Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perkasa - speed controller  (Read 2933 times)

shark bait

Perkasa - speed controller
« on: May 22, 2007, 04:45:04 pm »

Hello,
i am looking to bring my model perkasa into the 21st c by fitting a speed controller instead of a servo and board. Can anyone advise on what type of speed controller will work and how to fit it as i am poor in the understanding of electronics department!

any advice would be gratefully received as i would like to sail her at the mayhem weekend

thanks
shark bait.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Perkasa - speed controller
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 05:02:09 pm »

Hi,

Need a few more details - what motor and how many, prop size, voltage,boat size, then someone may be able to help.

ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 10:58:02 pm »

One place to start is the capacity of the "Bobs board" type controller.
If this gas worked well for a while it is a good starting point.
BUT
If the model is used mostly full ahead, as most of these are, then this by-passes the resistance side of the board and is a direct contact drive.
I must say though, IF IT AINT BROKE WHY FIX IT!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 11:14:45 pm »

If you bin the bobs board and get an average electronic speed controller you will probably get better controle and 25% longer run time

Peter

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 08:31:15 am »

Peter,
Not if the Bobs Board is being used at full ahead for most of the time as this is not using the resistance of the board, therefore not generating wasteful heat, and just a direct connection.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 12:03:31 pm »

shipmate60
Peter,
Not if the Bobs Board is being used at full ahead for most of the time as this is not using the resistance of the board, therefore not generating wasteful heat, and just a direct connection.

Bob
Yes but that is as long as it is set up correctly , and most are not in my experience, they cost as much if not more as one an electronic unit . they are much harder to set up correctly and give poor control ,20 years ago they where still a bit cheaper but for a novice electronic are a fay better choice. also how many people run there scale boat flat out from the second they put there boat in the water to the time they take it out.?  It's like people who think micro switches are better than modern switch units, because they cost about 10P less than a relay unit. if you read the first post he states that he knows very Little about electronics so the electronic speed ctr is far easyer for him to use. Peter

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 12:32:48 pm »

Peter,
My point is this:
If the model is working well as it is why change it.
If the board is worn out then change to an electronic ESC.
I have found that the old Bobs Boards very forgiving in power selection. ESC's are not.
As you are aware to get the correct power ESC you need to know the power consumption.
The heaviest "normal" draw is when going from full ahead to full astern, you should have a good idea of the stall current too, to exceed this capacity with the ESC, or select an ESC that will bear the "overload" until the fuse blows.
If the model runs on a known motor eg Graupner or Deans this isn't much of a problem, but if it is a propriety motor then the minimun requirement will be an ammeter.
Or spend £100 on an unlimited ESC.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

shark bait

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 02:46:02 pm »

Hello,
i am looking to bring my model perkasa into the 21st c by fitting a speed controller instead of a servo and board. Can anyone advise on what type of speed controller will work and how to fit it as i am poor in the understanding of electronics department!

any advice would be gratefully received as i would like to sail her at the mayhem weekend

thanks
shark bait.
The model is 1 meter long and has a single prop. The motor is 12v but I'm not sure what amp it draws. The board still works but the servo is broken. i could just use a new servo but wondered if i would get a better performance all round if i put in an ESC. In terms of keeping it simple i guess a new servo would suffice. Any suggestions?

thanks

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 03:01:41 pm »

Hi shark bait , So we can help you we Need to know what motor / Batteries you have, If you are not shure of the make or size if you could post a picture of them , we will then be able to tell you what is the best speed ctr for you.  also prop size and  number of  blades would help, does it sail ok now and is it that you just want to modernise it ,I'm not a fan of bobs boards as you can tell so I would bin the bobs and go electronic.. I tend to use 

http://www.electronize.co.uk/                                                                       

But these are very good

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

but you will still need to match them to the setup you have so see if you can get some inf or pictures.. Peter

Peter

bobdoc

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 09:19:45 pm »

I have an Electronize  FR30HX Controller - why are all the electrical cables so "heavy duty" (from battery to ESC to motor) and from the pictures seem similar on all the Electronize ESCs?

Certainly much heavier than domestic except for electric hobs.

Is this purely to cover amp surges e.g. stalled prop?

Sorry if these seem simplistic questions but till now I have just accepted what I purchased but never understood the physics!

Bobdoc

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 09:25:42 pm »

domestic devices other than cookers are 13A your ctr is 30 amp the same ish as a cooker high amps req thicker cable to save over heating and loss, thin cables cannot pass the current .
Peter

bobdoc

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 10:01:49 pm »

Thanks, Peter, my schoolboy physics plus DIY experiences since, can understand that I think

BW

Bodoc

shark bait

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 09:34:59 am »

Hi shark bait , So we can help you we Need to know what motor / Batteries you have, If you are not shure of the make or size if you could post a picture of them , we will then be able to tell you what is the best speed ctr for you.  also prop size and  number of  blades would help, does it sail ok now and is it that you just want to modernise it ,I'm not a fan of bobs boards as you can tell so I would bin the bobs and go electronic.. I tend to use 

http://www.electronize.co.uk/                                                                       

But these are very good

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

but you will still need to match them to the setup you have so see if you can get some inf or pictures.. Peter

i will bring it down to the tent on sunday so i can get some advice. I am currently using disposable batteries which are heavy and costly, so i also intend to change to rechargables, sounds as if i should up date the entire electronics at the same time.

thanks and see you at the show    ;D

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.