Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1971 Revell USS FLASHER SUB...WHAT TO DO?  (Read 3082 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
1971 Revell USS FLASHER SUB...WHAT TO DO?
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:26:47 pm »

Right guys, I have an old Revell kit, 1:125 scale of USS Flasher, question is I love doing tatty boats/subs, so, what to do with this model?
Do I do a standard paint job and make it just a normal static model?
Do I do another sunken model, like my U-boat, but this time play about a bit more regarding damage, rusting etc?
Do I do a half and half, a diorama using the sub in a small river inlet, lost, forgotten, rusted with holes, half submerged. One side of the diorama built up to show a overgrown bank. Then I shall cap it all off by doing a epoxy, or clear water surround of the boat?
I am leaning towards the last 'Do I' but what's your thoughts?
Ta.
Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1971 Revell USS FLASHER SUB...WHAT TO DO?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:56:40 pm »

Have decided to do the 'forgotten' half submerged sub in a diorama setting.
Some first pics of the model itself, a Revell 1:125 scale from 1971. Then some pics of two inhaler tops I intend to use as the inner hull, fitted into hull, all dry fitted.
First thing is to drill out the vent holes...oh, joy.
Will add more pics as I progress.

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 01:15:34 pm »

Have got some early pics of the 1:125 scale Gato in tropical rust. Same technique as the sunken U-Boat model.
These pics show it part way through detailing as it was drying.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 03:45:45 pm »

Another little update on the detailing of the sub. This has had another two brown/black/brass paint sponges, then a black/green tide mark line. Then it has had a small amount of green flock, just to one side, the diorama is a sea inlet-the sub has been beached/stranded and is leaning towards the inlet so is more sheltered than the sea-ward side. Also had a few dark brown fine scatter added to give more depth.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 03:49:23 pm »

I am so glad for the rust effect as the model ended up on the floor in bits, some bodging, effects and paint and it seems to have worked...phew.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 03:56:18 pm »

...now that's really creepy!  {:-{

Good job though!   
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 04:14:18 pm »

now that's really creepy!
Awe, Martin, my relic subs shouldn't be creepy...well maybe just a little, wouldn't you want to explore the wreck?
Good job though!
Thanks, this could be the last wrecked sub I do as this will be a large diorama base, may do a sunken battleship next time.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 05:15:17 pm »

A few pics of the Gato in situ on the diorama board, just done the water, this is a plastic sheet painted from underneath-it has a dimpled effect on the surface. This is a test fit of the sub, lots of sandbanks to do and then finish off the land bits with paint effects, foliage and palm trees. Just to add, the sub is going to be stranded on the sand. tide out so low water expsoing the sand etc-I decided-due too dodgy hands and drilling myself that although the sub would look better half submerged this maybe an easier option {:-{ , also, as is most of my models, this is on a budget-hence the bits and bobs laying around. All told this model has cost around £40 to make- model, paint, foliage and foam. Total build time is approx 20hrs to date.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 03:30:32 pm »

Right, some more piccies of the diorama. This time painting effects, palm trees and foliage added. The Gato has been cut down so it sits lower-this will be stuck down and some more sand effect and paint added just around the hull area. A few more paint details to the sub in places, plaque ordered-once stuck more sand areas just upto plaque and clean over-paint off the water...then finished.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/eddiesolo/DSCF0708_zpsd91a54d1.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/eddiesolo/DSCF0707_zps4419bdf0.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/eddiesolo/DSCF0709_zpsced1d60f.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/eddiesolo/DSCF0703_zps3e34b6fd.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/eddiesolo/DSCF0702_zps5df4b589.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/eddiesolo/DSCF0701_zps0d2b9fc4.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g29/eddiesolo/DSCF0700_zps9d613eba.jpg

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 09:21:54 pm »

Some piccies direct from the pooter.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 05:27:08 pm »

I have had someone informing me that the scale of the palm trees compared to the sub looks wrong. Well, getting palm trees to this scale is hard without making them, but, if you take a look at the deck gun and work out the scale of a man standing next to it and then the palm trees the scale isn't too far off. Also there is a false sense of scale due to the sub being high out of the water-this is pooled water after the tide has gone out, the sub has been towed in to shallow water or been stranded/beached...whatever, that is my story and I'm sticking to it  %% . Just thought I would mention this in case any other folk looked at the pics and thought the same.
Plaque came today so have just added some more paint effects to the sub and surrounding sandy/rocky banks, nearly there...so very close...just a few more details and...knowing me I'll drop the "xxxxx".

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.