Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perkasa 37" 1/32 scale confused.  (Read 4989 times)

clinker

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Perkasa 37" 1/32 scale confused.
« on: February 19, 2013, 12:34:28 pm »

Hi all, I ,m a newby to power boats,although I,ve been building sailing yacht,s for about 4 years now,I,ve just recived my Perkasa kit ,glass hull all wood topsides 37" 1/32 scale,the last few week,s I  have been trawling the web forum,s and build log,s ,this seems to be a very popular boat,however there are so many different opinions on powering the perkasa that I,m confused to say the least,please help as I can't see the wood for the tree,s.what amp e.s.c.s ,what prop ,shaft,motor,how many blades, sorry if you,ve heard all this before but my head hurt,s,is this o.k.
7.2 nicads x2
550 brushed motors x2
4mm shaft,s x2
3 blade 40mm props x2
e.s.c.(what amp please)x2
all advice greatly appreciated and needed many thank,s clinker.

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Perkasa 37" 1/32 scale confused.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:54:08 pm »

You won't be able to use NiCd batteries as they are now not legal to sell anymore, you will have to use NiMH or Lipo batteries. NiMH will work with NiCd chargers but Lipo batteries need a dedicated Lipo balanced charger and a low voltage alarm on the boat.
On NiMH batteries the larger the mAh number the longer they will last between recharges. The best place I've found to get them in the UK is from here -
http://www.component-shop.co.uk/

inertia

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:16:14 pm »

This is but one option
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Perkasa%20-%20Nautical%20Marine%20Models.pdf
You don't have to have the radar if you don't want it.
You can connect two identical 7.2v packs in parallel as well, but I'd advise using an ACTion P103 in between them to avoid back-charging and consequent damage.
The rest of your list looks pretty much OK, but don't use bigger pops than the 40mm x 3-blade.
BTW if you already have NiCAD cells then it's quite legal to use them; you just won't be able to replace them like-for-like.
DM

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:36:24 pm »

My 1/32 Perkasa runs on two 545s (I think thats what they are, they were in boat when I bought it), a cheapy ESC from eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Boat-Ship-EL-Water-Resistant-110A-Brushed-Motor-ESC-Speed-Controller-/170921684171?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=5yD3K1jRANPsfTh5Rs6bkXndpzQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc and an 11.1v lipo - My props are 30mm on 3mm shafts, they were also fitted when I acquired it. My motors do seem to draw quite heavily so may get replaced eventually -Just remember to put a fuse in the system as I burnt out an ESC already without a fuse.

Wayne

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 08:51:17 pm »

Hi all, I ,m a newby to power boats,although I,ve been building sailing yacht,s for about 4 years now,I,ve just recived my Perkasa kit ,glass hull all wood topsides 37" 1/32 scale,the last few week,s I  have been trawling the web forum,s and build log,s ,this seems to be a very popular boat,however there are so many different opinions on powering the perkasa that I,m confused to say the least,please help as I can't see the wood for the tree,s.what amp e.s.c.s ,what prop ,shaft,motor,how many blades, sorry if you,ve heard all this before but my head hurt,s,is this o.k.
7.2 nicads x2
550 brushed motors x2
4mm shaft,s x2
3 blade 40mm props x2
e.s.c.(what amp please)x2
all advice greatly appreciated and needed many thank,s clinker.
Clinker that's exactly the combo I used with a similar vosper MTB.
My invoice book shows eightysix FR40 escs sales since July to members of your two neighbouring model boat clubs,sixteen last week.
I will stick my neck out and say you can use a single FR40 esc which can handle Lipo without an external lipo alarm.
Just contact Chantry or Tugs'r Us model boat clubs
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

clinker

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:50 am »

Many thank's to you all for your help, I shall now be looking at places and prices and let you know what I settle with and how it goes, having only just started this project I think it will be some time before the hull get's wet. As I see it first thing is getting the shaft's in the right place with room behind for the rudder's and water scoop's for cooling.
regard's  clinker.
P.S. I am a member of the cynet's  club at Maidstone.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:34:57 am »

Hi Clinker,

Just a thought, but if this is your first power boat, you might be just as well off keeping things simple and going for a single shaft and motor set up

Something like a Graupner 700 or similar motor would work well along with something like this

http://www.puffinmodels.com/product.php?prod=1728

clinker

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:40:55 pm »

Thank's spearfish, I will have a look at this idea, I did'nt realise how expensive this can get once you start to add everthing up,the action electronic's suggested installation for the perkasa twin screw rig comes to around £115-00,then I've still got to buy batt's and motor's.So I am thinking along the single prop route,but will I be able to get the boat to plane at a reasonable price ???
                                          clinker

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 04:49:04 pm »

Hi Clinker,

If you go the simple route and go for one motor, shaft and electronic speed controller and keep the battery load reasonable, this hull will plane with very little effort.

To be honest, the easiest way nowadays would probably be to look at a brushless motor setup as a starting point. This is not because a brushed motor such as the Graupner 700 speed isn't powerful enough, simply that the market is currently flooded with cheap Far Eastern brushless motors . Something like the below would more than fit the bill and only costs about £13

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11182__Turnigy_500_H3126_Brushless_outrunner_1300KV.html

A reasonable ESC  for brushless motors can be obtained from Ebay or a suggestion to match the above motor at about £15 is below

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15132__Hobbyking_SS_Boat_Series_70A_ESC.html

To keep weight down, the obvious way to go is LIPO batteries rather than Nimh. For the energy they can supply, they are lighter than NIMH's although they do require a more careful charging regime.

With the above motor/ESC combination, you could start off with a 3S lipo set up which is about similar in power to 2x7.2v NIMH packs wired in series that you would probably have to use to get the Perkasa planing with the 700 speed. The combination will take up to  6s (i,e, double the voltage of 3S) so you could increase power by buying a larger LIPO cell without changing the motor or ESC if you felt it was needed

The club that you mention has been around for a long time and has a great reputation. It might be wise to see what some of the folk there are sailing and see if anyone has a boat similar to yours. If you could find yourself a local mentor, it would probably serve you better than all of us on here making suggestions on how to go about your build at arm's length , as it were

clinker

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:58:43 am »

Many thank's spearfish99 ,had a chat to one of the lad's from the club last  night,he had a similar set up in one of his boats, unfortunately he's sold the boat so I can't have a look,he think's it had a 4mm shaft,40mm prop, I.m going to give it a go,compiling list and prices now,thank's
    clinker.

clinker

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 11:06:22 am »

If I go with the 500/1300kv brushless  outrunner with a ss 70 A e.s.c.and 3s lipo(11.1v) can I still use my spektrum r/x as I thought that you had to be careful of the voltage with these???
                                            thank you, clinker

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 04:51:44 pm »

Hi Clinker,

The suggested ESC is an "opto" model. i.e. it doesn't supply power to the Rx. Just use a battery pack as you would in any other model. The  11.1v is only supplied to the motor

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 05:46:32 pm »

Hi clinker,
If you don,t want to use a separate Rx battery you can fit a BEC unit
from hobbyking that connects from the main battery to the Rx.

john

clinker

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 02:39:56 pm »

Hi ,many thank's for all of the advice and information, I have now bit he bullet and gone for the action eletronics Perkasa set up (ordered) all I'm looking for now are the lowest priced Graupner 600 eco. 7.2v. motors or equivalent !!!
                                                         regard's clinker
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.