Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutty Sark Fire  (Read 11562 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cutty Sark Fire
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 01:29:35 pm »

I would agree with Bunkerbarge. However I think it is a matter of horses for courses to some extent. Wheelchair access to "modern" small warships is never going to be practical as the basic design of the ship precludes it. In this case a "virtual" electronic tour may go some way to filling the gap. On the other hand, the attraction of the Cutty Sark lies in its external appearance to conjure up the spirit of the windjammer age. If you restored her fully to her original appearance below then you'd just have some pokey accommodation up forward, some slightly less pokey accommodation aft with the vast expanse in between filled with tea bags! I don't see whay they shouldn't take a few liberties with the inside if that helps support the ship and doesn't unduly mar her external appearance.

Victory is still a ship in commission and there may be somebody working behind those perspex screens - it rains a lot in Portsmouth. Warrior is largely glass fibre these days but she still has the power to thrill so I wouldn't criticise her on that score.

Most preserved ships have to pay their way as there is little interest in putting public money into them. Unless the circunstances are particularly dire, politicians are only interested in votes and preserving ships, however deserving, will always come way down the list.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 01:38:55 pm »

I think another point worth remembering is that these ships were built for a purpose, be it carry tea across the world or fight an enemy. 

Nowadays that purpose has changed and thier role in life is to portray to the public something of our maritime heritage and try to show what life was like in those conditions at the time.  Why would we therefore want to preserve them exactly as they were built when thier purpose has completely changed?

We should do whatever we can to get as much of the word out there as possible and keeping them exactly as built would not allow that.

I am also well aware of what the Cutty Sark trust intend doing and I wish them all the very best with thier venture.  It was only a couple of short years ago that the very future of this ship was in doubt and we came close to none of us ever enjoying seeing her again so I am very happy to see it used in this way.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 02:15:51 pm »

As I said, it's my opinion, but if the choice is between cutting a hole in the side of, say, HMS Gannet, or telling Richard he can't go below - well, that's a hard one to answer.

Rick

Cheers mate ::)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 04:53:46 pm »

Dear All,

What interesting posts. Everybody has been saddened by what seems to be a mindless act of vandalism, but things could have been far worse after all - the vessel could have been 70% or 80% rebuilt, and this doesn't bear thinking about. This event unfortunately proves that the vessel now needs a Night Watchman - permanently.

I write to propose something for your consideration. If 100 Mayhem'ers were to write cheques for £10, the £1000 raised would buy a small but nice amount of materials. If these 100 cheques were to be made out to the Cutty Sark Trust and sent to Martin, he could send them all on as a single donation in the name of ModelBoatMayhem - I will of course participate so there are only 99 to find now!!! Out of 1000 members (I believe I'm right in saying this?), maybe we can persuade 10% of the membership to participate? Would be excellent if more might take part, but 100 x £10 would be a nice donation for the Cutty Sark funds.

Just an idea.

Regards, Bernard2

p.s. No, I don't have any connection with Cutty Sark, just thought it would be nice to do something that's all.

PSSHIPS

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 09:27:02 pm »

I need some charcoal for my BBQ, any ideas where I may find some?

After looking at these posts, what happened with you guys when the Plymouth, Bronnington and Onyx were axed, there was no mention of raising any kind of money from anyone. There was a petiton that went to number 10 and is still doing the rounds there as far as I know.

I would wonder to myself, what if? Warrior or Victory had an accident something similar to the Cutty Sark, would the government do something then????

I doubt it, they don't care about anything but themselves right now and getting more money out of the population seems to be the way things are going in this dictatorship (free??) country???????????? We live in?

The wheels have come off.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2007, 10:37:24 pm »

I I would wonder to myself, what if? Warrior or Victory had an accident something similar to the Cutty Sark, would the government do something then????

I doubt it, they don't care about anything but themselves right now and getting more money out of the population seems to be the way things are going in this dictatorship (free??) country???????????? We live in?
IF govenments do nothing, how come the Victory is there now?

PSSHIPS

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2007, 10:45:27 pm »

Hi "funny franky" take a look at where the Victory's funding comes from and a look at it's location.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2007, 11:07:49 pm »

You probably know better than me but I thought it was a Navy ship...Ministry of defence....I always thought that every penny of the tax I pay goes to the Victory................ ;)

slewis

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2007, 11:08:06 pm »

Reading this thread I have to voice an opinion and please bear in mind its mine and no ofence is intended to anyone .
regarding cutting holes into historical items (I use the word items as this is not just for ships) I cannot for the life of me condone doing this as it is destroying or defacing the original item which surely we are fighting to keep original ?!?!
I KNOW and APPRECIATE that the disabled would love access to the many items on display throughout the country but face it  If you want to preserve many of them its just not possible.
I believe this is the same on the CS (never been there) but I did do the ss GT Britain in my school years and disabled access at the time was a high level walkway (of sorts ) . I still have a bit of it in my loft BTW  ;

Sorry if this upsets anyone  :-\

shane

Edited by Shane in the interests of everyone .

Pointy

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2007, 11:25:57 pm »

I went to see HMS Cavalier a few years back, a great experience but dissappointed that the engine room of what was once "the fastest ship in the Navy" is off limits to visitors on "Health and Safety" grounds. When I talked about it to one of the guides he said they were considering making parts of the upper deck transparant so visitors could see in from above. Seems a bit extreme to me- I'd rather not see the engine room at all than see the decks have holes in them like that.

If you really want to get mad about the destruction of our maritime heritage (don't even get me started on HMS Warspite) check out this website-
http://hmsbd.free.fr/implacable/implacable.htm
Can anyone tell me what the hell happend there?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2007, 11:57:45 pm »

I guess my point is that the disabled in this country cannot and should not expect or demand access to everywhere    or is this political correctness gone mad ?

Sorry if this upsets anyone 

shane

You have to be joking. What on earth would make you think you are upsetting anyone. I don't know about the other disabled on the forum but I am livid.
You would presumably like us all shut up and out of the way so we don't bother you. Just remember mate you too could be like me in a few years, I haven't always been like this. We pay our taxes same as you and probably do more for charities than you do. We are not asking you to destroy your precious ships, we just want a few alterations made so that we can enjoy them too. Obviously there are certain ships that cannot be altered, such as the Victory, because of their construction, and we wouldn't expect it.
I might be disabled but I am your equal in every other way so I expect to be treated equally and with respect.
You would do well to remember that it was only 70 years ago that a certain gent in Germany decided to be selective on health and religious grounds.

Richard [Human being]

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2007, 12:13:30 am »

Sorry but I happen to agree with shane, People are afraid to speak because of people hidding behind political correctness, small business and shops are having to close  because people will not give an inch over access. yes make changes if they can be made but do not distroy heritage for the sake of political correctness.

Peter

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2007, 12:31:53 am »

Sorry but I happen to agree with shane, People are afraid to speak because of people hidding behind political correctness, small business and shops are having to close  because people will not give an inch over access. yes make changes if they can be made but do not distroy heritage for the sake of political correctness.

Peter
It might be political correctness to you old son but to me its a way of life and I dont hide behind it I live with it every day putting up with intollerance from bigots.
Just remember it could be you one day then you can talk PC and know what you're talking about.

Richard

MCR

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2007, 01:00:58 am »

I'm sorry Dicky but I to feel that it is short sighted and wrong to distroy historical relics to improve access. By all means provide access around sites but to damage our heritage is vandalism. I feel that the real issues which need to be addressed regarding disability concern discrimination in the workforce. The powers that be can point to visable disfigurements of our heritage and say look we Care when in reality they don't give a s**t.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2007, 01:17:24 am »

It might be political correctness to you old son but to me its a way of life and I dont hide behind it I live with it every day putting up with intollerance from bigots.
Just remember it could be you one day then you can talk PC and know what you're talking about.

Richard

[/quote]

Peter ?

bigfella

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2007, 02:12:45 am »

Hi All

I also am disabled and I agree with Richard 100percent. Why should the disabled be disenfranchised just because some ablebodied sod might get upset because it does not look like it did when it was operational. Next you will say that Ex-Service men who served on WW2 ships cant visit them because they are disabled and its not just the disabled that are not considered, what about the olderperson who cant walk as far lets face it there are more senior citizens than any other demographic. These are museum pieces and should be for everyone not just the greedy sods who believe they are the only ones on the planet.

I defy anyone who is able bodied to spend just one day in a wheelchair in their day to day world, just think how you going to go to work how you going to get up that six inch step into the Bank, how are you going to cross the road, how are you going to put your boat into the lake...... I could go on.

And as Richard says it could happen to you and with that attitude would you like to be disenfranchised.

GET IT

David >:( >:( >:(

ADDED: Political Correctness:  Doesn't that mean that We are all equal no matter who or what you are, obviously, it seams, some are less equal than others[/i]

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2007, 09:50:42 am »

Dear All,

With respect to all, may I bring back your attention back to the Cutty Sark and my previous post please.

Regards, Bernard2

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2007, 10:51:21 am »

I defy anyone who is able bodied to spend just one day in a wheelchair in their day to day world, just think how you going to go to work how you going to get up that six inch step into the Bank, how are you going to cross the road, how are you going to put your boat into the lake...... I could go on.

And as Richard says it could happen to you and with that attitude would you like to be disenfranchised.

GET IT

David   
Nicely put David, they just don't know the half of it.
I too cannot sail my boats without someone there to help me get them in and out of the water. I need help to do the things that most able bodied people take for granted. I could not go on the Mayhem Weekend because of my disability. I can only go to boat shows that are near enough for me to travel there and back in the same day.I cannot go out in the evenings because of medication and oxygen problems. I cannot plan holidays and cannot go abroad. I can never work again.
Life is great and then you get people who want to return to the dark ages and prevent you from doing the few things you are able.

Richard

splodger

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2007, 11:07:36 am »

Dear All,

With respect to all, may I bring back your attention back to the Cutty Sark and my previous post please.

Regards, Bernard2

Oh, yes please! please!! please!!

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2007, 06:19:18 pm »

Dear All,

Re my prev. post and idea, I should have asked that if anyone is interested to please put up a post here first.

Regards, Bernard2

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2007, 02:53:37 pm »

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2008, 10:51:13 am »

Seems that the fire was caused by somebody leaving a Hoover on for two days.  :o

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7643420.stm

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2008, 12:01:15 pm »

Humm, from what I know of builders it would more likely be a kettle  {-)
Steamed up all the time

RipSlider

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2008, 12:23:15 pm »

Wow.

serious threadromancy!

Does anyone know what is happening with it? Is there a cunning plan? To fix or not to fix?

Steve

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2008, 12:48:13 pm »

Seems that the fire was caused by somebody leaving a Hoover on for two days.  :o

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7643420.stm

Come on Colin, the Hoover was probably 140 years old!
  {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.