Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help  (Read 5160 times)

Starchild

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Need help
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:02:54 pm »

Hi all :-)

Does anyone have experience buying from www.amodelworld-shop.co.uk ?
[/size]
[/size]Got a bit sceptical cause the "contact us" link dont work. And I placed a order, but no confirm email from them.

[/size]
[/size]

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 02:09:57 pm »

I can't speak for the company, but the website's built on a CMS (Content Management System) and seems a bit home-brewed: which makes me think they've simply got a broken Contact Page.

Give them a call and see?

01606 891999

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:16:53 pm »

I have a direct email for them if you can't get through.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Starchild

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 05:25:07 pm »

I have a direct email for them if you can't get through.

That would be great, thank you :)

Btw, would you reccomend that store? I live in Norway and all stores are out of a Graupner Titanic here. And I just GOT to have one  :}  But on the other hand, I know nothing about that shop..

Andy, thanks, but i prefer emails  :embarrassed:

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:14 pm »

Piqued my interest as that phone number is local to me in Cheshire, UK.
Trawling their website I found this at the bottom of the Conditions page:
Our Details
A Model World - Ascot House, 1 Barrymore Crescent, Comberbach, Cheshire, CW9 6PA. United Kingdom.
www.AModelWorld-Shop.co.uk - 6 Le Mesnil, Quilen, Pas de Calais, 62650, France.

That's an 'interesting' arrangement. ??
I checked the UK address with Google Streetview and it is a private house, on a housing estate.

I was curious because I'd not heard of them, but a few months ago I drove past a shop unit in Northwich (Comberbach is a nearby village) which appeared to be a model shop. However, when I returned it was closed (with a steel shutter down and no visible signage) and has been thus every time I've passed since. I thought I may have imagined it, but now I wonder if this is his place, but he only does web and doesn't open to the public.

None of which helps much with your enquiry Starchild. Sorry.

Starchild

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 08:54:58 pm »

Piqued my interest as that phone number is local to me in Cheshire, UK.
Trawling their website I found this at the bottom of the Conditions page:
Our Details
A Model World - Ascot House, 1 Barrymore Crescent, Comberbach, Cheshire, CW9 6PA. United Kingdom.
www.AModelWorld-Shop.co.uk - 6 Le Mesnil, Quilen, Pas de Calais, 62650, France.

That's an 'interesting' arrangement. ??
I checked the UK address with Google Streetview and it is a private house, on a housing estate.

I was curious because I'd not heard of them, but a few months ago I drove past a shop unit in Northwich (Comberbach is a nearby village) which appeared to be a model shop. However, when I returned it was closed (with a steel shutter down and no visible signage) and has been thus every time I've passed since. I thought I may have imagined it, but now I wonder if this is his place, but he only does web and doesn't open to the public.

None of which helps much with your enquiry Starchild. Sorry.

No, but that helped a lot. Something didnt seem right when i didnt get a confirmation email after ordering it. And the fact that you know about the place, but it seems closed up, just ads to that point. You just got to watch out buying online. Thank you :). Luckely I havent paid :)

Thanks alot Oci :D

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 10:05:41 pm »

Starchild hang on a mo Lets put you and OTHERS right on a few FACTS

A Model World DOES not have a shop But has an Industrial unit I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT.

A MODEL WORLD Runs the Blackpool show and Coalville show to name 2 shows others as well

Oci if you had BOTHERED to do your research BETTER you would have found these facts out for yuourself instead of trying to put a trader down and trying to BLACKEN his REPUTATION....JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Starchild I can PERSONALLY reccomend Mark at A MODEL WORLD as one of hte most reliable and Honest Traders that are out there and would have NO hessitation in buying anything off him and RECCOMENDING you to buy off him......YOU ASK WHY
Simple really I dont reccomend any Trader who I do not trust

Dave

wibplus

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:15:10 pm »

I too have dealt with Mark a few times and found him totally reliable (if a bit difficult to contact sometimes) but never had any problems with him or his services. Also, at the last Blackpool show, I gave him some money to pay for an item I wanted but that he could not find at the time. After about two weeks of searching, he gave up trying to find it and promptly posted my money back to me.
As I said,  totally reliable and honest.    :-))

Starchild

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:08:37 pm »

Ok guys. Im sorry. You just have to be carefull ordering from the internett, and Titanic cost alot.

Thank you for your personally reccomandations of a model world  :-)

Brian Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 11:23:54 pm »

I too have dealt with Mark a few times and found him totally reliable (if a bit difficult to contact sometimes) but never had any problems with him or his services. Also, at the last Blackpool show, I gave him some money to pay for an item I wanted but that he could not find at the time. After about two weeks of searching, he gave up trying to find it and promptly posted my money back to me.
As I said,  totally reliable and honest.    :-))
Couldn't agree more Wibplus, have known and dealt with Mark for a number of years and have never had a problem with his service. Competitive pricing, and total honesty.
Brian

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 11:57:43 pm »

Oci if you had BOTHERED to do your research BETTER you would have found these facts out for yuourself instead of trying to put a trader down and trying to BLACKEN his REPUTATION....JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Boy do you jump to extreme conclusions. Nowhere in my previous post have I 'blackened' a reputation. As the contact page is broken I looked for something about the trader and found the part I quoted above ON HIS WEBSITE. As Starchild says above we are told to be careful when looking at internet traders and that does look a bit strange being half UK and half France. And that UK address given is definitely not an industrial unit.

The later part of the post was simply wondering if the shop unit in Northwich was part of his business - there aren't a lot of modelling suppliers around these days, so it seemed reasonable to consider that possibility, and I did not say that it being shuttered meant it was closed.
Unfortunately Starchild has misunderstood my notes (but as I suspect English may not be his first language I could understand that). You have too, but given your black/white, shout a lot, approach to life I'm not really surprised at that either.

I think I'll give up posting here - with the way people misread stuff (not just mine) and then go postal about it it's too much like being dentist at a zoo.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 05:27:13 am »

My 2c, having watched several niche traders disappear and others thrive.
One of the trends for niche market traders, is to only have an online presence.

High Street, and even backstreet, rents and rates are crippling to small businesses. Some have industrial units, some even manufacturer in the shed at home. A lot of niche market traders also spend a lot of time at shows, and they may not have enough people to man a store back home.

The downsides are that
- there is not always someone to answer the phone.

- not all traders are savvy about eBusiness.
- there is no shop to go and 'look and feel' the merchandise (but as most models shops can be some distance away we would only rarely go).
- for some traders it is no more than a paying hobby (frustrating to many potential customers wanting to order or awaiting a response, or delivery)

The upsides are
- we can order 24 hours (altough we may have to wait a few days if the trader is away).
- the trader can carry more stock
- with a strong online presence the trader is more likely to be there next year.

There is a catch 22 here. Some traders do so little trade that they rarely check email etc. Or is it the other way round.

From a business perspective.
With smart phones there is no longer an excuse not to check email while we are away. We don't even need to fire up the computer. We can also check to see if the website is working. If we don't you will lose some of our customers to other traders who are easier/more convenient to deal with. It is something we can do at the hotel, or slack time, if we are at the show. It does not take long, and every email is a potential sale. We can even do it in the car while we wait for someone at the hairdressers.

From a personal customer perspective.
Having travelled 120 miles to visit one trader, who never answered the phone or email, I arrive to find that he had gone out shopping for the day. I know this as his mobile number was on a card in his workshop window, and I called him. I only wanted to spend 400 quid. As it was I spent the money on something else, a loss of revenue to the hobby trade.

All the bigger traders have an online presence, some only have an online presence. They are nearly all newish enterprises. Most of the shops that have gone did not have an online presence. Some of the traders we know and love have a global customer base. Without the internet they would be just another high street trader, if they were still trading.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 05:49:52 am »

Well they can't be doing to bad. I noticed when looking for model boat shows etc that they sponser several around them. Assuming that its the same A model World
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 10:35:06 pm »

thething84 you are correct in your assumptions

Dave

Starchild

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 10:50:24 pm »

Hi, I got a reply this evening:  :-)

"We haven't any stock as we speak   we expect about 6 to 8 weeks as we buydirect and not through Graupner    we can take a deposit if you wish

Regards Mark "

Sadly he is empty for the Titanic :/ But, I guess waiting 6-8 weeks aint bad for this beauty :D

But, is taking a deposit usual in Britain? In Norway that is highly warned about! And we just get on a written waiting list, to get contacted when item is back in stock. And the get a new question about we still want it, or not..

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 10:55:36 pm »

Yes it is  I run my own Business and allways take a deposit from a customer before ordering any part.

This is simpy bcause so many people suddenly decide to cancel the order at the last minute....at least as a trader you will protect yourself with a deposit....and a deposit is usually NON refundable.

Dave

Starchild

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 10:59:41 pm »

Ok, thanks again Dave :) Cant wait to get the Titanic here :)

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 11:09:50 pm »

Dont blame you at all seen one and they look simply AWSOME really is a lovely model

Dave

Starchild

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 11:17:53 pm »

Indeed they do  :-)  I have only seen them in pictures online, but you just cant belive its just a multi production rc boat. Actualle, they look even better that the handcrafted wooden ones too. Awesome!  :D

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 11:26:11 pm »

The taking of a deposit is common practice here in Australia, as it shows good faith on the part of the buyer. It is particularly important where a supplier has to specially order in something for a customer, as it gives the supplier confidence that the customer will proceed with the order.

Peter.

Starchild

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 12:20:33 am »

Thank you very much for that information Andy :) I understand the posision of the seller to be a personal small business, and I do understand that he dont want to get stucked with many models, if buyers back out in the last minute. So with all the good words about him from others that know him, one just sometimes have to trust :)

And thank you for the links :) They might be usefull in the future :)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 09:47:34 am »

Indeed they do  :-)  I have only seen them in pictures online, but you just cant belive its just a multi production rc boat. Actualle, they look even better that the handcrafted wooden ones too. Awesome!  :D

indeed they are starchild.......my local hobby shop in Lancaster had one in stock for some months, and I would drool over it weekly......they sold it in the end, but was amazed at howe such a beautifully detailed model could be made for and sold for such a low price at just around a grand.
you won't be dissappointed.

neil.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 12:16:15 pm »

we went to a small community cafe yesterday, after we had paid for our jacket potatoes one of the staff popped across the road to the market stall and came back with some potatoes - I suppose it avoids waste and unused stock (also meant they were quite fresh)(and as it happens jolly tasty)
Grendel

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 12:56:13 pm »

I have no problems at all with Mark , indeed i have just received an order from him ( ordered on Thursday afternoon) good service and knowlegeable bloke.
in my own little world

Tony Marlow

• Shipmate
  • How time flies
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 02:12:42 pm »

Graupner.de are quoting 01/10 for delivery

That would be great, thank you :)

Btw, would you reccomend that store? I live in Norway and all stores are out of a Graupner Titanic here. And I just GOT to have one  :}  But on the other hand, I know nothing about that shop..

Andy, thanks, but i prefer emails  :embarrassed:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.