Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting older and grumpier  (Read 1500 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Getting older and grumpier
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:09:10 pm »

I admit to the title, but I was just looking at the thread about repairing a brushless motor, and my mind wandered off.  It wandered to when I had a proper job, and had to occasionally tweak a motor driven uniselector, which was a ****** scary device that flung a dozen or so blades around at about 100 rmp, using an early relative of the brushless motor.  In my trip down memory lane, assisted by google, I ran across this gem -
Three or four months ago, my wife told my 16-year old stepson to call and see if the person that cuts his hair was working that day. There was a big to-do that day about him not wanting to do anything for himself, and one of the results of that was the need for him to make this call rather than relying on his mom. Anyway, after some typical teenage bitching he went off to his room to call the place with his cell phone. A few minutes pass and he comes out again.
Him: "The phone isn't working."
Us: "It's not working. Really. Did you dial the right number?"
Him: "Yeah! Of course I did! I'm not that stupid. It's just making some weird noise."
Us: "What number did you dial?"
Him: [He told us.]
I got my cell and called that number. [beeeeep] [pause] [beeeeep] [pause] [beeeeep]
Us: "That, son, is a busy signal."
Him: "A what?"
There was also a brief comment regarding the early use of calculators (early in "education", that is) - "Are they being pre-handicapped in preparation for being incompetent at basic math."
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
Re: Getting older and grumpier
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:06:11 am »

I sometimes wonder if Idiocracy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy isn't a horribly prescient film.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:59:41 am »

No I am not, they are all just getting more and more stupid as time goes by.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:08:16 am »

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

One of the cleverest guys I ever met (Don, a very nice chap) truly couldn't be trusted to do anything practical
I, on the other hand, am practically stupid  O0  :}

Dave

inertia

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 08:59:56 am »

I think I'd like a pint or two in the company of Al Franken (See last link) - sounds like my kind of guy! Practical ineptitude is what keeps the tradesmen of the world busy, so no need to be ashamed of not being able to make a door or paint a wall. Crass stupidity, however, is contemptible and not to be confused with ignorance - which is simply not knowing stuff.

You want stupidity? Yesterday our house phone rang and I noticed that the number on the caller display wasn't any I recognised, so I let the answering machine take over. The message on this clearly says that this is our home phone; that ACTion is no longer at this number and that the new number is blah blah. The caller must have listened to the whole message as there was a very brief period of him breathing and some other background noises which had been recorded before he hung up. Thirty seconds after the answering machine had finished its playback the same person rang again. This time I picked up the phone.
"Is that ACTion?" said the caller.

One truly wonders...................

DM

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:16:26 am »

I Often look at the Darwinian awards at the start of the year with glee...............I feel better when I don't appear on them %% %% %% %% %%

In fact it sets me up for the rest of the year.... {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:29:50 am »

Putting this here, even though its a joke its also about Grumpies  {-) {-) %% %%

Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.