Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFA/Como drills motors  (Read 3884 times)

Willit

MFA/Como drills motors
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:08:04 pm »

Hi all,
i have just removed the first motor from one of my boats, and it is best to say it is truelly knackered.  It won't move under power in either direction and its rough to turn so its obvious somethings off inside.  It feels like a magnets shifted or something.  Either that or the brushes are wrecked.  Its lasted me 3 years (its a 380 btw, so 3 to 7.2v).  Is this a good lifespan for a fairly well used motor, or am I best looking for something else?  Its run very well right up until the end so I was quite pleased (i was equally pleased that the boat was in a small pond when the motor packed it in!)

all my boats bar my springer tug (which has a Monoperm) have Como Drills motors in, stemming from me and dads first boat, a mount fleet Active which has quite possibly the biggest Como motor you can get, rendering her totally overpowered!.  I just want to hear others opinions of the Como motors before I replace the motor and spend money.  The boat it was in was quite small so it wasn't being taxed.

ta

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MFA/Como drills motors
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 10:29:58 pm »

Depends what type of boat you have and what the motor is for ie speed. The motors in RC Cars are frequently binned after one season's running. Many drivers skim the motor after every 3 or 4 races. So, if you were using the motor for racing boats or even if you weren't, 3 years is a good life.

MFA motors are not at the cutting edge of performance or speed IMO but they do a good job. With a better motor, you may find the duration of your batteries is significantly improved.

Willit

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 11:02:54 am »

its a tug, and being a tug isn't called upon to break any records, although it can go quite quick if in a tight spot.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 07:35:37 pm »

If you know the motor speed you could go up to a 5 series MFA motor, wont improve performance much but will be understressed and should last a lot longer.
Or just change like for like and change every 3 yrs.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Willit

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 07:53:04 pm »

yes I did consider replacing it with a 450 which I think is near 6 to 15v.  But I think I'll go with another 380, its cheap and runs well so I'll stick with it.

thanks for the advice
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.