo?
That's if I'm not being nosy, of course.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 06:41:31 pm »

With my Action P100. i use the 18w N66 aw amp from Maplins at £9.99. Not full output on 12v but more than enougth will also need
pot for volume control John.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 06:55:25 pm »

Hi there Russ,

Last but not least, are you using a BEC in your setup?   Cos this could be causing a problem.   Or, are your RX batteries fully charged because the sound module (P100) takes its power supply through the receiver.

Give that a try.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:09:36 pm »

Thanks guys,
I will try Kenny,s idea of trying it on its own channel.
Bluebird, the unit is taking it's power from the bec on the brushless speed controller, what I have noticed is the difference on two of my u it's with the receiver leads, as they come out of the circuit board they are positioned one above the other, on unit the upper lead goes to the speed controller, on the unit this is reversed?

Thanks

Russ

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:10:49 am »

Ken, take a bow for offering a likely solution to the problem. Also, if I can hijack 6705's thread for a moment, your own design amplifier sounds somewhat intriguing. Any chance of a peek at your ckt diagram, or maybe even a photo?
That's if I'm not being nosy, of course.

Hi everyone that replied,

This has indeed opened a "can of worms".  First of all, John S has mentioned the Maplin's amplifier modules. I went this route first with their Higher Wattage version amp and had severe buzzing. This was traced to the output to the speaker being between positive voltage and signal, rather than the conventional earth and signal !!.  This necessitated the isolation of the supply earth connections as there was an earth loop hum created.

After days of work and thought, I scrapped this method and cut out the amplifier circuit board from a scrapped Yamaha keyboard (my old trade) and wired this into the boat.  (see picture below)

The Action power supply board was then cut to isolate the supply voltages from each other and supplied with separate battery connections.  (see second picture ).  The third battery is to give me a choice of 18 volts to the motors for surfing.

Bluebird is right on the nose with the BEC suggestion as this connection contains the linking earth wire which causes all the problems.

It is truly a maze of problems when you mix analogue and digital circuits with electric motors all in the close proximity of a boat. I really do not know the best way to achieve what you are after Russ as the addition of 'sparky high speed motors' only confuses the mix.

Try the isolation route and please let us all know.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 11:58:20 am »

Hi Ken

Well i connected the P100 direct to the receiver and using a seperate 4.8v battery supply, again on power up the unit kicks straight in, now i was wondering if it was that i had put a Turbine running sound on, i will try later with a start, run and stop sound file ?
The unit connects fine with the pc and will let me erase and install new sound file. I also noticed that when the unit started up it will only increase when the throttle stick is put into reverse?

Thanks for the help

Russ

ACTion

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 12:16:30 pm »

PM sent.
DM

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 11:10:39 pm »

Hi Ken,

Gosh all that stuff that came from my diseased imagination in you boat.........you are a brave man {-)  ;D

6705Russell - does the problem wipe out the memory or if you diconnect the power does it recover - try testing it on the PC

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Ryanb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 10:34:17 pm »

Hi Chaps,

I have just been reading with interest as i have spent the last 5 hours trying to get the engine sound to run with the throtel through the P94.

At present when the P100 is connected to the P94 (correctly as i have checked 1000 times) it just starts automatically with no throttle command and burbles away on idle and dose not increase with any direction applied and does not shut down after 90 seconds.

I have tried to connect the P100 to a separate channel and it works as it should.

I am truly at a loss so any advice would be appreciated.

(also I am using a servo extension lead, not sure if this would cause any issues. I dose not on a separate channel)

Cheers Ryan

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 10:57:55 pm »

Best to ask the component shop as they now market these products. John.

inertia

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 08:47:50 am »

Ryan
PM sent
DM

Ryanb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 08:53:27 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.