Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mahogany filler  (Read 3538 times)

slewis

mahogany filler
« on: May 21, 2007, 10:39:12 pm »

Re the title
I am currently building a chris craft triple on here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3729.msg40703#new and as I am nearing completion of the planking on the hull I am looking and seeing gaps in between the planks . Ok not big gaps but gaps non the less and as such when I get to put the epoxy coat over the top of them these gaps are going to show up even more .
Does anyone know of a GOOD mahogany filler to close the gaps up or even a home made version using mahogany sanding dust + whatever ?

All advice / help  greatly recieved .
Thanks  chaps

Shane

Stavros

Re: mahogany filler
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 11:05:37 pm »

Band Q sell vaey good wood fillers Stavros

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 11:09:29 pm »

The tip on a recent real boat building program was to use a mix of the glue being used and sawdust from the wood.  Usual disclaimer - I would try it on a piece of scrap first.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 11:50:44 pm »

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my Riva - see scratch build Riva on here. I got around it by planing peices of mahog. into wedge shapes and glueing them into the gaps. When dry, sanded down and varnished, they are invisible .

Good luck

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 06:44:49 pm »

The tip on a recent real boat building program was to use a mix of the glue being used and sawdust from the wood.  Usual disclaimer - I would try it on a piece of scrap first.
Tried this method a few times but only with "Devcon". It takes more sawdust than you think, but gives a very worthwhile result.
Anyone tried it with other "stickums"?
Notes from a simple seaman

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 09:19:37 pm »

How about good old-fashioned "Plastic Wood" as available from good old-fashioned hardware shops. Not, I hasten to add, a plug for my own business, but if you're anywhere near Queensbury...

Boogger to sand down, though.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 09:36:32 pm »

How about good old-fashioned "Plastic Wood"

I've tried that in similar circumstances but not got a good colour match. I reckon Ian's solution is probably the best.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 09:38:33 pm »

This what you want.I also use there glue its one of the few that are salt water proof.  If not try and get some good old Brummer filler. that was old when I served my time , and I'm retired.  and yes it is still available.

Peter

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/W11

http://www.brummer.co.uk/woodfillers.htm

slewis

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 10:12:49 pm »

I am going to try the wood shavings for the larger gaps (I never thought of that ) !and have ordered some of the Rutlands filler to try on the smaller ones which to be honest I am probably doing as overkill as I like the idea of a completley gap free finish before commiting to the resin going on. The gaps themselves are relativley small indeed only caused by the planks not being 100% true as a straight edge when butted up to each other so the filler should work out fine for those. I have taken my time when fitting them to minimize major gaps so between the 2 methods I think I may have this one cracked  :-X

Thanks for ALL the replies chaps I will let you know how I get on with the different methods

Shane
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.