Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Joffre build  (Read 34587 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Joffre build
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2015, 01:17:00 am »

Congratulations 'youngfella' ....a beautifully detailed build :-)) ....[but you are only a few more days of wisdom over me] {-) ...... Derek

LOL, thanks Derek, just a tad over.  :-))
Happy New Year.

John

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2015, 04:45:55 am »

Happy New to all & a special thank to John who was thoughtful enough to give me a call & ask how I was doing. That is one beautiful build you have done there but your train engine out shines most things we get to see on here. I guess I will have to be patient to see it finished, it is a work of art. Mick B.
Mick B.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2015, 11:57:18 am »

Happy New to all & a special thank to John who was thoughtful enough to give me a call & ask how I was doing. That is one beautiful build you have done there but your train engine out shines most things we get to see on here. I guess I will have to be patient to see it finished, it is a work of art. Mick B.

Happy New Year to you and Phylis , Mick. The King will get done. The Joffre is just about done (got some more done on it yesterday) then I'll go back to the King. I want to see it air tested before winter is over

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2015, 09:53:09 pm »

More progress, after getting the rigging done, I went on to do the lifeboats. The kit provides vacuum formed lifeboats with intrenal components of plywood.
The vacuum formed hull has to be cut from the overall sheet. You can do the basic cutting with a knife for the removal from the sheet, however, I found scissors were better for getting the final cut to the shape of the hull. A knife tended to suddenly cut fast, and not necessarily where you wanted it to cut (i.e. lack of control).
Next cut the internal formers out of the marked plywood sheet using a sharp hobby knife. Clean them up with sandpaper to get a uniform shape. I started by fitting the seat peice into the uhull. This required a bit of sanding and trimming to get a good fit. Don't glue it in place at this point. Next trim the dcuk  boards to fit. Using some scrpa 1/16 square (or similar wood)  make three cross brases for the duck boards. These serve to hold the duck boards together, and provide a means of gluing them into the hull. When set, fit them into the hull and glue into place. I used 5 minute epoxy to hold mine.
When set, insert the seat frame and use Cyano to fasten into place. The railing cap comes next. Turn the cap upside down on the bench and place the lifeboat, upside down, over the cap. Run cyano along the under side of the cap where it meets the lifeboat. When set, do a final sand of the cap to clean up its over hang on the lifeboat.
Finally stain or paint the wooden bits to suit. I weathered the inside of the hulls a bit to give them a more used look.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2015, 01:03:47 am »

The last thing I did was paint a liberal black wash over the vessel using heavily diluted acrylic paint (Ebony Black) with a spot of soap detergent to make it flow.. It gives a certain shading, weathering and appearance of use about the vessel that I find satisfying.
  I think , at this point, I'm going to call the Joffre complete, at least as far as the kit instructions are concerned. I have to add the rigging to the lifeboat davits. I want to add some further detail such as the canvas wind guard around the steering deck railings, hausers and assorted tools and bits on the deck, that can alll add life to the vessel. I may put pictures up of those additions some point in the future, but for now I'm calling the build complete.
 Thankyou for following along. Its been an interesting build, with a fine prodcut for a tug fan like myself.

John

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2015, 01:39:56 pm »

Hi John,
Nice build. I am in the middle of building a Joffre myself, and have followed your build log with great interest. My father built one many years ago. After his death I had to find a home for his boats, so some, including the Joffre, where donated to the model boat museum at Beale Park in the UK. The stand he had made for the Joffre was a conventional design just like yours and I saw that the Hull had some serious dents in it from where it had been on it's stand, perhaps stored with the SLA battery in situ. Consequently I have made my stand so that the weight of the boat is entirely supported by the keel, like a real boat would be in dry dock. Just a suggestion.

Cheers, Terry.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2015, 01:56:20 pm »

Hi John,
Nice build. I am in the middle of building a Joffre myself, and have followed your build log with great interest. My father built one many years ago. After his death I had to find a home for his boats, so some, including the Joffre, where donated to the model boat museum at Beale Park in the UK. The stand he had made for the Joffre was a conventional design just like yours and I saw that the Hull had some serious dents in it from where it had been on it's stand, perhaps stored with the SLA battery in situ. Consequently I have made my stand so that the weight of the boat is entirely supported by the keel, like a real boat would be in dry dock. Just a suggestion.

Cheers, Terry.

Terry:  Thanks for your observation and suggestion. I intended this for a build cradle actually. For my heavy vessels I build something along the lines of what you have recommended (see pic of my Master). that will be the next project.

cheers
John

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2015, 08:53:06 pm »

Nice one John :-))

A good build, along with some useful tips / info - and a pleasant log too - well done :-))

Regards,

Ray.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2015, 12:57:18 pm »

Nice one John :-))

A good build, along with some useful tips / info - and a pleasant log too - well done :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Thanks very much Ray, Greatly appreciated. Its always nice to hear when something is appreciated, and I'm happy you found this one worthwhile.

all the best
John

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2015, 12:25:30 am »

Hi John just caught up with your build great job and useful tips I have the plans for this and may scratch build it ,just wondering about the navigation lights maybe my old eyes but can,t see them have to look at my plans
Cheers
John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2015, 02:01:35 am »

Hi John just caught up with your build great job and useful tips I have the plans for this and may scratch build it ,just wondering about the navigation lights maybe my old eyes but can,t see them have to look at my plans
Cheers
John

Hi John
No, your eyes aren't deceiving you. I'm going to make a set from scratch so the lights will work. I have to add those and the lifeboat tackle yet. I stopped because of other projects and the local hobby store wanted it for display in the store. I will finish it off.

John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 22 queries.