Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SURMOUNT  (Read 4575 times)

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
SURMOUNT
« on: March 03, 2013, 12:13:36 pm »

Hello ,
          Have been messing about with a Surmount yacht , fitted new rigging lines and stainless steel adjustable screws ,
     modifide winch new cover got rid of egg shall cover,   but still stuck how to set up winch lines , need to now  how to set up jib and main ,
    to balance sails and and to adjust sail curves,   seen some mods on here some ware, but since new software fitted ,
  lost a few , bits now back on windows 7 , got rid of rubish windows 8 >>:-( so can any body help ,   new to sail ..........cheers Larry.....
never pass a skip

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SURMOUNT
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 09:50:34 pm »

Hello ,
          Have been messing about with a Surmount yacht , fitted new rigging lines and stainless steel adjustable screws ,
     modifide winch new cover got rid of egg shall cover,   but still stuck how to set up winch lines , need to now  how to set up jib and main ,
    to balance sails and and to adjust sail curves,   seen some mods on here some ware, but since new software fitted ,
  lost a few , bits now back on windows 7 , got rid of rubish windows 8 >>:-( so can any body help ,   new to sail ..........cheers Larry.....

Hi LarryW
One of my favourite boats....
The original winch setup - the eggshell cover or its equivalent is essential to keep the winch lines in the winch spool sheaves. Also the diameter of the winch line and type of line is important as with the wrong line it will get out of the correct sheave. The sheet lines are installed so that when the winch rotates anticlockwise the sheet line is paid out. The slots in the cover should each line up with (only) one of the sheaves - the upper sheave should be the mainsail sheet I believe.
How to set up jib and main - a big subject....
To get you started - disconnect the sheets to the winch. THEN wind the winch to where you want the "sheeted in" position. THEN reattach the mainsail sheet to the boom - the boom should point to a corner of the transom. THEN connect the jib sheet to the jib boom - the boom should point halfway between the mast and the shrouds. This will give you some basic positions to get started.....
Avoid sheeting out too much, many radios give you FAR too much travel on the winch, resulting in tangles....
Lots more on Surmount at www.shipshaperc.com 

Amateur at work...

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 12:11:41 am »

Perfect advice from Mrpenguin. Agree. I found the rigging line supplied wouldn't hold a knot so when I was happy with the my settings I put a drop of super glue on each knot. Also the jibboom swivel broke early on. Replaced with similar but heavier gauge from fishing shop. Lot of backlash in steering yoke cured with quick set epoxy. Next mod is to get a decent seal on the hatch. At present I have closed cell foam stuck to under edges of hatch with the whole lot held down tight(and dry) with a strip of duct tape over deck sides. Looking for a better way, honest. I'm really pleased with the way she sails. Enjoy.
Jerry.

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 02:24:16 pm »

Hello mrpenquin,
      Thank you for input and advice, had a look at shipshaperc, a lot input by you there  , but dont seem to like Surmount .     
        and have to purtchase a e book to join,   and mostley local ausi input not many poms on there , but still a good  helpfull site,
         i get some good advice on mayhem, when its model input ......... :-)) .......so please keep the advice coming .........cheers Larry...
never pass a skip

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 02:38:15 pm »

Hello  Triumpjon,
 Nice to here from you returning your message on forum,  thank you for info on Wee nip .....
       thought i would have another go at rag and string boats after being rubish at FOOTYS     also have a JENNY on the go ...
 looking for a sail maker in the Bristol area some body says there is one in the  Kingwood area  no luck yet finding him...
      have cut out parts of WEENIP and will have a go when weather gets better to use outside work shop ... :-)) .......cheers Larry....
never pass a skip

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 08:07:09 pm »

regarding sails in bristol area try waverley models he might know,been around a long time ...very helpful   slug

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 05:30:22 pm »

Hi all ,
        Having a good time sailing Surmont ,    surprised how well it copes with gusty wind changes does any body else own this yacht ,
                     and made any changes ,     if so what ...?...i add extra strip lead to keel and resrtict on blowy days,
                  nest mod will be a new masthead crane, plastic one looking supect, 
                   cheers Larry...
never pass a skip

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 07:02:35 pm »

I've been very happy with mine. Except for sealing the hatch. She sails well in winds up to force 3 and is useless above that. You can't really add weight to the keel cos she's on her marks as she is. You can lengthen the keel which will keep her upright a bit more but I would advise a smaller set of sails for anything above F3. They don't have to look much smaller to effect the handling a lot. If you remove a panel parallel to the leach or the boom on each sail you will reduce the sail area and also lower the center of effort of each sail thus reducing the capsizing moment in both force and distance. C of E will move forward a little possibly causing lee helm. If this is so reduce the area of the jib still further. If it works let me know and I'll give it a go :D.
Jerry.

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 09:00:54 pm »

Thank you for reply
                           Jerryc and Triumpjon,
                              no new sails yet, as for hatch seal , have a load of hatch patches cut out of sticky back plastic.
                               and power switch mounted on deck with water proof cover so no need to break seal while sailing,
                       also down haul sheets adjustable so are sail booms ...cheers larry..
never pass a skip

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 02:01:45 am »

RE the hatch - I always just tape mine - white electrical tape works great and looks Ok. I seal the hatch up before I leave home and open her up once I return.... dry as a bone inside...
Also added an external power switch for convenience.
I have not found any need to add more weight.
I have replaced all the bowsies as the original ones break quite easily, have also replaced all standing rigging with Dyneema - the original was pretty stretchy......
Broke the mast crane recently (result of a collision with another boat while racing) - made an aluminium one to replace it, pretty straightforward.
I also modified the winch to continuous loop - details of the mod are earlier in this thread - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWhI3F_MY74&feature=player_detailpage
We have some fun racing the HobbyKing boats locally - video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7YoVGWSomAQ
Amateur at work...

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 02:15:28 pm »

Hello mrpenguin,
 i follow you on shipshaperc ,    you you seem to be the main man there seem to be a ausie site of chines boats and you bye a load of ebooks to join,
       so will stick with good old mahem,  but your vids are very well done, and you give good tips so thank you,.....larry..
never pass a skip

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 12:55:27 am »

@LarryW:
Thanks for the feedback, happy to share ideas.

Just for the record - I am not in any way connected with the ShipshapeRC site, apart from being a member and a regular poster - I have been a member for a couple of years. ShipShapeRC is a specialty site for the budget Chinese boats (Shunbo, Beili, Joysway etc). The (combined) eBook is good value IMHO, particularly for those starting out in sailing with a cheap boat - the idea of buying the book to get to be a member was instigated as a defence against spam attacks as I understand it. There is a lot of other discussion among members that is not visible to non-members. 

I am a regular visitor Mayhem, as it provides a much broader focus into a wide range of boats, not only sailboats, without the broader spread into other RC such as RCGroups.

I spend a good bit of time trawling the working model builds - great stuff..

Amateur at work...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.