Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Detailling - info sought  (Read 1633 times)

chris_suffolk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fun building Resolve tug
Detailling - info sought
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:23:22 pm »

Hi,

Not sure if this belongs here, if not can somebody please move it.

New to the forum. but owned a few yachts in the past.

Now back to building a Caldercraft Resolve kit I bought a while back. Really nice kit, though instructions are a bit lacking in places.

Anyway, my question - whilst the kit is really quite detailled, with lots of bits to build and fit I can't help but think the real vessel would have had additional detail not shown in the kit - for example were the salvage boxes tied down in transit as they are on rollers? Can anybody point to sources for general research of a boat of this era (built 1918) and the types of fittings I would expect to see, or (even better) info from the original boat, as pics etc seem to be sadly lacking from what I can find.

Also, would love to add some weathering (after a coat of varnish so I can remove if it goes wrong) - not tried before, so what would be a good first step to add some 'age' without necessarily going to town (which I don't have the experience or skills for yet)

Any help gratefully received

Chris

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Detailling - info sought
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:41:23 pm »

Hi Chris and welcome to Mayhem.

There doesn't seem to be a lot from Caldercraft, but I built a model of the Saint Class and the general deck junk is the same. Which version are you building, the RN version or the Civvy one?

There's a set of drawings in 'British Steam Tugs' by Phil Thomas. I've sent you a PM regarding this.

Tony :-))

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
Re: Detailling - info sought
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:52:12 pm »

Welcome to the forum. I do static models although I have just got a RC trawler to fix up. I have made dioramas and models for a few years and I find that dry brush techniques work well. Have a look at the sub section and some piccies I have done of a rusty Gato class and a sunken U-boat, although you will not be going to the extreme that I have, the paint effects are all sponged or dry brush. Dry brush just means that you get a very soft brush, dip into the paint then take off the excess paint, leave to dry a few seconds a gently use the tip of the brush to flick the paint on. It will be very a very light coating, this way you can build up the coats without splodging getting a good result. Practise using some scrap wood or plastic, once you're happy with it just apply to sections of the boat. Easy to do, as said very light flicks on hull work, metal work etc, also you can use your finger to smudge areas.
Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.