Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PERFECTION IN PHOTOGRAPHY  (Read 9410 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
PERFECTION IN PHOTOGRAPHY
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:02:18 am »

I have always wanted to take a perfect photgraph........but I don't think I could ever get one as good as this one that I have just found on Shipsnostalgia........take a look............pure brilliant.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=366961

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
Re: PERFECTION IN PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:09:05 am »

You have to register to view the picture you link to Neil

Mark.
Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:19:56 pm »

Not detracting from a good photo, but it doesn't really fit the rules for a great picture composition wise at least. What is great about it is the capturing of some excellent conditions, but that's generally down to patience and the right time in the right place! (Oh, and I don't claim to be a great tog by any means, but I've a decent grounding in it).

Well if that doesn't put the cat amongst the pigeons.....................    <*<   >>:-(    >>:-(

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 03:17:06 pm »

I don't give a stuff about rules and regs sailorboy......to me it's an excellent picture....who gives a stuff about rules and regs if it's immensly pleasing to my eyes.

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 03:44:50 pm »

As I said, not to detract from the photo which is indeed pleasing to the eye, and each to their own, however, you do care about rules and regs as clearly shows from your builds, you wouldn't put something that didn't belong on one of your boats even if it looked OK.
I know a little more about photography than I do about model boats, which isn't difficult. I respect your skills and knowledge as a model maker, I was just commenting that in my opinion it's pleasing but it isn't perfection.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 04:46:59 pm »

Surely rules are made to be broken, how do we advance anything if we stay within the guidelines given to us by others. I give you the Impressionist movement as a prime example. Considered way beyond what was acceptable at the time, now we paint through a stencil on a bit of wall and thats art!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 05:00:46 pm »

you wouldn't put something that didn't belong on one of your boats even if it looked OK.

I don't think that is a fair analogy really. Much photography is artistic in many respects such as soft focus shots intended to give atmosphere rather than clinical verisimilitude. Certainly there are guidelines such as the rule of thirds and you will tend to take better photographs if you are aware of and follow them but as Unbuiltnautilus says, rules are made to be broken as long as you lnow what you are doing, otherwise we wouldn't have had masterpieces such as Turner's paintings.

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 06:45:56 pm »

All I will say on Photography is When is a picture a Proper picture and STRAIGHT OUT OF THE CAMERA taken properly with the correct appature,correct speed etc etc etc and NOT a Photoshopped or played with image...........................NOT a lot of the about belive you me............now thast what you call a contreversial statement..I used to HATE camera club comps as all my pics were straight out of the camera and not photoshoped exactly as I saw it whether there was a whatever in the way it was NOT removed

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 07:25:19 pm »

You can't always trust the camera Dave. I took some local pictures last week of the trees on a hill all covered with snow. It was just like fairyland. But because it was so white the camera underexposed the scene and I had to use Photoshop to bring it back to what it actually looked like.

Also, you can take photos in a badly lit model boat exhibition and they all come out too dark. Photoshop allows you to bring out the missing detail and show you what you actually saw.

Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 08:08:56 pm »

but it isn't perfection.

it is to me, and that's all I'm bothered about!!! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 08:18:29 pm »

Surely rules are made to be broken, how do we advance anything if we stay within the guidelines given to us by others. I give you the Impressionist movement as a prime example. Considered way beyond what was acceptable at the time, now we paint through a stencil on a bit of wall and that's art!

Try telling me that when I am booking you for speeding, illogical %% %%   {-) {-) {-) {-)

RULES provide order from chaos O0 O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 08:22:28 pm »

I don't give a stuff about rules and regs sailorboy......to me it's an excellent picture....who gives a stuff about rules and regs if it's immensly pleasing to my eyes.

:police: :police: :police: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

{-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 04:22:31 pm »

Try telling me that when I am booking you for speeding, illogical %% %%   {-) {-) {-) {-)

RULES provide order from chaos O0 O0 O0

I am fairly sure breaking laws is a bit more dangerous to your on going freedom than breaking rules. I wasn't advocating going out and driving the wrong way down the street at 100mph.....Chaos rules, Mayhem, not so sure the world is ready for that :}
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unicorn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 04:38:13 pm »

ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2

Rules are for wise men`s guidance and fools to obey!!!!!!!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 06:34:40 pm »

You can't always trust the camera Dave. I took some local pictures last week of the trees on a hill all covered with snow. It was just like fairyland. But because it was so white the camera underexposed the scene and I had to use Photoshop to bring it back to what it actually looked like.

Also, you can take photos in a badly lit model boat exhibition and they all come out too dark. Photoshop allows you to bring out the missing detail and show you what you actually saw.

Colin

Colin when I first started photography some 40 years ago we had to use range finders, light meters,calculations, and faster and slower film bellows for macro shots
so for shots in snow we would use a fast shutter speed/or small aperture depending on what we wanted from the shot.. I am talking 35mm etc.
All the fun has gone out of photography LOL, {-)
I have lost count of the good pic,s I missed due to having to work out speed and aperture settings. I will stick to my digital.
films for now

john

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 07:13:58 pm »

John,

I started photography 50 years ago with a Box Brownie and yes, I came to use rangefinders exposure meters, different film types and speeds etc, etc.

In the end you had to wait to see what you had got.

In these digital days the camera and the post processing process are seamless as you are simply woking on the digital image file whether in the camera itself or on your PC afterwards.

Obviously you can fiddle with the digital camera settings when you take the photos if time permits but sometimes you just have to take the picture on automatic and sort it out later and I have no problems with that.  At the end of the day it's about capturing the image you want.

Colin

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 08:57:05 pm »

Exactly right Colin O0

john

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 09:52:09 pm »

thats what the cameras that can capture the raw image are all about, that image has much more depth and colour range than a standard picture, it is literally as the sensor sees it with no film settings applied, thus all of the processing can be applied manually.
Grendel

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 10:05:59 pm »

I have to disagree with the statement that you had to wait to see what you had got. I have some 30,000 slides on file. When I pressed the button I knew exactly what I had taken, the down side was there were no surprises when I got my processed film back & I opened the box or package. Today it is not photography it is graphic art. The true art of photography was seeing a picture that you wanted & then having the skill to record what you wanted on the film. This is 30 years of failure & practice speaking & hundreds of thousands of frames shot until I could get the image I wanted 99% of the time. Mick B. 
Mick B.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 11:37:15 pm »

RULES provide order from chaos

Order is the most temporary state of chaos

Dave

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 04:01:32 am »

ok you lot. <*<

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and in Neils eyes he is quite correct in his statement.
How can you tell him otherwise, you don't have his eyes.
Just because you think its not to your liking (or rules) doesn't make you right and Neil wrong.
You both could be right, both wrong, or beg to differ, doesn't change how Neil see's it.
I better grab ma hat, ma coat, and skeedadle under the door  :-))

cheers
vnkiwi %)
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 09:09:48 am »

Having checked this thread several times as replies have followed Neil's OP, it isinteresting to see all the differing opinions regading photos and photography.

With it being such a wide-ranging subject, I don't think there is any way that there can be a singular definitive answer to what constitutes 'the perfect photograph', despite some valiant attempts to do so. It's purely subjective and about as likely to yield a result as asking what makes the perfect piece of music.

Anyway, frustrated at not knowing what the photo in question actually was, I just registered on the shipsnostalgia.com website to see it.
Not being slightly interested in the composition, or balance, or whether it had been touched-up or how atmospheric it may be, or the 'honesty', etc, I just wanted to see it. So, when the image was finally revealed, I couldn't believe my eyes, with my IMMEDIATE reaction being "It's not level!"

Therefore, my conclusion is that although Neil says "I don't think I could ever get one as good as the one that I have just found on Shipsnostalgia....." I do think that he can certainly improve it's quality by rotating it slightly so the water isn't on a slope.

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 09:18:47 am »

the photos perfect Neil.
better than anything I have taken
cheers
vnkiwi
 :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 09:21:15 am »

ok you lot. <*<

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and in Neils eyes he is quite correct in his statement.
How can you tell him otherwise, you don't have his eyes.
Just because you think its not to your liking (or rules) doesn't make you right and Neil wrong.
You both could be right, both wrong, or beg to differ, doesn't change how Neil see's it.
I better grab ma hat, ma coat, and skeedadle under the door  :-))

cheers
vnkiwi %)

that is exactly the point I was making with my further comments Kiwi when others tried to tell me that I was talking through my assienda......thanks for your comments and support.

neil.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 09:27:45 am »

Neil,
That's one brilliant photo.
I've not been able in 50 years of photography, mainly marine, to come close to that.
Had some real good ones but that beats any of mine.
cheers
vnkiwi
 :-))
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.