Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: anybody got a link for free downloadable engine sounds?  (Read 5941 times)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
anybody got a link for free downloadable engine sounds?
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:38:17 am »

Im after a noisy old diesel engine sound, every website I find advertises free downloads till you get on it, anybody got a good website with a choice of mp3 downloadable sounds?
thanks

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
  • roll on mayhem at wicksteed 2016 !
lets just hope this one floats !!
fire at will ! ... which one is will ?

Blutoh

• Shipmate
Re: anybody got a link for free downloadable engine sounds?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:55:34 am »

Go to this page.  In the third post I have engine sounds for a sound system project I am working on.  There are three engine sounds in the zip file, engine start, engine run and engine stop. All are for a diesel.  Download and unzip.

Blutoh

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:23:11 am »

I downloaded some engine sounds for my Schnellboot from http://www.sounddogs.com/

You'll have to mix and match and tweak them a bit.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 11:41:42 am »

thanks peeps! :-))

supposed to be off work painting, so will have to have a proper look at the links later! :} , domnt want to get caught out by you know who  %) 

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:08:37 pm »

Go to this page.  In the third post I have engine sounds for a sound system project I am working on.  There are three engine sounds in the zip file, engine start, engine run and engine stop. All are for a diesel.  Download and unzip.

Blutoh

Hi Pete, cant get these files to open, saying corrupt, and I need to buy winrar? whatever that is! The other links, sounddogs you appear to have to buy, and findsounds are too short to do anything with, but thanks anyway :-))

Blutoh

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 06:54:17 pm »

They are ".ogg" format files, i.e. open source. If you are in windows you will need to get a codec for ogg vorbis, or download Audacity (it's free also) and you can convert them to any format.  I have converted one to a wav format but unfortunately the forum won't allow me to attach it here?

Pete

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 10:39:11 am »

They are ".ogg" format files, i.e. open source. If you are in windows you will need to get a codec for ogg vorbis, or download Audacity (it's free also) and you can convert them to any format.  I have converted one to a wav format but unfortunately the forum won't allow me to attach it here?

Pete
Yes, using audacity, run it, start recording, play the sample, stop recording, edit the sound, export it as either a .wav or .mp3 or whatever you need it saved as.  Do not save it on the way out unless you want an audacity only format.  The sound files can be cut, copied and pasted like any other image.  There are also tools for tweaking the volume and fading in and out.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 03:45:31 pm »

This is what I am trying to achieve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHMjVCuVdkg&feature=youtu.be

Perhaps a bit amateurish, but then I have the option of switching it off completely. However, it will be a nice experience to hear the Kriegsmarine Marsch wafting through the waves as she sails in and out. I personally LOVE the engine idle thumpity thump at the end of it all. O0

Keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for it all to work out. I've almost become a Sound Technician at the end of this 'experiment'. Phew!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 12:47:36 am »

got them to work pete, many thanks for your efforts and help, they would have been ideal, especially with the start up and shut down, but unfortunately its the wrong sound, I need an old diesel being thrashed :} that sound is way too nice!
Paul

Blutoh

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 01:40:39 am »

OK, Paul, sorry we don't have the right sound for you yet  ;) , but keep an eye on the thread.  Eventually we will be creating sound libraries, for different types of vessels, and at some point may have what you need.  Right now I just carved up the engine sound into 10 rpm notches, so we can have the rpm follow the throttle up and down.   Take a look at this site, they have 250+ diesel sounds, all free.  There are some real interesting sounds there, including this one.  You may be able to tweak one onto what you want.

Pete

Blutoh

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 03:44:20 am »

Hi Paul,

Just an update, we have a new sound library that may be closer to the type of engine sound you are looking for.  Its in this post, in two zip files named soundlib2a.zip and soundlib2b.zip.  As usual they are in the ".ogg" format, so you will have to convert it with  Audacity.

Pete

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 08:28:49 am »

;)
Hello

you need to find your happiness in all that
Regards
http://modelismenavalradioc.nouvellestar6.com/t6981-banque-de-sons?highlight=sons

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 08:37:26 am »

ok2
hello again

do not forget: next to a real boat we hear very little motors.

Ten meters we do not hear

model on a scale we can not hear the sound more or less one meter ..........

we are not a rock concert

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 09:49:24 am »

You're ruining the myth Gazou, you must be able to hear every clunk and scrape at fifty paces or the sound module manufacturers have got it wrong, and don't forget the trials and tribulations of trying to create an infinite baffle inside a toy boat hull.  {-)

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

inertia

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 10:54:46 am »

How many cylinders and how old?
Ian and Jean-Pierre are dead right about being too fussy. Reminds me of the guy who rang up and wanted an engine sound for his Titanic, and we had several asking for Bismarck and Hood engines.
DM

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 11:42:31 am »

Is there a loop for tearing steel and ice cubes hitting the deck for the ACTion noisy thing?

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 11:45:27 am »

You building the Titanic then  ??????  :}

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 11:52:21 am »

I think Red's after an old  Petter a la' dumper truck - an old clanker coughing and banging away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivN8Y7PC1XU                             

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 12:19:38 pm »

ok2    HI Dave  !

No I do not want to spoil the myth, I just want to say that we should not sound too loud. An old fishing boat can have loud sounds (port), a vapor may have loud sounds (port) but not as a supply ship or cargo. I live in a port and it is impossible to record the sound of the engines of a ship outside because I only hear the buzzing.

And hear the CUCARACHA in a submarine is nonsense. O0

On my supply, you know we do not hear sounds when you put your ear to a meter. When navigating two meters can not hear anything you do not hear the horn but "normal" modules come from you.

cordially

inertia

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 12:32:09 pm »

If that's the engine sound you want then you've already got everything you need on the You-Tube video i.e. engine starts, runs and shut downs. Take a decent digital voice recorder and stick it in front of the PC speakers, then record everything. Stuff the recording through Audacity (which is freeware) and chop out the bits you don't want (sorry Chet and Jerry....), then compress as required and save as .wav, .raw, .mp3 or any other format which suits. You could then run it through an ACTion P100 or Graupner sound unit. Don't forget that pure sound is for HiFi fanatics - like Ian says, we make model boats.
Suit yourself.
DM

inertia

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 12:35:59 pm »

Is there a loop for tearing steel and ice cubes hitting the deck for the ACTion noisy thing?
Regards  Ian.

No - but we do have a very amusing stream of bubbles..................guaranteed to make anyone who asks about Titanic engine sounds retreat in embarrassment.
DM

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 12:37:24 pm »

:-)
It is better to do nothing than to do evil

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 07:16:38 pm »

thanks pete, I will have a play with your latest link, there must be something I can do with those sounds, we are now on the right sort of sound,
 that old dumper truck isnt that far away! My model has a sound unit in it, that has an sd card facility, operated from ther transmitter to pick tracks, the boat is the Orca from jaws, and its the battered thrashed engine sound I want !
I have various music and dialogue tracks from the film, which using audacity are played over the engine sound, and I have just the engine sound on a loop, but unfortunately the loop I did, and the sound I used isnt that good. Its taken a while to get the sound unit to the point that it works really well, so now I want to improve the recorded tracks. Music and dialogue is easy from the net, as I run the boat at slow speeds, and dont have throttle proportional engine sound, the engine sound I want is reasonably slow, bit like an old 4cyl diesel, I might be being fussy, but when I hear it I will know thats the one! :}

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 07:29:40 pm »

ok2  HI RED 181
hello

on a boat like the ORCA propulsion is diesel / electric and groups almost always run at the same speed. groups are in the boat. Electric motors do not make a noise audible outside. Hear the sound of 4 cylinders on a boat like the ORCA is not good. There has not heard the bateauJ'ai ORCA Norway. Want to know what we mean? Nothing.

It is better to do nothing rather than hurt

Sorry to disappoint you
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.